The day Souness was revealed as manager

Turnberry18

was 14-15 at the time and we had been in the shadow of gary glitters mob and the new firm of utd and aberdeen and even to a point hearts, was an exciting time with speculation of who he was going to bring in etc, these forums would have melted down if they were around at that time

was 14-15 at the time and we had been in the shadow of gary glitters mob and the new firm of utd and aberdeen and even to a point hearts, was an exciting time with speculation of who he was going to bring in etc, these forums would have melted down if they were around at that time

That is something I lament; that there was not internet at the time! That would have been brilliant. I think I was watching Scotland Today, and I'm sure it might have been Jim White announcing it. The speculation was also interesting: I am sure Rangers underplayed the whole thing and then brought people in, like Woods and Butcher, that exceeded the expectations of even the most optimistic of fans. A great time that was.

That is something I lament; that there was not internet at the time! That would have been brilliant. I think I was watching Scotland Today, and I'm sure it might have been Jim White announcing it. The speculation was also interesting: I am sure Rangers underplayed the whole thing and then brought people in, like Woods and Butcher, that exceeded the expectations of even the most optimistic of fans. A great time that was.

it was such a massive move, an exsisting national player who only 2 years earlier if memory serves me correct had lifted the european cup and was respected around europe, souness had an aura that arrived at the right time to awaken the monster that was the Glasgow Rangers

Here's something you don't hear nowadays...I read it in the paper.

No internet, or mobile phones for texts, so I got the Evening Times on the way home from work, and there on the front page was the news.

I was so shocked that I didn't know what the hell to think, and just remember a definite stirring in my loins.

I was crammed in a works van " mixed company " and we heard it on the tranny.

I just remember smiling and exclaming something along the lines of " ya fuckin' beauty "

We were struggling at the time and I was a big fan of Souness.

I think I was more excited about the thought of Souness the player rather than Souness the manager.

Great Times :D

I was crammed in a works van " mixed company " and we heard it on the tranny.

I just remember smiling and exclaming something along the lines of " ya fuckin' beauty "

We were struggling at the time and I was a big fan of Souness.

I think I was more excited about the thought of Souness the player rather than Souness the manager.

Great Times :D

I envy you a wee bit there: would have liked to have heard it in 'mixed company'!

In my view, the most significant signing in Scottish football ever. Was at his first league game at Easter Road and you could taste the fever. Special, special times and never to be repeated. Even us getting Jose as Manager wouldn't come close to the invincibility we felt when he signed.

No internet, or mobile phones for texts, so I got the Evening Times on the way home from work, and there on the front page was the news.

I was so shocked that I didn't know what the hell to think, and just remember a definite stirring in my loins.

You brought something back to me: I think I must have heard it at 6 O'Clock that evening; which would be unthinkable now; that means I and probably many other fans had managed to go a whole day without even a clue he had been made player-manager. I like the way Rangers kept it under wraps and then, bang, made the announcement.

I envy you a wee bit there: would have liked to have heard it in 'mixed company'!

Round about lunchtime if memory serves correctly.

What a feeling, you just knew something was about to change in a big way and he didnt disappoint.

Sure they threw money at him and with the English Euro ban it made signings easier but there was genuine quality in some of those signings.

Round about lunchtime if memory serves correctly.

What a feeling, you just knew something was about to change in a big way and he didnt disappoint.

Sure they threw money at him and with the English Euro ban it made signings easier but there was genuine quality in some of those signings.

I loved that 2-0 match at New Year, where he gave them a lesson in football. I wouldn't listen to it now, but I remember listening to Radio Clyde's phone in and all these bewildered fans of theirs wondering how they were going to stop Rangers. The joy!

This is related to another thread, and obviously just for older fans: but I would be interested in some fans stories when they heard we had got Graeme Souness as manager.

I was ecstatic as I knew he wouldn't be coming unless the club's ambitions matched his own and sometimes you just instinctively know something is right.

Once he started bringing in the likes of Woods, Butcher, Stevens and, erm, Falco, the excitement increased.

I've never felt that same surge of excitement with any appointment since.

I was ecstatic as I knew he wouldn't be coming unless the club's ambitions matched his own and sometimes you just instinctively know something is right.

Once he started bringing in the likes of Woods, Butcher, Stevens and, erm, Falco, the excitement increased.

You're right; there was amazing anticipation that something was going on.

Another story i read in the paper once that i always remember - picked up 'The Sunday People' (?) i'm sure that's what it was called. must have had a circulation of about 15 in Scotland. So i bought it and turn to the back page, and it says "Mo Johnstone to sign for Rangers'. "What a waste of 25p that was, no wonder no-one buys it" i said to myself, then threw it in the bin. Two weeks later, he signed for us.

still didnt buy that paper again though.

Dont forget Colin West.

That was COLIN WEST

Another story i read in the paper once that i always remember - picked up 'The Sunday People' (?) i'm sure that's what it was called. must have had a circulation of about 15 in Scotland. So i bought it and turn to the back page, and it says "Mo Johnstone to sign for Rangers'. "What a waste of 25p that was, no wonder no-one buys it" i said to myself, then threw it in the bin. Two weeks later, he signed for us.

still didnt buy that paper again though.

the sunday people,what happend to the daily sport that day!