Paul Scholes v David Silva

Columbo

Just sitting in my University library avoiding work and having an argument with my City fan loving friend who is the better player between Paul Scholes & David Silva.

Obviously both are supremely talented footballers and for the purpose of the test presume its Scholes at his prime against a modern day Silva.

I'd argue Scholes is better, he scores more, controls the game, better long range of passing even his running off the ball and positioning is underrated he's just let down by his tackling :lol:

What do you guys think though. Silva or Scholes? (tu)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the days of comparing two players might be gone. There's an argument to say that both are as important to their teams as the other. Silva is a more interactive player, he'll start a move, stay involved in a move and try and finish the move, whereas Scholes just doesn't have the engine to compete on that level.

Where Scholes does compete, and indeed excel, is in his range of passing. He can ping 60 yard passes onto the feet of a teammate with ease and also play the simple 5 yard passes - cracking strike on him as well.

It used to be a case of, "They're midfielders, their jobs are the same", but they aren't anymore. There are too many different roles in Football, and there are the obvious strengths and weaknesses.

impossible comparison

silva is a player that gets the ball from the midfielders and opens up defences and sets up goals either for his teammates or scores them himself

scholes is the type of guy that done all the work in the midfield to give guys like ronaldo, giggs, etc the ball up front to open up the defences

FFS

Is this even a contest

Silva can't even get a regular game for Spain

Scholes every day of any wk

Scholes wouldn't get near the Spannish team either. And as for people saying he dictates games.. hardly. He doesn't run the show in midfield, but throughout his career he has played next to people who ran the show in midfield.

The OP was talking about a prime Scholes and that was 10 years ago, way before Xavi's time. A prime Scholes would of played for Spain!

I was meaning the current Spain team, as that was what the guy was saying; that Silva can't get into the current one.