Post Your Obscure Facts About Rangers Or Ibrox.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We used to play in blue and white hoops but im sure most people will know that.

During the War we had Sir Stanley Matthews play a certain amount of games for us ( I think it was three but cant find the book it came from though.)

We had a South African play with us in the fifties who had a record of 50 penaties taken 49 scored.

All taken from the book The Definative History of The Rangers that i was given by my granddad.

Edit: the book was called Playing for Rangers.

Think that was Johnny Hubbard you are referring to. Ive met him loads of times and have sat beside him at a number of games.

Think his penalty count was more than that though. Im sure it was something like 62 scored from 64.

He tells some right good stories about Old Firm games and he is proud of his record of being the last Ger to score a league hat-trick in an OF game as well as being the first foreigner to score Away in a european game for us. (tu)

Think that was Johnny Hubbard you are referring to. Ive met him loads of times and have sat beside him at a number of games.

Think his penalty count was more than that though. Im sure it was something like 62 scored from 64.

He tells some right good stories about Old Firm games and he is proud of his record of being the last Ger to score a league hat-trick in an OF game as well as being the first foreigner to score Away in a european game for us. (tu)

Thats him thanks very much both granddads worshipped him as a player.

I think the book was only premier league penalties that the book counted so you could be right with the overall total.

I think the only one he missed was the last one he took against Killie if my granddads memory is correct.

It was 65 from 68, with the other three saved.

(tu) Couldnt remember the exact number but on your last point he does always mention that he never missed the target once in his whole career. :lol:

Great wee guy, though the games were getting too much for him last season i felt. :disappointment:

i'm quite sure it was Moscow Dynamo that had 12 players on the field.

Could you explain how we played at Anfield before Liverpool, that is interesting.

Its prob sumthing to do with the fact that everton originally played at anfield , must have played them there , might be wrong though

From 1887-1899 Rangers played at the FIRST Ibrox Park, adjacent to the present stadium, with its eastern boundary on Copland Road...which as many will know, is approx 70-yards east of the present stadium.

Then they repositioned the whole stadium so that the mouth of the tunnel was exactly 16,000 feet due East, from the doorstep of my Mother Lodge in Steventon Street.

The line also cuts through the East of the Orange Hall in Lorne Street, and also Glasgow Green where we used to play.

Mysterious stuff that puts the Da Vinci Code in the shade.

This was all hidden before Google Earth was available. :rolleyes:

:sherlock:

Could you explain how we played at Anfield before Liverpool, that is interesting.

I'm tempted to say that you should get a copy of 'Rangers 1872: The Gallant Pioneers', and you should, imo all bears should read it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rangers-1872-Pioneers-Gary-Ralston/dp/1859837476

Rangers were drawn to play Everton in 1886/87 in the FA Cup, with the match to be played at Anfield.

Liverpool weren't formed till 1892.

There's a great deal more to the story, but you'll have to get the book to read it.

Then they repositioned the whole stadium so that the mouth of the tunnel was exactly 16,000 feet due East, from the doorstep of my Mother Lodge in Steventon Street.

The line also cuts through the East of the Orange Hall in Lorne Street, and also Glasgow Green where we used to play.

Mysterious stuff that puts the Da Vinci Code in the shade.

This was all hidden before Google Earth was available. :rolleyes:

:sherlock:

I reckon without the use of Google Earth that if you travel along the axis of your 16000 feet and stop at 8000 feet, then travel due North, you will arrive at a triangular point somewhere in the Western Necropolis which is said to be a significant Masonic symbol. :sherlock:

I reckon without the use of Google Earth that if you travel along the axis of your 16000 feet and stop at 8000 feet, then travel due North, you will arrive at a triangular point somewhere in the Western Necropolis which is said to be a significant Masonic symbol. :sherlock:

It's all an institutional conspiracy IMO.

Questions should be asked by the RC church, the government, and other people who don't know anything about these kind of shenanigans.

Hmm..

Are you suggesting that it was done specifically to be that distance away?

Or that it was done and happened to be that distance away?

Post hoc ergo propter hoc etc

Hmm..

Are you suggesting that it was done specifically to be that distance away?

Or that it was done and happened to be that distance away?

Post hoc ergo propter hoc etc

Definitely.

The Masonic significance of the 16,000 feet, and the fact that the Masonic temple is due East, should not be lost...especially with the powerful Masonic symbols positioned just inside the main door of Ibrox.

I will say no more.

I was living on copland road for 25+years. Im only 31. How interesting is that about ibrox? Beat that rangers historian

I also once bricked a tarrier parade on copland road. I could go on but i dont want you all thinking im a fountain of pish, sorry, knowledge