Cutting your managerial teeth at smaller clubs.

pcbear

Tried and tested through time and memorial, not too many get the chance to get the big gig as their first appointment, Ally McCoist has and he was never going to pass it up, but if he had the reigns at a St Mirren or Killie type club (no disrespect intended) made a fist of that then maybe got the Hearts or Aberdeen job then continued his success, then would be the proper time for him to take the Ibrox post, i think you can get lucky with one club, but if you do it with two or three then youve definatley got something, Paul Lambert at Wycombe, Colchester now Norwich is the perfect example of how a young manager should do his apprenticeship so to speak.

McCoist was an absolute legend as a player but i cant help thinking its too much too soon, who he is will cut him a little slack, but not a lot.

I would love to be 100% wrong in my assumptions, but i think its all going to end in tears.

The seeds of this were sown when Smith/McCoist came back, from day one the idea was that he would take over the reigns after a few seasons, whether or not the fans wanted this to happen we were in such dire straits at the time that we were just delighted to see Smith and McCoist back at the club and most of us probably didn't really think about the future. From then on, McCoist was not going to come in as assistant, leave when Smith did and get a smaller managerial job and then return one day to manage the club.

What would have happened if whoever we went on to appoint after Smith was to be incredibly successful, is Ally supposed to just take a succession of managerial jobs essentially kicking his heels until a manager is sacked/leaves and then he steps in. I can understand the appeal and the idea, but I think that to say that if McCoist becomes a successful manager elsewhere then the Rangers job is here for him is probably unworkable.

Tried and tested through time and memorial, not too many get the chance to get the big gig as their first appointment, Ally McCoist has and he was never going to pass it up, but if he had the reigns at a St Mirren or Killie type club (no disrespect intended) made a fist of that then maybe got the Hearts or Aberdeen job then continued his success, then would be the proper time for him to take the Ibrox post, i think you can get lucky with one club, but if you do it with two or three then youve definatley got something, Paul Lambert at Wycombe, Colchester now Norwich is the perfect example of how a young manager should do his apprenticeship so to speak.

McCoist was an absolute legend as a player but i cant help thinking its too much too soon, who he is will cut him a little slack, but not a lot.

I would love to be 100% wrong in my assumptions, but i think its all going to end in tears.

Another poster a few days ago that Ally had followed a career path far away from the norm. After the longest apprenticeship in the history of apprenticeships, there should have been little he didn't know about the workings within Ibrox and the strengths & weaknesses of most of the players.

Had the added advantage of a few months before stepping up to start to identify signing targets (we were told of the 2 lists), yet the window seemed to take him by surprise. He has had many opportunities & advantages that the run of the mill manager never sees &, as another thread said, he's got halfway through the season with a win rate of 55%.

We're only a couple of points behind, all is not yet lost, but something needs to change, & fast, or it will need to be changed for him.

Not what I want, but recent results & style of play aren't either.

The seeds of this were sown when Smith/McCoist came back, from day one the idea was that he would take over the reigns after a few seasons, whether or not the fans wanted this to happen we were in such dire straits at the time that we were just delighted to see Smith and McCoist back at the club and most of us probably didn't really think about the future. From then on, McCoist was not going to come in as assistant, leave when Smith did and get a smaller managerial job and then return one day to manage the club.

What would have happened if whoever we went on to appoint after Smith was to be incredibly successful, is Ally supposed to just take a succession of managerial jobs essentially kicking his heels until a manager is sacked/leaves and then he steps in. I can understand the appeal and the idea, but I think that to say that if McCoist becomes a successful manager elsewhere then the Rangers job is here for him is probably unworkable.

Not really, why does/did it have to be Ally? The Rangers job was there for any Rangers man who had "done it the right way", Billy Davies, Terry Butcher, Derek McInnes to name only 3, not that it has to be a Rangers man of course, they are just low budget, easy choices, although not as easy as appointing Walters asst.

Ally should not have beeen hanging around waiting on just this job in the same way he should not have been the only option for the club to turn to when Walter steadied our ship.

For me there was more evidence to suggest it would not work than thinking it would, which is why i didnt want him getting it, and i wasnt alone. One can only assume it was another job for the boy.

Yes McCoist did have a long apprenticeship, but under only one tradesman (Walter) if you only work with one man you will take all his ideals on board as being correct because you know no different,as any tradesman will tell you, you will learn more in the first year out of your apprenticeship away from the firm that employed you than you did during the previous 3/4 years, the simple reason being you have to stand on your own two feet.

Lambert as a manager has proved time and again he is his own man, maybe apprenticeship was a wrong term for me to use, Billy Davies is another example of being his own man Preston, Derby and Forest, Derek McIness is heading along the same path.

Not really, why does/did it have to be Ally? The Rangers job was there for any Rangers man who had "done it the right way", Billy Davies, Terry Butcher, Derek McInnes to name only 3, not that it has to be a Rangers man of course, they are just low budget, easy choices, although not as easy as appointing Walters asst.

Ally should not have beeen hanging around waiting on just this job in the same way he should not have been the only option for the club to turn to when Walter steadied our ship.

For me there was more evidence to suggest it would not work than thinking it would, which is why i didnt want him getting it, and i wasnt alone. One can only assume it was another job for the boy.

Not saying that it was right that Ally was hanging around waiting for Walter to leave, but the reality for the past 2-3 years is that this was what was going to happen. Instead we should have invited Ally to apply along with outside applications and weighed up his past service for the club, both as player and assistant, against other potential applicants, we went about it the wrong way, I just hope it doesn't cost us.

Not saying that it was right that Ally was hanging around waiting for Walter to leave, but the reality for the past 2-3 years is that this was what was going to happen. Instead we should have invited Ally to apply along with outside applications and weighed up his past service for the club, both as player and assistant, against other potential applicants, we went about it the wrong way, I just hope it doesn't cost us.

We certainly did but its absolutely no surprise when you see other huge mistakes that regime made throughout their tenure.

I still think there is nothing quite like taking the decisions yourself and living with the consequences and the consequences of the consequences.

I also have to say some people just don't have what it takes for management ... and that's management of anything not just a football team. Learning the ropes at someones right hand can be a good thing but it's totally different when everyone is looking to you and no one else

• 3 weeks later...

Its the way to go, do the biz elsewhere get he big ticket job.

It's certainly the best way to formulate your own ideas.

This situation has led to Ally just trying to be Walter Smith - he even started off sitting in the Director's Box for the first half of games - and it simply hasn't worked at all.

• 3 weeks later...