I’m Eck of a Gers fan

ShaneRalfRoss

I’m Eck of a Gers fan

By PAUL HUGHES

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

CAMERON JEROME never got round to telling Alex McLeish he was a Rangers fan.

But the Birmingham striker hopes dropping the bombshell before Sunday will seal his name on the Carling Cup Final teamsheet.

The St Andrews ace loved watching McLeish lift silverware during five years at Ibrox.

That's why he was thrilled when big Eck ended up becoming his boss at Birmingham.

And Jerome hopes once his gaffer discovers the soft spot for his old club, it will convince him to unleash the striker against Arsenal on Sunday.

He said: "I'd always been aware of the boss through his work with Rangers and Scotland.

"Rangers is my favourite Scottish club, so I was delighted when he came here.

"I've a favourite team in every league and Rangers were the ones I liked, probably because they were winning all the time.

"He did really well there and enjoyed great success with them.

"He had a great record with Scotland, so the big thing he brought here was a winning mentality.

"I've never actually mentioned to him that I'm a Rangers man.

"Maybe he'll see this before the game and decide to start me. I might even drop it into conversation to try and force his hand!

"He's a fair man and he doesn't pick anyone who doesn't deserve it. Whether you think he's right or wrong you just need to live with it because he's the boss."

With four goals this season, Jerome wants the chance to face the Gunners at Wembley.

If he does, the 24-year-old will look to ex-Ibrox skipper Barry Ferguson as the inspiration.

He said: "Barry doesn't think his first stint in the Premier League with Blackburn was a success.

"But he's a magnificent player for us and doesn't need to justify himself."

While Fergie's become a cult hero at St Andrews, Jerome insists it's McLeish who has really put the club on the map.

He added: "Everyone can see the impact Alex McLeish has made at this club.

"He came in halfway through a season and inherited a squad that wasn't his.The board backed him the following season and he went out and got the players he wanted.

"We have not had a really massive budget compared to some of the other clubs in this league.

"But I think he's spent pretty wisely and also used the loan market well.

"He's enhanced his reputation as an up and coming boss."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3432275/Im-Eck-of-a-Gers-fan.html#ixzz1EvPkuDdK

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of a pointless article. Barcelona are my favourite Spanish side. Roma are my favourite Italian side. Bayern Munich are probably my favourite German side. Like most football fans we often favour a successful side in a lot of leagues. Doesn't mean anything.

Also Birmingham have been utterly pish this season, them and Stoke play the worst football in the league. If it wasn't for Barry Ferguson Birmingham would be in the relegation zone, they're only 3 points off it at the moment.

Bit of a pointless article. Barcelona are my favourite Spanish side. Roma are my favourite Italian side. Bayern Munich are probably my favourite German side. Like most football fans we often favour a successful side in a lot of leagues. Doesn't mean anything.

Time of the month?

Also Birmingham have been utterly pish this season, them and Stoke play the worst football in the league. If it wasn't for Barry Ferguson Birmingham would be in the relegation zone, they're only 3 points off it at the moment.

do you hate everything?

do you hate everything?

If its who I think it is yes. He must live in a cupboard with no natural light with a sports bar like set of screens showing any major sport and news-getting more and more angry or finding an obscure way to have an anger-I believe, if I am right about who this is, that he would still find a way of knocking us, I actually believe he is a genuine fan, if we even won the CL.

If its who I think it is yes. He must live in a cupboard with no natural light with a sports bar like set of screens showing any major sport and news-getting more and more angry or finding an obscure way to have an anger-I believe, if I am right about who this is, that he would still find a way of knocking us, I actually believe he is a genuine fan, if we even won the CL.

Yeah you got me :anguish:. I'm actually at work just now :craphead: