When we had Dick Advocaat

Mansion

That team was so good that within three short years the show was well and truly over. The extremely over-rated Martin O Neil came, and his team bullied a Rangers team?- no thank you.

I do not have a great deal of time for the crocodile tears quoted by Miller about leaving The Rangers, but as a subtext you do see something of the essence in a Walter Smith team- it is almost a brotherhood. Walter has the management game sussed, he knows how to get the players together etc. 'Character' is the word.

yep,

the op mentioned the morale of the advocaat team- i would argue that they werent mentally strong enough, didnt have good enough morale or however you want to put it. thats why we didnt make more of an impact in europe with the quality we had. when you consider the calibre of players, the fact that the 2008 team got so much further in europe speaks volumes about the character of the respective squads. How many teams did we beat during advocaats era who you could honestly say were ahead of us in terms of quality? Parma, thats about it. we were unlucky against bayern, but when you think of the monaco and galatasaray, or dortmund sides that we went out to, none of them you would say were ahead of us in terms of quality of players available, wages, money spent on squad etc. The 2008 side had a win over lyon, bremen, lisbon, fiorentina,all teams that were expected to beat us.

yep,

the op mentioned the morale of the advocaat team- i would argue that they werent mentally strong enough, didnt have good enough morale or however you want to put it. thats why we didnt make more of an impact in europe with the quality we had. when you consider the calibre of players, the fact that the 2008 team got so much further in europe speaks volumes about the character of the respective squads. How many teams did we beat during advocaats era who you could honestly say were ahead of us in terms of quality? Parma, thats about it. we were unlucky against bayern, but when you think of the monaco and galatasaray, or dortmund sides that we went out to, none of them you would say were ahead of us in terms of quality of players available, wages, money spent on squad etc. The 2008 side had a win over lyon, bremen, lisbon, fiorentina,all teams that were expected to beat us.

They were lightweight, and one of the things that pained me about that period was to see a Rangers team bullied by them. We made martin o neil look a genius. was it worth it?-no.

The same Dutch clique that included Ricksen and Konterman

The same Dutch clique that caused the dressing room to split.

Yes some of them were good..a few were very good but never again do i want to see such a large contingent of foreign players and coaches at our club at the same time.

Correct.

(tu)

Another of the annoying things was you always felt we were two signings away from being an amazing side.

How hard did we try and get a striker? The Flo signing was folly, but there was a context to this- we could not get a decent one to come for love or money. We bid 12 million for Kovavevic from Juve, it was if he was coming and then 'no'.

Without knowing who they all are and having absolutely no desire to find out i make it that the Scottish/British Club playing in Scotland has out of a squad of 32 players only 12 who are British.And even then i am sure you will find people like McGinn and McCourt spewing at that description.

Interestingly our 1st team squad also contains 32 players of which only 7 are not British.

Lukasz Zaluska

Fraser Forster

Dominic Cervi

Andreas Hinkel

Emilio Izaguirre

Efrain Juarez

Daniel Majstorovic

Cha Du-Ri

Mark Wilson

Charlie Mulgrew

Glenn Loovens

Thomas Rogne

Milan Misun

Freddie Ljungberg

Scott Brown

Niall Mcginn

Joe Ledley

Marc Crosas

Ki Sung-Yong

Paddy McCourt

Paul Slane

Richard Towell

Biram Kayal

Graham Carey

James Forrest

Filip Twardzik

Georgios Samaras

Anthony Stokes

Shaun Maloney

Daryl Murphy

James Keatings

Gary Hooper

Far from defend them but Lennon sees it differently:

"I said I was trying to bring British and Irish players in, which I have done - Joe Ledley, Charlie Mulgrew, Daryl Murphy and Gary Hooper. I tried to go after Jimmy Bullard, David James and Sol Campbell but was unsuccessful.

"But all he could think about were the Israelis, South Koreans and Mexicans, who I think will enhance and improve the club anyway. So he is a bit economical with the truth there.

Irish, he's including! http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/celtic/2010/08/07/andy-walker-is-being-economical-with-the-truth-in-criticism-of-my-side-blasts-celtic-boss-neil-lennon-86908-22470840/

And that Dick team was certainly the best Rangers squad I've seen, and at 23 I'm glad I grew up with that or I might always have thought we were as boring as having a conservation with the my Dog.

How hard did we try and get a striker? The Flo signing was folly, but there was a context to this- we could not get a decent one to come for love or money. We bid 12 million for Kovavevic from Juve, it was if he was coming and then 'no'.

Yep, we were desperate to spend £10 mil on a striker- tristan, suker were another two i remember being mentioned

Another of the annoying things was you always felt we were two signings away from being an amazing side.

If everyone had been fit half way through the 00/01 season, we could've put out a team of:

Klos

Ricksen Amoruso Moore Numan

Reyna Ferguson Gio Albertz

de Boer

Flo

Ricksen the obvious weak link there but without question, that side could've made some serious impact on the European stage

Pity Moore and Van Bronckhorst were out with long term injuries, Ricksen was initially a massive flop, and Flo never did anything when it mattered

Agree with this.

We need now, more than ever, to preserve our identity.

Look at Arsenal - can they really be classed as an English team?

Naw! but do their supporters give a fuck? :rolleyes:

Apparently not, Gaz.

The same Dutch clique that included Ricksen and Konterman

The same Dutch clique that caused the dressing room to split.

Yes some of them were good..a few were very good but never again do i want to see such a large contingent of foreign players and coaches at our club at the same time.

Nail hit on head. (tu)

Advocaat was like a breath of fresh air after the stoic Walter ... although to be fair unlike today it's easy to have the feel good factor when you have a lot of money to spend.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened to Barry Ferguson if there had been no Advocaat because he was definitely drifting towards the exit at Ibrox (a bit like Fleck is now)