Tax case resumes today apparently

markybear

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has there or is there any proof of us giving the so called players the written contracts of the EBT's

How can they prove it if there isn't actually one right in front of their eyes

Surely a rangers player wouldnt give it into the hands of HMRC even if they did have one

You still haven't enlarged on which type of behaviour, that will be because along with the rest of us you don't really know.

The following appeared on the STV written report purposely to make it appear as if it was directed at Rangers, "There is little HMRC can do for a business whose viability is dependent on not paying the UK taxes to which they are liable.” the fact of that quote is very different and will be found here.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=%22there%20is%20little%20hmrc%20can%20do%20for%20a%20business%20whose%20viability%20is%20dependent%20on%20not%20paying%20the%20uk%20taxes%20to%20which%20they%20are%20liable.%E2%80%9D&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.accountingweb.co.uk%2Farticle%2Fconcerns-raised-over-future-time-pay%2F517619&ei=ajq4ToHqOMS_8wPL75jvCQ&usg=AFQjCNG-n1dLQZ6KYd3Edi_UcwrkYWfAlQ

Excellent work mate. That's quite bad that they use quotes not specifically related to us as being somehow linked.

Also, does anyone know which tax office is handling this case or even if it is handled in such a way? If it was Cumberbauld, I'd see it as something of a positive, given the local politics.

Non of the Earls are ,will he be so smug if we apply to go South?No didnt think so .He is nothing, and has a hatred for all things Rangers .I think he is on borrowed time .When better times come back to Ibrox Financially, he wont be welcome I am sure of that.

An old saying. Apples will grow again.

Just heard from a source connected with the tribunal.

Says its going really well for us, and it looks good for us getting let off.

He also says Whyte was in court wearing a "Nae dough, 4 in a row" t-shirt, and Ali Russell smacked a priest in the face.

Looking good bears! WATP!

:sherlock:

He also says Whyte was in court wearing a "Nae dough, 4 in a row" t-shirt, and Ali Russell smacked a priest in the face.

Hilarious man .Quality.Have a (tu)

I believed you at the start :anguish:

How the tax dodgers get treated, the guilty ones well some of them.

By Rowena Mason, Political Correspondent8:46PM GMT 07 Nov 2011

MPs attacked HM Revenue and Customs for allowing Vodafone to pay just £1.25 billion to settle a tax dispute and claimed the amount lost to taxpayers lost may be even higher than previously thought.

They even took the extraordinary step of forcing Anthony Inglese, HMRC’s top lawyer, to swear on the Bible that he was telling the truth about a series of deals with major companies and banks.

One of the last times a committee of MPs asked for an oath to be sworn was the appearance of Neil Hamilton, the Tory MP, during their cash-for-questions investigation in 1997.

HMRC has always refused to reveal how much it believes Vodafone owed in total.

Dave Hartnett, permanent secretary for tax at HMRC, claimed earlier this year that reports saying Vodafone owed £6 billion were “absurd”.

However, Stephen Barclay, an MP on the public accounts committee, yesterday put the figure even higher than that.

“We are looking at potentially £8 billion of tax lost,” he said during a hearing. “We’re looking at a company that was given five years to pay even though it was sitting on a cash pile.”

Despite being HMRC’s most senior solicitor, Mr Inglese admitted he was “not what you’d call a tax lawyer” and said he could not comment on the deal.

“All I can say is lawyers were involved throughout,” he said.

The MPs suggested there need to be much greater oversight of tax deals with big companies.

HMRC is also under fire for letting Goldman Sachs, the giant US investment bank, off paying £10 million interest on a long disputed tax bill.

Mr Hartnett has previously admitted this was a mistake. He confirmed yesterday that lawyers were initially not consulted about whether Goldman Sachs was liable for the interest on a £30 million bill from a failed tax avoidance scheme on bankers’ bonuses.

Mr Hartnett says he was advised by an official that there was a “legal impediment” to charging interest, which later turned out not to be the case.

He is under severe pressure over the deals, but yesterday insisted that he had no intention of resigning. Mr Hartnett told the MPs that an official was not paid his bonus because of the blunder.

Margaret Hodge, chairman of the public accounts committee, remained unsatisfied with the situation. She said it “sticks in the gullet” that Goldman Sachs got a deal not available to ordinary people struggling with their tax bills.

“It feels so, so wrong,” she said. “The perception is there has been huge reputational damage to HMRC. If I was sitting at Goldman Sachs, I would be rubbing my hands because they'd think we beat 'em to it and got off the tax bill.”

Companies that have struck “sweetheart” deals with HMRC have been targeted by protestors. Some of Vodafone’s high street shops were blockaded by campaigners last year.

A spokesman for Vodafone said: “Vodafone has never received a tax liability of £6bn or £8 billion. HMRC themselves have called this an ‘urban myth’. Vodafone does not have an unpaid tax bill in the UK – the allegations are unfounded.”

A tax tribunal which could decide the immediate future of Rangers Football Club has resumed did people miss this line ?

I remember when it started and the word then was we were getting out of it. It was on the radio at the time that we looked like we would

not be paying anything. The reason I remember is CW bought us the next day !

I def think he knows already we will win.What a brass neck he`ll give everyone who`s been slating us.

can`t wait for the transfer window to open as I def think we will get a couple of players in.

just hope we keep a hold of JELAVIC .

Bit of a rumour that JELAVIC is off and Gary O`connor is coming in.

I`d prefer to keep JELAVIC and take O`connor ( who will be getting off with his court case as his mate is taking the blame)

O`connor would score goals for us no problem.

it would be good to have a choice between JELAVIC , laff , O`connor ( all can score goals )

like to see us get Templeton as well.