Stadium tributes announced

Mikhailichenko

RANGERS today announced that two tributes commemorating the 40th Anniversary of the Ibrox Disaster and the Club's Founding Fathers will be unveiled at the end of December 2010.

Following discussions between the club and supporters, two giant images will be produced which will cover the big screens in the stadium.

Founding Fathers PaintingFans voted unanimously for the Founding Fathers and the 40th Anniversary of the Ibrox Disaster to be the subject of the giant images. These are part of a number of tributes already in place by the Club with other proposals being considered.

In addition to the two giant tribute images, which will be created by Impact Signs, the Club is continuing its ongoing programme to reflect its formation date in 1872 with work starting on the Govan Stand signage this week.

With documentary evidence being confirmed for some time that Rangers played its first game in 1872, not 1873, the Club has been undertaking a programme to reflect this revised date. 1872 will be displayed on top of the Govan Stand from today, with the dates on each end of the Main Stand to be changed in due course.

Martin Bain commented: "Feedback from our supporters is always important to the Club and we have worked in conjunction with the fans to bring this project to fruition.

"Today's announcement reflects comments received at the AGM together with a period of consultation between the Club and the fans which has been extremely positive and productive.

Rangers today announced that two tributes commemorating the 40th Anniversary of the Ibrox Disaster and the Club's Founding Fathers will be unveiled at the end of December 2010.

Following discussions between the club and supporters, two giant images will be produced which will cover the big screens in the stadium.

Fans voted unanimously for the Founding Fathers and the 40th Anniversary of the Ibrox Disaster to be the subject of the giant images. These are part of a number of tributes already in place by the Club with other proposals being considered.

In addition to the two giant tribute images, which will be created by Impact Signs, the Club is continuing its ongoing programme to reflect its formation date in 1872 with work starting on the Govan Stand signage this week.

With documentary evidence being confirmed for some time that Rangers played its first game in 1872, not 1873, the Club has been undertaking a programme to reflect this revised date. 1872 will be displayed on top of the Govan Stand from today, with the dates on each end of the Main Stand to be changed in due course.

Martin Bain commented: "Feedback from our supporters is always important to the Club and we have worked in conjunction with the fans to bring this project to fruition.

"Today's announcement reflects comments received at the AGM together with a period of consultation between the Club and the fans which has been extremely positive and productive.

"Greater recognition of the Founding Fathers is an issue that has been raised with me on a number of occasions by the fans and this was therefore an obvious choice.

"Commemorating those who lost their lives in the 1971 Ibrox Disaster is also fundamentally important to the Club and supporters and as we approach the 40th Anniversary we will pay tribute to those who never returned from that Old Firm derby.

"I would like to thank all the supporters who have approached the club with ideas for the images and we look forward to seeing them in place. Work has also started today in the Govan Stand reflecting the Club's 1872 formation date and this will continue between now and the end of the season as part of an ongoing programme."

Martin Bain, John Greig and Sandy Jardine pay their respects at the Ibrox Disaster MemorialAndy Kerr, President of the Rangers Supporters Assembly, said: "All fans will welcome the news that two of the most significant events in the Club's proud history are being commemorated in this way.

"The work carried out by a group of fans to trace, record and celebrate the founding of the Club and more recent work to pay tribute to those fans that lost their lives in the Ibrox disaster has been truly outstanding.

"The images and the new signage will be a testimony to their dedication and loyalty. I'm sure every Rangers fan will feel very proud when the images are unveiled."

Sounds good.

Just get fucking rid of them. They're a complete eyesore.

When the financial situation has improved, Rangers should remove them and increase the capacity of Ibrox.

I suggested this on the 'how would you improve Ibrox thread'

I also suggested a new lick of paint, something whicht the Broomloan rear was given a few weeks back. :)

Sad thing is the Broomloan rear is becoming a fucking cresh :anguish:

Pretty sure this is where RFCsince1690 has his season ticket.

dont really think we need any more seating if im honest !! just look at attendances... and no, i dont make it to many games.

get the screens fixed, they are a good feature of a stadium i think

(tu) Theres fuck all wrong with screens, we cant fill ibrox as it is so no need for extra seats at all