4-5-1 Hope Not

scott_22

Sorry if repost a really just hope we dont go 4-5-1 against this shower a shit lets go with Jela and Lafferty up top and have a go at

these scummy horrible cretins, they are there for the taken. Get in there faces right from kick off, a really hope he doesn't go with Jig and Edu only time will tell? No Surrender :crabflute: WATP

Sorry if repost a really just hope we dont go 4-5-1 against this shower a shit lets go with Jela and Lafferty up top and have a go at

these scummy horrible cretins, they are there for the taken. Get in there faces right from kick off, a really hope he doesn't go with Jig and Edu only time will tell? No Surrender :crabflute: WATP

I've said all week, 4-5-1 with Jig in the team will cost us our position at the top of the SPL.

In order to go 4-4-2 against Celtic we need two central midfielders who can boss the midfield against them (they also might go with 3 in the middle)

I just don't see such a pairing so I think we will have to go with a 4-3-3/4-5-1 setup

I'd put Naismith and Lafferty either side of Jelavic and have a central midfield of Davis, McKay and Edu.

Wylde to start from the bench and McCulloch nowhere near the team

I hope Ally surprises us all by going for it 4-4-2 they are there for the taking, if Ally plays 4-5-1 then its walteresque with McCulloch and Edu in same team it will be along 90mins and it will show Ally will be happy with a draw hope i am wrong.

Ortiz, McCulloch and Edu should not play but everything i have seen so far suggests 2 of them will play.

4-4-2 with none of the three is the way to go though (tu)

5-4-1 and 4-5-1 flopped spectacularly in Europe.

4-5-1 at home in the SPL is an embarrassing tactic to use against any opposition.

Our best football in the SPL last season was 4-4-2 with a pacy mobile midfield and pace on the flanks.

Two strikers working together to dominate and bully their weakest part of the defence...the central pairing.

Full backs are no more than average and if it is Matthews and Kaddouri then both are making their Old Firm debuts so should be run at whenever possible.

A point that has been overlooked by many are the debutants on both sides and the influence that may have on the outcome.

Potentially we have Wallace,Bocanegra,Goian and McKay as the 4 most likely to play although i think it will be Papac at left back with Bocanegra and Goian in the middle. Potentially our weakest link as neither have played in an OF game.

They have Matthews,Wilson,Kaddouri potentially making their debuts so it could be 3 defenders each sampling the intimidating atmosphere of an Old Firm Game.

Could we be overlooking the midfield area for trouble when realistically it could well be at the back that this game is won or lost?

5-4-1 and 4-5-1 flopped spectacularly in Europe.

4-5-1 at home in the SPL is an embarrassing tactic to use against any opposition.

Our best football in the SPL last season was 4-4-2 with a pacy mobile midfield and pace on the flanks.

Two strikers working together to dominate and bully their weakest part of the defence...the central pairing.

Full backs are no more than average and if it is Matthews and Kaddouri then both are making their Old Firm debuts so should be run at whenever possible.

A point that has been overlooked by many are the debutants on both sides and the influence that may have on the outcome.

Potentially we have Wallace,Bocanegra,Goian and McKay as the 4 most likely to play although i think it will be Papac at left back with Bocanegra and Goian in the middle. Potentially our weakest link as neither have played in an OF game.

They have Matthews,Wilson,Kaddouri potentially making their debuts so it could be 3 defenders each sampling the intimidating atmosphere of an Old Firm Game.

Could we be overlooking the midfield area for trouble when realistically it could well be at the back that this game is won or lost?

you need to win the midfield battle to get at their back 4. something we failed to do last season on the whole.

We will need numbers in the middle of the park, as they will have numbers in there, but that doesn't have to be negative depending on how you line up.

I would play a fluid 4-5-1 which becomes a 3-4-3 when we attack.

Defending:

McGregor

Whittaker Goian Bocanegra Wallace

Naismith Davis Edu McKay Lafferty

Jelavic

Attacking:

McGregor

Whittaker Goian Bocanegra

Davis Edu McKay Wallace

Naismith Jelavic Lafferty

you need to win the midfield battle to get at their back 4. something we failed to do last season on the whole.

So bypassing the midfield with long balls and free kicks doesn't count?

Playing balls in behind the full backs and not keeping the line together?

