Ally's View?

JCS

This morning's Sunday Express

'ALLY MCCOIST WON'T TAKE CHANCES'

Ally McCoist was assistant to Walter Smith when he bought Nikica Jelavic

ALLY McCOIST admits he can’t afford to repeat the signing gamble Walter Smith made on the eve of his final season as Rangers manager.

New Ibrox boss McCoist was assistant to Smith last summer when he opted to spend almost his entire transfer budget on £4million Croatian striker Nikica Jelavic.

That decision paid off in the season’s closing stages as Jelavic’s goals helped Rangers to the title, but McCoist is wary of trying the same trick.

McCoist would love a marquee signing of his own, but concedes the priority is quantity rather than quality as he attempts to bolster his threadbare Rangers squad on a limited budget.

He said: “We need to get bodies in rather than spend everything on one position again. That would be madness.

“We got away with it last year with Nikica. It worked a dream for us in the end, but I don’t think there’s any way we could take that chance again.

We need to get bodies in rather than spend everything on one position again

“We need too many players to do that again. Our four loan players – Vladimir Weiss, Kyle Bartley, El Hadji Diouf and Ricky Foster are all away and we had a small squad before that.

“We don’t need to panic because we know what we need and we have targets. It depends on finance and what we can afford.

“The first thing we need to do is strengthen defensively, but the scouting boys here have been brilliant and built up a good portfolio of players.”

I never read to much into these newspaper articles, but the rather 'downbeat' tone is worrying, particularly the quantity over quality remark - if, indeed, he made the remark at all!

Taken with the transfer 'issues' that have emerged in recent weeks, it is not very promising.

Looks as though we're going to lose out on Goodwillie if all today's papers are accurate. Apparantly he is due to undergo a medical at cardiff on Monday. Personally, I'm quite happy with that, it has been my view all along that the asking price was grossly inflated for an average player. I feel the same way about Lee wallace.

I do hope that Ally's comments about the 'scouting boys being brilliant' is true, we do need to have a long list at the rate we're 'losing' our openly identified targets.

I for one am starting to thi k there is no transf budget and mccoist hast to get players in for as littleas possible or nothing.

Every day that goes by and eery article i read we look like we have absolutel no plan, no idea,no vision.

Squad was bare to say the least last year but we lost 4 and only bringin in 5!!! Domthe maths.

Surely ti fuck we need this 4 plus an additional 5! Likelyhood zero!

Whyte looks to be an absolute blow bag! Filled our heads and hearts full of hope and till now not delivered.

I am not to worried at present but i nedd the first signing made in order to calm me down!

Mccoist smith and whyte need to start saying fk allmto press and GET THERE FINGERS OUT THERE ARSES!

The amount of folk stressing cos he haven't splashed the cash yet is worrying.

we're not just gonna open up the chequebook and sign players that are not worth what Rangers value them at.

They should stop looking in Harrod's then and get to M&S or Debenhams.

Sounds like Ally hasn't got much money to spend. I think we're just replacing loan deals with other loan deals. There's no stability to a team if you keep doing that. Eventually, we'll need to buy players. Whyte promised £5m per season which would be "front ended" if need be.

dundee utd is more like the £shop to be fair. its not Ally's fault that Utd would rather sell their souls to the devil than sell a player to us.

They would sell to us if we met their valuation, something Cardiff will do if reports are to believed.

Don't be surprised if we sell McGregor should a really hefty offer come in..Ally looks like he is covering up for Whyte here and that we have no money to spend.

Bottom line is we need 6 quality players and they don't come at £5k a week or for £1m when they are valued at £2m or £3m..

I'm never a doom merchant but the signs are not good...

They would sell to us if we met their valuation, something Cardiff will do if reports are to believed.

if you went to buy a car you valued at £4000 but the boy was selling for £7000 you wouldn't just buy it cos someone else was willing to pay £7000 would you? nah you'd shop around for a similar car at £4000

Don't be surprised if we sell McGregor should a really hefty offer come in..Ally looks like he is covering up for Whyte here and that we have no money to spend.

