Old Gers Pics

TheMotor

Scored many a crackng goal on the red blaize pitch across from the stadium and my old primary school. Can see the back of my pals house , he ended up playing for Rangers. Copied the photo cheers bud 00000042.gif

Here's a view from above from 1948.

ibroxaerial1.jpg

So the pavilion and the main stand were both demolished in 1928? Or was the old main stand incorporated in to the new one. The reason I ask is that there is quite a gap between Edminston Drive and the main stand implying that a new stand was built. Sorry for all the questions but I love all this historical stuff.

Here's a view from above from 1948.

ibroxaerial1.jpg

You can see the railway running between the White City and round behind thwe Albion and then behind what is the Govan Stand now. Also bottom right of the pic you can see spare ground that was to become the new Bellahouston Academy.

So the pavilion and the main stand were both demolished in 1928? Or was the old main stand incorporated in to the new one. The reason I ask is that there is quite a gap between Edminston Drive and the main stand implying that a new stand was built. Sorry for all the questions but I love all this historical stuff.

Both Pavilion and main stand came down and the new, now listed, stand went up. The poster Phil put on a great image from RangersPedia that is quoted further up the page, which shows a great view of the new one. You can see the difference in height, length and roof-line on that. There are loads of great images of the current ground over the years; just do a google search and select the "Black and White" option at the side to get some good old ones. (tu)

Finding images of the earlier grounds is a bitch though.

MacLellan St.used to walk up Edmiston every morning to school apart from the days I got a Trolley bus or tram and Billy Ritchie would be on it uk.gif

Take it you met a lot of the players back then, get any Rangers Legend autographs ED?

Both Pavilion and main stand came down and the new, now listed, stand went up. The poster Phil put on a great image from RangersPedia that is quoted further up the page, which shows a great view of the new one. You can see the difference in height, length and roof-line on that. There are loads of great images of the current ground over the years; just do a google search and select the "Black and White" option at the side to get some good old ones. (tu)

Finding images of the earlier grounds is a bitch though.

Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

Take it you met a lot of the players back then, get any Rangers Legend autographs ED?

They used to chase you at lunchtime near enough every day getting them Couple stick out mind , there was a player think it was a guy Christie was getting him to sign my book when he said, i'm sick of signing this, nearly in tears and stretching memory here might have been Alec Scott who told him you should be glad to sign the boys book.

Another time during school holidays we went over had a camera with me and Davy Kinnear who was first team trainer , stopped and git the players to stand and get their pics taken. Real gent that guy. And the time a number of them walking pass the school when the ball went over and baxter got it and booted it up in the air and the thing landed on the railings and burst. My Wembley as well white one 6/9d. Never gave us the money lol

They used to chase you at lunchtime near enough every day getting them Couple stick out mind , there was a player think it was a guy Christie was getting him to sign my book when he said, i'm sick of signing this, nearly in tears and stretching memory here might have been Alec Scott who told him you should be glad to sign the boys book.

Another time during school holidays we went over had a camera with me and Davy Kinnear who was first team trainer , stopped and git the players to stand and get their pics taken. Real gent that guy. And the time a number of them walking pass the school when the ball went over and baxter got it and booted it up in the air and the thing landed on the railings and burst. My Wembley as well white one 6/9d. Never gave us the money lol

To have your Wembley burst by Jim Baxter :drool:

6/9d well spent.

Thanks for that ED (tu)

What's a trolley bus Grandad? :D

It's just I knew a few lads who might be about your vintage, who stayed there.

As in.............

Take a Trolley....Take a tramcar....take a bus tae Georges Sq, where yell see a famous soldier sitting on his big braod mare........His name was William Prince of Orange and no fe**an can deny.

PM me their names when PM is on and see if I know/remember the names.

To have your Wembley burst by Jim Baxter :drool:

6/9d well spent.

Thanks for that ED (tu)

We went over to the front door and the old guy that was on the door at that time (he used to wear a brown overcoat chased us laugh.gif Years later I got a jersey of Baxter he used to live across the road from my senior schools playing fields on Haggs Rd and watched us and came and gave me a top. My son has it somewhere I think!!

As in.............

Take a Trolley....Take a tramcar....take a bus tae Georges Sq, where yell see a famous soldier sitting on his big braod mare........His name was William Prince of Orange and no fe**an can deny.

PM me their names when PM is on and see if I know/remember the names.

:D

I'll do that.

We went over to the front door and the old guy that was on the door at that time (he used to wear a brown overcoat chased us laugh.gif Years later I got a jersey of Baxter he used to live across the road from my senior schools playing fields on Haggs Rd and watched us and came and gave me a top. My son has it somewhere I think!!

Somewhere?

Should be in a frame and hanging on a wall ED.

I never got to see Slim Jim in his first stint at Ibrox but by all accounts, he was 'something to behold'.

I got to see him when he came back to Rangers, overweight but was still a class act.

Would loved to have met him.

Somewhere?

Should be in a frame and hanging on a wall ED.

I never got to see Slim Jim in his first stint at Ibrox but by all accounts, he was 'something to behold'.

I got to see him when he came back to Rangers, overweight but was still a class act.

Would loved to have met him.

He became a nuisance CB and as for his Mrs if she dropped one hint jees.when are you 16 son biggrin.gif Used to go into his pub well arthur thompsons at the toll. And used to bump into him in Oceans in Kelvinhaugh Street , used knick in there for lunch.

Re top son used to wear it to 5 a sides. I was lucky through the years with tops.