Let's Bring Back The Swifts.

Colonel Mustard

No really sure mate. I'd say the Reserves Leagues were done away wae aboot 10 years ago.

Thanks for that booler (tu) Whoever came up with that idea should be fucked with the rough end of a pineapple :mad:

What a stupid idea that was....Let's give our promising kids naewhere to play. doh:wanker:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reserve league has been disbanded for the last 3 seasons; smaller teams complained that they did not have the amount of players and could not afford the expense of running a reserve team. Since the tail wags the dog in scottish football what the failures and losers want will always go through.

I used to go to watch the reserves and was always impressed with the younger players and mostly annoyed by the lack of purpose and effort from established players playing to keep up or get back their fitness.

Latterly when Durrant was in charge I lost all respect for any coaching system which gave him a coaching badge, but that is another story.

There was always a decent regular crowd who went to reserve games; free admission for showing season tickets helped.

To be honest, I thought it was longer ago than that. I suppose the smaller teams did have a point, but one solution would be to add "Reserve" teams into the bottom tiers of the Scottish Leagues (as the OP has suggested) rather than just scrap it altogether? As you say, the big teams suffer due to a lack of ambition and success of the smaller teams.

Why should this be the case, especially when the SFA are now so concerned about the co-efficient being so bad? Maybe they need to have a good look at themselves regarding the co-efficient?

Thanks for that booler (tu) Whoever came up with that idea should be fucked with the rough end of a pineapple :mad:

What a stupid idea that was....Let's give our promising kids naewhere to play. doh:wanker:

They've already got naewhere tae play doon ma way. The football fields are more often than not full of houses now.

Reserve league has been disbanded for the last 3 seasons; smaller teams complained that they did not have the amount of players and could not afford the expense of running a reserve team. Since the tail wags the dog in scottish football what the failures and losers want will always go through.

I used to go to watch the reserves and was always impressed with the younger players and mostly annoyed by the lack of purpose and effort from established players playing to keep up or get back their fitness.

Latterly when Durrant was in charge I lost all respect for any coaching system which gave him a coaching badge, but that is another story.

There was always a decent regular crowd who went to reserve games; free admission for showing season tickets helped.

Used to get a right crowd usually a few thousand even bigger for the Old Firm reserve games, always remember the Durrant comeback match when we had around 30 thousand which I think was the biggest crowd in Britain that day!

To be honest, I thought it was longer ago than that. I suppose the smaller teams did have a point, but one solution would be to add "Reserve" teams into the bottom tiers of the Scottish Leagues (as the OP has suggested) rather than just scrap it altogether? As you say, the big teams suffer due to a lack of ambition and success of the smaller teams.

Why should this be the case, especially when the SFA are now so concerned about the co-efficient being so bad? Maybe they need to have a good look at themselves regarding the co-efficient?

Your right Booler the reserves were done away with in 1998 and replaced with the U 21 league which played their fixtures on a Tuesday afternoons and stopped playing at Ibrox.

Your right Booler the reserves were done away with in 1998 and replaced with the U 21 league which played their fixtures on a Tuesday afternoons and stopped playing at Ibrox.

It was changed after that and reverted to a reserve league; it was believed that the under 21 concept was flawed and that if a player had not got to first team level by that age he never would.

The reserve eague was disbanded at the end of 2008/2009 season; for some reason I thought it was done a couple of years before that.

SPL confirm move to scrap reserve league

The Clydesdale Bank Premier League have confirmed that moves are under way to dismantle their reserve league next season.

By Ewing Grahame

9:27PM GMT 05 Jan 2009

It's a development which will cost jobs, with Scotland's top clubs aiming to reduce the size of their squads as they attempt to cope with the debilitating effects of the recession.

The consequence of abandoning the reserve set-up, a staple of senior Scottish football for over half a century, will be that clubs in the elite division will release up to 100 players, continuing with a smaller first-team roster and a youth team.

Unsurprisingly, this initiative was born at boardroom level, although it also seems to have the support of a majority of managers. The abolition of the reserve league has still to be rubber-stamped but that is understood to be a formality.

"It's a little premature to say it'll be scrapped but it is under review," conceded Greig Mailer, the SPL's marketing and communications manager.

"That was one of the main reasons that the six managers were called to meet with our working group. They opened talks on the subject at their last meeting and it was a fascinating discussion. Now all 12 managers will be invited to the next get-together.

Bring them back I say

When I was playing in the reserves as I got older I played against real seasoned pro's like Neil berry ( hard as nails btw) chris mccart , Gordon petric etc

As a striker I really loved and learned playing against these guys

Nowadays kids at under 19 play against their own age and have nowhere to go

Is it a coincidence that our teams , club and country have got worse in the last decade since the reserves have went

rangers and celtc pushed for its abolition.

Bring them back I say

When I was playing in the reserves as I got older I played against real seasoned pro's like Neil berry ( hard as nails btw) chris mccart , Gordon petric etc

As a striker I really loved and learned playing against these guys

Nowadays kids at under 19 play against their own age and have nowhere to go

Is it a coincidence that our teams , club and country have got worse in the last decade since the reserves have went

must be a coincidence as its only been gone 3 years and if anything we have improved in that time frame.

Id be happy to bring it back.

Would boost crowds and hopefully get more people who cant afford to go and watch the 1st team,the chance to see football.

Am i right in saying in Spain,the Barca&Madrid B teams cannot be promoted to top division??

They still bring youth players through the system

our u19 cant cope at that level.

I think it could work as a good bridging process for the young guns. What's the point in having these players well into their early twenties unable to break into the first team? Testing the under 19s earlier would prepare them better for the higher levels later required.

I've been to two reserve games both against the tims at Ibrox. One had a crowd of 20,000 and the other had 36,000.

The 36 000 one, is that the 1 that 1 of their fans ran to the centre circle with a ROI flag and blessed himself. Mhanky bastard

Good idea doubt they would listen though.

Anybody remember the reserve games years ago against the manks. When we would get nearly 40 000 at ibrox and the manks filled the broomy. Great games btw

I was at that game - season ticket holders got in free.

I was at one in 1994 where there was 20,000. the Govan and the Copland all full with the tims in the West Enclosure.