Maurice Edu Center Back

rangersxfc

That's funny, Muff (The admin) had him down as second best as well, go and call him a retard. I'd love to see what happens ;).

Already seen people go on this website for much less, like the whole sandy scenario were about 10 posters were banned for a bit of fun :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Biased or not, Maurice Edu is a better option that Lee McCulloch - he is absolutely woeful.

Damn right we need a midfielder to partner Steven Davis, someone with the quality of a Davis, McGregor, Naismith, Jelavic... not some mediocre SPL midfielder who rarely stands out (Davidson) or a British Isles/foreigner, with the same standard of quality.

The middle of the park and midfield in general has been poor for too long, and we struggle especially in the central area.

Edu has a better engine, fitness level, pace, he closes down a lot better. He may not be as strong as McCulloch but he still gets about. His movement and positioning is better, he goes from box-to-box and get's into good positions.

His passing and touch is cronic, he takes too many touches to get get the ball under control and he doesn't lift his head enough.

If it's between McCulloch and Edu for a starting place, then it should be Maurice Edu - he offers more than Lee McCulloch.

Ness has not proven anything. He has looked good in spells, but he needs to get fit and remain free from injury before he can be fully judged.

Ill give you movement and positioning and he gets into better positions but I don't know about fitter and better engine.

McCulloch closes down better IMO and probably has the best workrate apart from Naismith.

Edu has no touch, is a poor passer, poor in the tackle and a shitebag.

Surely someone who lacks in the basics so much and lets not forget is very injury prone should not be considered our 2nd best midfielder when we have McCulloch who not only is a better footballer but he has the ability to play in a certain role in the team and has proved he can play beside Davis and bring out the best in Davis and he has great workrate and strength which are pretty key in the league we play in.

A fully fit Ness is not better just now either, not played regularly to prove he is better. Has potential but people are getting carried away, Ness has yet to produce the same standard that Edu has against the likes of Valencia, Man United etc.

Over the last few three seasons Edu has been better than McCulloch and our best performances last season was with Edu and Davis, that's not even debatable.

McCulloch could only dream of putting in those type of performances against top class opposition. McCulloch is a stronger tackler but his challenges mostly result in conceding fouls and receiving yellow cards, not to mention how slow on the ball he is. Edu was much more comfortable on the ball than Jig on Saturday.

McCulloch is better in the air, stronger and a better tackler but that's it. Genuinely have no idea how anybody rates Lee McCulloch.

He was great against Valencia but the Man United amazing performance thing is a myth.

Of course our best performances last season were with Edu and Davis because McCulloch picked up a bad injury, but our worst performances last season were with Davis and Edu and thats not debatable either. Lets not forget how fucking terrible Edu was last season mate.

And has been better the last few seasons ? his first 2 seasons he was plagued with injurys and last season he was considered our worst players so I dont know were you are getting that pish from.

Saturday they both did nothing of note but McCulloch was pinging the ball about and played a couple of great long range passes which is more than I can remember Edu doing.

Arguing whether or not McCulloch is better than Edu is a bit like saying...."whats would you rather get.....AIDS or Herpes?". :disappointment:

Truthful answer to both questions is they are both rotten and id rather have neither!

Big Jig used to do a job coming in off the left, and Edu has had a (very) few decent games, but we need to give Stevie Davis a bit of help in there, i doubt whether he can drag this team....it its current form....to another Championship.

Don't think it was a myth mate, in-fact I remember Edu and Bougherra getting extreme praise over their performances. Think both got an 8 rating from Sky Sports as the two best players.

Well I disagree because I find it very debatable, will even mention the exact games that we very poor in last season.

Rangers 1-1 ICT - Edu, McCulloch and Davis, Edu scored and went off with a knock at HT 1-0 up.

Valencia 3-0 Rangers - Edu, Jig and Davis in 5 man midfield.

Rangers 0-3 Hibs - Edu, Jig and Davis. Edu subbed injured in first half

ICT 1-1 Rangers - McCulloch and Davis

Rangers 0-2 Celtic - McCulloch, Ness and Davis

Hearts 1-0 Rangers - McCulloch, Davis, Ness and Edu

Rangers 2-2 Celtic - Davis, Edu and Ness

Celtic 3-0 Rangers - Bartley, Davis and Edu

Walter resorted to a 3-5-2 and our football was horrible, but we manage to grind out results. Remember reading comments from people in matchday threads saying how Edu was playing better and one our best players at St Johnstone etc. He had a terrible run when he came back from injury I have never disagreed with that notion, because it's fact. Albeit the badwagon(not saying yourself) took it to extreme levels. Edu took time to get back into things but played his part in a key time in our club winning the championship for the third time in three seasons.

