Well Done Mr Salmond !

Guardian

Never thought I'd say that.

He's not as much of an oaf as I thought. He's come out in public supporting Rangers and has the tims frothing in rage.

He might just gain a few votes if he keeps that up.

He's put them on the back foot and forced them into spewing out statements in public and on tweeter. Even bitter Lemmon had to try and mix it. What a nasty bigoted small man he is.

Celtic have officially voiced anger after First Minister Alex Salmond suggested the survival of Rangers is crucial for Celtic and the rest of Scottish football to prosper.

Mr Salmond told Sir David Frost, in an interview to be broadcast on Frost over the World on Al Jazeera English: "Obviously HMRC have got to pursue, in the public interest, taxation.

"Equally, they've got to have cognisance of the fact that we're talking about a huge institution, part of the fabric of the Scottish nation, as well as Scottish football, and everybody realises that.

"The most die-hard Celtic supporter understands that Celtic can't prosper unless Rangers are there.

"The rest of the clubs understand that as well. Therefore you have to have cognisance of these things when you're pursuing public policy.

"We've certainly been arguing to HMRC on one hand, and indeed to Rangers, to for goodness sake get a settlement, get a settlement and a structure over time whereby Rangers can continue because Rangers must continue for the future of Scottish football and for the fabric of the country."

In response, Celtic released a statement which read: "We are very disappointed with the First Minister's claims that Celtic 'need' Rangers and that Celtic can't prosper unless Rangers are there'".

"This is simply not true. In a series of interviews given just three days ago, we made it abundantly clear that Celtic has a well-defined strategy and a business plan independent of the fortunes of any other club. That remains absolutely the case.

"The predicament of Rangers is clearly a serious and complex matter with a whole range of possible outcomes. However, we are extremely well-qualified to make our own position clear and have no wish to see this being misrepresented for political reasons ."

Celtic manager Neil Lennon backed up his club's stance on his Twitter account, saying: "Important statement from the club today with regard to Mr Salmon's quotes . Once again we have made our position clear."

Earlier, Lennon indicated that he was less than impressed with the words coming out of today's press conference by the Rangers administrators, writing on Twitter: "Well that was clear as mud. Every question body swerved."

Later, Mr Salmond issued his own statement, saying: “It's just a misunderstanding. I wasn't trying to imply that Celtic's finances were in any way under question. That was not the point I was trying to make.

“The point I was trying to make is that I think everyone in Scottish football, regardless of club, wants to see Rangers continue in football.

“I'm not an Old Firm supporter but if you look for a fixture at its best it's one of the great epic encounters in football and it would be sad if it didn't continue.

“I did not mean in any sense or way to imply that the finances of Celtic Football Club are in anything other than on a very sound basis.”

Speaking about Rangers during his visit to Scotland, Prime Minister David Cameron said: "I want that club to survive and to thrive.

"It has an extraordinary history. It has a very special place in many people's hearts in Scotland and no-one wants to see that club disappear.

"So I hope that HMRC will work as closely as they can with the administrators to try to solve the problems, to try to resolve the issues."

Never thought I'd say that.

He's not as much of an oaf as I thought. He's come out in public supporting Rangers and has the tims frothing in rage.

He might just gain a few votes if he keeps that up.

He's put them on the back foot and forced them into spewing out statements in public and on tweeter. Even bitter Lemmon had to try and mix it. What a nasty bigoted small man he is.

Celtic have officially voiced anger after First Minister Alex Salmond suggested the survival of Rangers is crucial for Celtic and the rest of Scottish football to prosper.

Mr Salmond told Sir David Frost, in an interview to be broadcast on Frost over the World on Al Jazeera English: "Obviously HMRC have got to pursue, in the public interest, taxation.

"Equally, they've got to have cognisance of the fact that we're talking about a huge institution, part of the fabric of the Scottish nation, as well as Scottish football, and everybody realises that.

"The most die-hard Celtic supporter understands that Celtic can't prosper unless Rangers are there.

"The rest of the clubs understand that as well. Therefore you have to have cognisance of these things when you're pursuing public policy.

"We've certainly been arguing to HMRC on one hand, and indeed to Rangers, to for goodness sake get a settlement, get a settlement and a structure over time whereby Rangers can continue because Rangers must continue for the future of Scottish football and for the fabric of the country."

In response, Celtic released a statement which read: "We are very disappointed with the First Minister's claims that Celtic 'need' Rangers and that Celtic can't prosper unless Rangers are there'".

"This is simply not true. In a series of interviews given just three days ago, we made it abundantly clear that Celtic has a well-defined strategy and a business plan independent of the fortunes of any other club. That remains absolutely the case.

"The predicament of Rangers is clearly a serious and complex matter with a whole range of possible outcomes. However, we are extremely well-qualified to make our own position clear and have no wish to see this being misrepresented for political reasons ."

Celtic manager Neil Lennon backed up his club's stance on his Twitter account, saying: "Important statement from the club today with regard to Mr Salmon's quotes . Once again we have made our position clear."

Earlier, Lennon indicated that he was less than impressed with the words coming out of today's press conference by the Rangers administrators, writing on Twitter: "Well that was clear as mud. Every question body swerved."

Later, Mr Salmond issued his own statement, saying: “It's just a misunderstanding. I wasn't trying to imply that Celtic's finances were in any way under question. That was not the point I was trying to make.

“The point I was trying to make is that I think everyone in Scottish football, regardless of club, wants to see Rangers continue in football.

“I'm not an Old Firm supporter but if you look for a fixture at its best it's one of the great epic encounters in football and it would be sad if it didn't continue.

“I did not mean in any sense or way to imply that the finances of Celtic Football Club are in anything other than on a very sound basis.”

Speaking about Rangers during his visit to Scotland, Prime Minister David Cameron said: "I want that club to survive and to thrive.

"It has an extraordinary history. It has a very special place in many people's hearts in Scotland and no-one wants to see that club disappear.

"So I hope that HMRC will work as closely as they can with the administrators to try to solve the problems, to try to resolve the issues."

Aye, that's his goal mate. (tu)

If it were on the other foot Rangers would be officially wishing ANY club good wishes even though most of us would be thinking otherwise

Its all about class and dignity and there are only one set of supporters and one club showing themselves to the world what a shower of bitter cunts they really are

I used to think a typical taig was a sly wee bastard, now they just show it to the world

Get it up them

Oh I know he's a politician and only looking for votes, but as long as he's useful to us and kicking them, he's going in the right direction.

Liewell's only saying that as he knows it won't be tested as Rangers will not go into liquidation.

He knows fine well he would have to vote Rangers into the SPL if we did. He's no daft when it comes to money and knows they can't go anywhere without us.

They might be able to survive, but it that would be about it. The fans would drift away.

Oh I know he's a politician and only looking for votes, but as long as he's useful to us and kicking them, he's going in the right direction.

Liewell's only saying that as he knows it won't be tested as Rangers will not go into liquidation.

He knows fine well he would have to vote Rangers into the SPL if we did. He's no daft when it comes to money and knows they can't go anywhere without us.

They might be able to survive, but it that would be about it. The fans would drift away.

I'm not sure I agree with you. Liewell is such a populist and the current Celtic agenda seems to be so influenced by the less hinged of their support that I wouldn't take it for granted he'd vote us in. He's bitter enough to believe what he says and a vocal section of their support would never forgive him if he did vote for us.

You'd think Lennon might have better things to do than watch and publicly comment on our press conference.

He can still stick his independence up his arse tho.

I think Salmond knows he won't get many Bears into the Independence camp, but he may just have gained a few in the "Devo Max" camp. The man is a lot of things, but stupid he ain't...