Why didn't the arabs buy United instead of City?

Thermopylae

Just thinking if money really is no object then why not buy one of the biggest names in the game ... unless the size of the glazer debt is too much even for them?

I suppose what it could be they know the fans of a medium sized club would be more beholden to them if they win the Champions League since it would be the first time. Also they may not have wanted to take on a club with such a pillar of the game in charge because he will be very hard to sack if/when the time comes.

I'm just imagining Sir Awex's face if Sheik Mansour had showed up and gave him unlimited funds ... the phrase making an old man very happy comes to mind :lol:

Just thinking if money really is no object then why not buy one of the biggest names in the game ... unless the size of the glazer debt is too much even for them?

I suppose what it could be they know the fans of a medium sized club would be more beholden to them if they win the Champions League since it would be the first time. Also they may not have wanted to take on a club with such a pillar of the game in charge because he will be very hard to sack if/when the time comes.

I'm just imagining Sir Awex's face if Sheik Mansour had showed up and gave him unlimited funds ... the phrase making an old man very happy comes to mind :lol:

i often wonder that mr thermo then i go to bed and dream they bought the gers oh deepjoy

Yeah pretty much what has been said above, to create their own legacy.

Taking a club without the history of the 'bigger' clubs and leading them to glory would create more of a legacy than doing it with a so called 'bigger' club.

The Glazers won't sell ManYoo as they have bought the club using loans,have saddled the club with THEIR debt and will wait for years for the club to pay off THEIR debt before selling up and sailing off into the sunset with a few hundred million.Can't beleive they are allowed to do that.

The Glazers won't sell ManYoo as they have bought the club using loans,have saddled the club with THEIR debt and will wait for years for the club to pay off THEIR debt before selling up and sailing off into the sunset with a few hundred million.Can't beleive they are allowed to do that.

i agree, but im sure they will have to maintain the same level, or attempt the same level of success for the debt to b brought down. thais means funds will b needed to strenghten the playing staff at some point. they cant get involved in a bidding war now. ferdinand, vidic, berbatov, giggs, all now getting on, and what kind of funds required to replace of a similiar ilk?

however, to me, it is a great point made here.

i would ask it another way.

why have no rich billionaires bought teams like spurs, newcastle or everton or at least tried to?

Everton is the puzzling one that no-one has tried to buy, given they are an established EPL team, with an owner well known to be desperate to sell. The only reason is his instance on selling to the 'right' person, which is of course his opinion and not necessarily the actual correct person.

United werent for sale and I doubt fan power would have allowed it. They have been approached in similar fashions in the past. Anyone who has half a brain in a football club knows that something like this is only good in the short term. What happens in a few years time if/when these guys decide they have had enough of City? They will be fucked. United on the other hand are a club that wouldnt take such a big risk. They dont need to be so desperate for a bit of short term glory.

I know its terrible a couple of business men buying a big business to make themselves money. Its hard to work out. :Broadfoot:

im sure i read a few weeks ago that Man Utd were seeking approval to float part of the club on the Hong Kong stock exchange to raise funds to pay off part of the debt

i think the article mentioned interest from one of the Arab royal familys in buying them