Bottom line is we need 6 quality players and they don't come at £5k a week or for £1m when they are valued at £2m or £3m..

I'm never a doom merchant but the signs are not good...

I'm sorry but ur talking shite,shopping in the correct Market can get u quality on the cheap. I hate using that lot as an example but here goes...

Izzaguire 3k a wk

Kaya 7k a wk

10k a wk In total, so on average 5k a wk per player.

Buying from the spl and epl Comes with over inflation. I mean Lee Wallace for £1mill ffs!!?!

if you went to buy a car you valued at £4000 but the boy was selling for £7000 you wouldn't just buy it cos someone else was willing to pay £7000 would you? nah you'd shop around for a similar car at £4000

If it was up for 7 grand I wouldn't even waste my time, unless I was just trying to impress someone into thinking that I was serious about it.

Sad to see a Rangers manager defending a lack of cash to sign quality, whatever happened to the front end loading of the transfer budget if required, does our manager think front end loading is not required ?

Whatever is going on is slowly but surely slipping towards the obvious question about available funds, and previous statements made by the new board and in particular our MD.

The worst possible scenario is that the former chairman's comments, come to fruition, which in turn raises a lot more questions.

I'm sorry but ur talking shite,shopping in the correct Market can get u quality on the cheap. I hate using that lot as an example but here goes...

Izzaguire 3k a wk

Kaya 7k a wk

10k a wk In total, so on average 5k a wk per player.

Buying from the spl and epl Comes with over inflation. I mean Lee Wallace for £1mill ffs!!?!

2 average players who look good against St Johnstone.

Kayal is ok..just a hot head like lego eater and his manager//Izzaguire is fast and can cross a ball but has been shown up on numerous occasions..So decent SPL but doubt they could really make the step up.

I can't believe fans want us to rush out and buy any old person just to appease themselves. I would rather ally took his time and made the correct signings at the end of the window than the wrong ones just now. The fact is even 10m doesn't look much compared to how many players we need.

I still think the goodwillie saga will continue for another few weeks as I don't think he is in any hurry and if we do sign him he will easily be second choice after jelavic and wotlrth 4m end of next season.

No but you would find out how much the guy was wanting for it before you went around promising folk a lift.

I can't believe fans want us to rush out and buy any old person just to appease themselves. I would rather ally took his time and made the correct signings at the end of the window than the wrong ones just now. The fact is even 10m doesn't look much compared to how many players we need.

I still think the goodwillie saga will continue for another few weeks as I don't think he is in any hurry and if we do sign him he will easily be second choice after jelavic and wotlrth 4m end of next season.

He's known, officially, since February that he was taking over the role and that we would have an early start to the season. He had two new scouts employed and also had himself, Clipboard and Durrant taking in matches across Europe and even took a trip to South America. Hemed apart, our targets were available to view on the BBC on a Saturday fucking night!

Something doesn't add up somewhere along the line.

do u think if he went out and just snapped players up like that or like most seem to want that they same people will be the ones getting on his case for not doing his job right at the first opportunity, calling for him to go as he is an amateur and has signed the wrong players?

The amount of folk stressing cos he haven't splashed the cash yet is worrying.

we're not just gonna open up the chequebook and sign players that are not worth what Rangers value them at.

Who values them then Whyte so DG is not worth 2mil or is he a just tight fisted.

Who values them then Whyte so DG is not worth 2mil or is he a just tight fisted.

its certainly not us fans for which i am gratefull for, he is a succesfull businessman afterall and im sure he has a long term strategy, tight fisted or good business, i know which i would portray as going on at the moment, not tight but cautious perhaps

I totally agree with you. I would lve to see ally wait and make the right signings.

Problem is he keeps yapping to the press about the fact we have hee haw ti spend. Surely ti god if he learned anything from walter was ti keep the fkn mouth shut!! We have lost out on 3 players. We only know this cause mccoist and co keep fkn tellin folk! Keep the mouth shut and say nothing about nothing!