Are these Wages to be Believed?

MCLACHLAN1

Read in recent days of £20k for McCulloch, £18k for Papac, £12-14 k for Alexander??? Are these to be believed?

If so no wonder we are in such a mess.

We played Team in Europe in the early part of the season that ran circles around these players before even mentioning Whittaker £20k a week.

The Club infrastructure needs changed so drastically as and when we come out of this

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wage structure at Rangers will change we have no option now, we can no longer afford to pay out the wages we do while playing in Scottish football. Rangers 1st team players should probably be on an average £7/8k per week at most, as the opening post mentions we are paying out far to much money to average players things can't continue the way they are.

Lee McCulloch is most definitely not on £20k p/w.

He most definately is i'm afraid.

Paying a player like Lee McCulloch £20k per week to basically win the SPL title is the single biggest reason why we are in administration.

That is not me saying it is his fault but when we pay players of his limited ability that amount of money then it's no wonder we are in the trouble we are in.

My view all along is that NO player at Ibrox should ever be on anything more than £10K per week. Their bonuses though should be structured in such a way that they increase their salary with a win. They get nothing for draws and defeats.

Several years ago the wages were discussed at an AGM. Murray (I know, I know, never to be believed) stated then that the figures quoted in the media for player wages were farcical. He was adamant that the details of employees were never provided to the press and basically blamed the agents for bigging up their clients.

Same could be said about transfer fees......the one that I have always wondered about was Alan Hutton - £8milion? Does anybody believe we ever received that for Hutton?

No surprise to me, Rangers have been "trying" to reduce the bill for some years now. If any good comes out of this, it will be a smaller wage bill. Gordon Smith was quoted as saying the wage bill should never be more than 50% of turnover.

With an apparent wage bill of £21M (and that's playing staff only I think) and a turnover of less than £40M is it worth it?

I think Hearts were third highest at $8M (which I am sure is now on the way down) - a £13M difference.

So think about it, we normally finish 25 points ahead of the third place team. So we are paying about half a million quid for each point we finish ahead of them. Worth it?

As for Europe, the wages don't justify the returns. Look at Maribor who put us out this year. They were turning over about £3-4M I think, a TENTH of what we do. Maybe if we collected £14M from the Champions League every year it would be tolerable but that won't be happening.

We could slash the wage bill by half or more but the resulting team would still give the current squad a run for their money IMO.

Shuggy

The wage structure at Rangers will change we have no option now, we can no longer afford to pay out the wages we do while playing in Scottish football. Rangers 1st team players should probably be on an average £7/8k per week at most, as the opening post mentions we are paying out far to much money to average players things can't continue the way they are.

if that is the case of first team players being on £7/8k a week at most for future then we can kiss the league good bye forever and will become a mid-tabled team struggling year in year out. l for one along with many other fans won't accept this ,now i'm not saying that they should continue to pay over inflated wages of 20-25k but if they want to challenge for the league we should be targeting players ate 23/24/25 with great potential for the future and great sell on value instead of over the hill players with no sell on value and cap they're salaries to £15-18k a week starting from the lower amount and give performance related raises each season to get best out of players and budget imo

It's safe to say we need a new wage structure

No player should be paid over £10k a wk now

Youth has to be the way forward

unfortunately we do not have enough talent at murraypark to solely rely on youth coming through there, we need to balance it with talented gems from other countries because every other big club does it and yes i know they have more money than us but still it can be done we just need to look hard enough

With all due respect to Alexander. He should be the first to go. 10-12k p/w? Solid pro etc. But no way can we afford him.

Pretty sure Jig took a cut ... Although he's a multi millionaire no doubt, nice gesture from him and saving his wages hopefully keeps others in jobs.

if that is the case of first team players being on £7/8k a week at most for future then we can kiss the league good bye forever and will become a mid-tabled team struggling year in year out. l for one along with many other fans won't accept this ,now i'm not saying that they should continue to pay over inflated wages of 20-25k but if they want to challenge for the league we should be targeting players ate 23/24/25 with great potential for the future and great sell on value instead of over the hill players with no sell on value and cap they're salaries to £15-18k a week starting from the lower amount and give performance related raises each season to get best out of players and budget imo

That's a gross exaggeration.

How many SPL based players, playing for mid table clubs like Kilmarnock, St Johnstone & St Mirren are making anything close to 7/8 k a week?

If every player in our squad earned as "little" as that we wouldn't be struggling in mid table.

How many SPL based players, playing for mid table clubs like Kilmarnock, St Johnstone & St Mirren are making anything close to 7/8 k a week?

If every player in our squad earned as "little" as that we wouldn't be struggling in mid table.

i hear what your saying but the fact is we won't win the league or compete for it by attracting player of that salary bracket maybe your willing to accept that but many like me don't want the scum tae have a strangle hold on the league because they can attrack better players than us

Exactly.

St Johnston said they could not compete with Rangers wage offer of £5k a week for Sandaza at the time…so that tell’s its own story. Is say Davis a far better midfielder than say Ness in terms of one being on around £15k more a week? I don’t think the gap reflects that sum of money being paid.

These numbers are bullshit. We had a wage structure in 2006/7 of £15-17k for good first-team members. £10-12k for the Charlie Adams who were breaking into the team and £7k or less for younger players, hence why Wylde and co delay on signing new contracts.

And that's why we didn't get Scott Brown because he wanted £30k, but we weren't willing to go over £20k.