Why the Bee in the Bonnet about players in more than one position?

Why is there such a reluctance for some to accept players being played in more than one position?

Some of our greatest players excelled in positions other than the one they started in, and many could play more than one equally well.

What if we hadn't tried Jimmy Millar at centre forward, Davie Smith at sweeper, or Sandy Jardine at right back?

What if Derek Parlane couldn't have filled in for our captain in midfield against Bayern Munich in 1972?

What if DJ wasn't allowed to play centre half against Moscow Dynamo?

Corky moved to right back, The Ledge moved to left back, and Baxter could play left half or inside left...and could probably have played elsewhere if he'd had another foot. ;)

Sometimes it's not ideal to play a player "out of position", but sometimes needs must, and sometimes you end up accidentally (or by design) hitting the jackpot by doing it.

Why is there such a reluctance for some to accept players being played in more than one position?

Some of our greatest players excelled in positions other than the one they started in, and many could play more than one equally well.

What if we hadn't tried Jimmy Millar at centre forward, Davie Smith at sweeper, or Sandy Jardine at right back?

What if Derek Parlane couldn't have filled in for our captain in midfield against Bayern Munich in 1972?

What if DJ wasn't allowed to play centre half against Moscow Dynamo?

Corky moved to right back, The Ledge moved to left back, and Baxter could play left half or inside left...and could probably have played elsewhere if he'd had another foot. ;)

Sometimes it's not ideal to play a player "out of position", but sometimes needs must, and sometimes you end up accidentally (or by design) hitting the jackpot by doing it.

For those of us with shorter memories, Lovenkrands during his last few months here. (tu)

Albertz, Reyna and Gio all did sterling jobs at full back when needed. Not to forget Tugays stunning sweeper cameo in Monaco. Think our very own Ally started out as a midfielder with St Johnstone, think how different history could be if someone never gave him a wee shot up front.

Your examples are not just your average Rangers player are they?

The players today couldn't hold a candle to those mentioned and with a lesser talent it stands to reason they are better suited to their most comfortable position

Maybe not your average Rangers players, but Jardine for example didn't exactly set the heather on fire, before becoming world class at right back (although 10 goals in 11 games at centre forward wasn't too shabby).

The main point is that good players can adapt to more than one position, and "lesser" players can sometimes just find that correct psoition for them with a bit of experimentation.

My list isn't extensive, but just some good examples. There are plenty more.

the center half at full back one makes me laugh.

doesn't seem to do man utd any harm.

true, they have been excellent defensively rece................................ oh

as for players out of position, when its required i have no issue, but when you have players on the bench or in the stand earning a wage and you play someone else out of position, and lets be clear its not like a centre half moving to the right or left, sometimes we play guys way out of position (papac at centre mid looked like a wee lost boy), then its a complete waste of time

true, they have been excellent defensively rece................................ oh

as for players out of position, when its required i have no issue, but when you have players on the bench or in the stand earning a wage and you play someone else out of position, and lets be clear its not like a centre half moving to the right or left, sometimes we play guys way out of position (papac at centre mid looked like a wee lost boy), then its a complete waste of time

fergusons been doing it for decades.

if you want to call him out for his tactics go for it.

Walter one three titles in a row with the same people bleating that playing players "out of position" doesn't work

They were wrong then and are wrong now

Some of his selections in Europe first time around were out of this world. He played players in some strange positions.

It's not the "out of position" thing as a whole that bothers me.

Its more the shoehorning players into unnatural positions when we already have players sitting on the bench.

For example playing Papac and Bartley CM. I have no issues with defenders moving along the back line and filling in at full back etc but I don't like them going into midfield when we have midfielders sitting on the bench.

What's more annoying is spending the best part of a million quid bringing Bedoya and McKay to the club, then playing a left back before them in centre mid....

Maybe we should be asking what the problem is with these players, that they aren't being played?

McCoist keeps getting it in the neck for not playing them, but he's got good performances out of his other signings, and has no problem playing Goian, Bocanegra, Wallace, Aluko etc.. Is there some kind of attitude issue with these two that stops Ally from playing them?

I don't have a clue about it, but everyone seems to prefer knocking the manager on the subject, while the players themselves aren't having questions asked of what's wrong with them.

Maybe we should be asking what the problem is with these players, that they aren't being played?

McCoist keeps getting it in the neck for not playing them, but he's got good performances out of his other signings, and has no problem playing Goian, Bocanegra, Wallace, Aluko etc.. Is there some kind of attitude issue with these two that stops Ally from playing them?

I don't have a clue about it, but everyone seems to prefer knocking the manager on the subject, while the players themselves aren't having questions asked of what's wrong with them.

If Ally really doesn't trust them already then he made an incredibly poor error in signing them, it was only in the summer after all.

Managers need to sign players they're sure they'll have no problem playing.

Their ability.

A player who's best attribute is finishing will be a natural striker, for example.

As I said earlier, Sandy Jardine got a run of 11 games at centre forward and scored 10 goals. Was he such a natural striker that he couldn't play elsewhere?

We should thank God that the manager didn't think so at the time.

I'll refrain from mentioning again one of our best finishers ever, playing at centre half.