They may well play through the middle but then again they may not and might just throw in a few testers early doors because of Bocanegra's lack of height.

At first I agreed with your earlier post about having to win the midfield battle - however, our greatest success against them last year was either playing long high balls for Jelavic to knock down/flick on or long diagonal balls behind their defence for Naisy to latch on to.

Bypass their midfield altogether - go for the long ball approach - their defence is crap. (tu)

I don't think we'll see anything other than 4-5-1 tomorrow. It will be interesting to see the starting 11.

I'd imagine it will be along the lines of....

McGregor

Whittaker Goian Bocanegra Wallace

Davis Edu Naismith McCulloch McKay

Jelavic

I'm not fussed if he goes 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3 or 4-6-0 (copyright Mr C Levein). I'm not caring if it's the most turgid game of football I ever see in my life. And I couldn't pass comment on the likes of whether McKay should play or not cos I've only got his substitutes appearance at Tannadice to go on to form an opinion of him as a player.

All I care about is scoring 1 more goal than them. That's ALL that matters.

The midfield for me, has to be

Juanma/McKay Davis Naismith Wylde

A lot of you are going to think that is bold, but we don't need a defensive midfield with four players as hardworking as we have there. We don't want the filth to have the ball, apart from desperately clearing from their own box. That for me, is the midfield to outplay them.

At first I agreed with your earlier post about having to win the midfield battle - however, our greatest success against them last year was either playing long high balls for Jelavic to knock down/flick on or long diagonal balls behind their defence for Naisy to latch on to.

Bypass their midfield altogether - go for the long ball approach - their defence is crap. (tu)

their defence is crappy on the ground. humping high balls to it will be playing right into their hands. again a mistake we made last year.

Why when we are the Champions and playing at home should we adapt for those scum?

442 and put them to the sword.

The very same point i keep making.

We have all the attributes and talent required to take the game to them on our own patch. If we don't and play 4-5-1 with McCulloch and Edu and get beat then i honestly think McCoist should be shown the door and i don't care how harsh that sounds or how much of a legend he is.

Those tactics backfired in Europe and they backfired last season.

You watch Atletico Madrid expose their lack of pace in defence especially through the middle and watch how their midfield copes when up against a free flowing and fast moving midfield as opposed to the static pish they play against in the SPL.

Have mentioned on a few posts, that we should go at them and not allow them 75% of the park, but force them back and have runners coming from deep to by-pass their cumbersome defence.

It is there for the tacking all we have to do , is get formation akin to the run in and go get them.

Agree if Ally plays it tight, well questions do have to be asked and answered.

Have mentioned on a few posts, that we should go at them and not allow them 75% of the park, but force them back and have runners coming from deep to by-pass their cumbersome defence.

It is there for the tacking all we have to do , is get formation akin to the run in and go get them.

Agree if Ally plays it tight, well questions do have to be asked and answered.

It's not rocket science. In all likelihood they will come to play football and pass us off the park in midfield. Which they will do if we play Edu and McCulloch in the centre. If however we play a more offensive and mobile midfield then inevitably it forces them to concentrate more on their defensive duties which we all know is not the strongest part of their game.

Naismith and Davis can run all day and do their fair share of backtracking when necessary. Throw in McKay or Wylde and they will do the same and with Wylde you have an outball in behind the full back for him to use his pace against.

Sit back and they will dictate the game. Take it to them and they won't.

It's not rocket science. In all likelihood they will come to play football and pass us off the park in midfield. Which they will do if we play Edu and McCulloch in the centre. If however we play a more offensive and mobile midfield then inevitably it forces them to concentrate more on their defensive duties which we all know is not the strongest part of their game.

Naismith and Davis can run all day and do their fair share of backtracking when necessary. Throw in McKay or Wylde and they will do the same and with Wylde you have an outball in behind the full back for him to use his pace against.

Sit back and they will dictate the game. Take it to them and they won't.

Agree , have been slaughtered elsewhere for putting over that point of view. When Walter was manager. Look back at the games they have lost, and get rid of the misconception they lost because they were pish. They lost because teams attacked them , no great mystical reasons , but plain and simple attacking football , ball played quickly from back to midfield to the front and the key being the midfield, not then standing still but moving forward to make runs into the box.

Yes and re Wylde for all people say he is a one trick pony, he can stretch them with those runs.