Going by those games and whom started I think it's a fair comment to say that it's a myth our worst performances were a combination of Davis and Edu in CM, that was what actually won us the title in the end when we resorted to a 4-4-2.

Edu certainly performed better than McCulloch and was involved in our best displays last season. Forced his way into the team in 08-09 and did more over the season than Lee. Was injured season before last so Lee certainly contributed more, so I would say Edu won 2-1 over the last three seasons. Certainly not a 'pish' assumption.

Well many seemed to disagree in the ratings thread as Edu was getting higher scores, the difference between the two was night and day, IMO

At the end of the day we will just need to agree to disagree on this one Paul. (tu)

Sorry but most of this is wrong.

You picked games we never won in during a season and looked at who was playing, McCulloch got injured against Hearts and we then had to play Edu and Davis together in midfield and we went on a real poor run of form and were scraping results and Edu was getting absolutely hounded on here. I can remember it clear as day. This was the period Weir and Edu got hounded on here, after he got injured we drew 2-2 with Celtic in a terrible performance got destroyed at Parkhead 3-0 then got beat again 1-0 at Parkhead and also papped out of Europe. Lets not forget the run of woeful performances were we absolutely scraped victories and there is that many I wont name them so you can go and look at our fixtures last season. Lets not forget the 3-2 home defeat against Dundee United which would have lost us the league if Celtic had bottle. The last couple of games during the season we played well and so did Edu but over the course of the season he was woeful.

And that paragraph is not wrong.

Edu was a main player in our worst form last season after Jig got injured and only really shone in the last couple of games and against Valencia so I certainly dont agree with that.

08/09, Edu and Jig were injured for most of the season and Edu only really played towards the end of the season so its hard to say he was better that season considering they played about 10 times each. 09/10 Jig had a really good season so thats a no brainer. 10/11 Edu was shocking for 3/4 of the season...

Both were average as hell so it wasnt really night and day.

I wouldn't play him there, he's struggles to play his "natural" position of centre midfield!

Having said that, if he wasn't sythed down by Darren Dods a few seasons ago and wasn't out for about half a year I reckon he'd be the same player he was before the injury. It's almost as if he's declined because of that injury.

McCulloch played 90 minutes in that 1-0 defeat at Tynecastle, he got injured in the 1-0 home win against Hearts. Forgot about the 3-2 defeat against Dundee United, saying that we threw that match away and a horrible error from Davis cost us 2 points.

The 1-0 game we were unlucky considering we got a wrongful red card early on. Have no idea why you are trying to make this claim that we missed Jig in those Old Firm games or Europe, he is not a key player. Those matches were not 4-4-2 with Edu and Davis, the cup final we went 4-4-2 and look how differently that turned out. Jig certainly changed the outcome in the 2-0 defeat at New Year, eh?

The tactics were to blame in those games against Celtic and in Europe, the cup final, second half display against PSV, 3-1 win at Parkhead proved when Walter was not negative in the big games we performed much better. There was no Edu/Davis partnership in any of those games bar the cup final or in our poorest spell because we played 3-5-2 and I mentioned the other games with the personal. How hard is that to understand?

I know he did, I never said he didnt.

I never made any claim like that, I was telling you games after he got injured and how it was our worst spell.

We played with a 4 man midfield almost all the time, it was either 5-4-1 or 4-4-2 so claiming we played 3-5-2 in all of those games is ridiculous.

Youre inability to admit Edu was pish last season is incredible, our worst form came when Edu was one of the 2 central midfielders in that side.

Why dont you ask people on here how Edu did last season...especially in the games I mentioned.

After Jig got injured we had our worst spell of the season and coincedentally Davis and Edu were our 2 main midfielders at the time...heres a few results -

Lisbon 1-1

Lisbon 2-2

Celtic 2-2

Celtic 0-3(defeat)

Celtic 0-1(defeat)

PSV 0-0

PSV 0-1(defeat)

St Mirren 0-1

Kilmarnock 2-1

Dundee United 2-3(defeat)

St Johnstone 0-2

Hamilton 0-1

Aberdeen 0-1

St Mirren 2-1

Thats a big list of games which we were very poor in and this is were the Edu hate comes from as he was a fan favourite before his woeful performances.

I have no idea why you continue to argue here.