What are we to make of this 'Gang of 10' Meeting?

MCLACHLAN1

Make no mistake, these clubs are not meeting to discuss the future welfare of Rangers FC. There is no doubt in my mind that their motives are wholly mercenary! They will also be very wary of doing anything that annoys the Mhanks, and that includes the Celtic faithful at the SFA and SPL. I suspect this has more to do with money and increasing the number of teams in the SPL.

Make no mistake, these clubs are not meeting to discuss the future welfare of Rangers FC. There is no doubt in my mind that their motives are wholly mercenary! They will also be very wary of doing anything that annoys the Mhanks, and that includes the Celtic faithful at the SFA and SPL. I suspect this has more to do with money and increasing the number of teams in the SPL.

Increasing the number of teams in the SPL would lower the income of all 10 clubs, as there would be less home games to gain income from. 16 teams means 15 home games and only 1 visit from both us and septic, unless the ludicrous split was retained. I think the only way a bigger top league will be accepted is if there are play-offs to provide extra income, as in the English set-up.

Hahaha. TV money!? I doubt they'll get ANY next season if we're not in the league. The most I can see them getting offered is half of what they currently get. Put it this way, Sky and ESPN aren't seriously going to shell out full buttons if they're only getting half of the Old Firm?

If they do they're crazy and Stewart Regan must be giving Rupert Murdoch gumshie's behind the bike sheds!

The way I see this is the ten clubs are getting ready to grab a bigger slice of the pie.

We know that the spl requires an 11-1 vote to change anything.

They are getting ready in case we go into liquidation if that happens there will only be 11 spl club members and a 10-1 vote will swing any changes therefore they will vote themselves a bigger slice of all the sponsorship money and tv deals, at the minute the deals are all loaded in the favour of us and the beggers the ten will be looking to make everything equal.

So peter lieswell what was that you were saying about your scummy team not needing the rangers ?

Ten SPL clubs will discuss change in Old Firm's absence

All clubs in the Scottish Premier League, excluding Rangers and Celtic, will meet next week to discuss radical changes to Scottish football.

With Rangers in administration and facing going out of business, the clubs will discuss the voting structure.

They will also consider the distribution of income and the possibility of a 10-club second tier.

One SPL chairman told BBC Scotland: "This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to change things."

The 10 non-Old Firm SPL clubs have long been unhappy with the distribution of income as it favours Rangers and Celtic and also dislike an 11-1 majority requirement on major issues that they believe allows those two clubs to dictate change.

An SPL2 has also long been mooted and, in 2007, the 30 Scottish Football League clubs voted 22-8 to reject talks about forming a second tier of the SPL.

The SPL clubs reached agreement in January 2011 for a 10-team top league and a second tier of 12 teams, but that plan failed to materialise following growing opposition from clubs who preferred to expand the present top tier.

"We will be looking at a number of things," said the SPL club chairman. "Changing the voting structure will be part of that.

"We are at a crossroads and need to meet for the future of the game.

"This is the best chance in the last 25 years to stop the Old Firm's domination of the game.

"The distribution of income, a 12-club SPL and a 10-club top league below that, with more income for the clubs below, will all be discussed.

"We don't have a lot of time to plan. But, if we get the right plan in place, we can all go the same route."

It appears that support for changes is gathering pace with Rangers in danger of going into liquidation, which could at least lead to the club leaving the SPL or going out of existence completely.

Another leading chairman said: "With the Old Firm having talked in the past about leaving Scottish football, we have had to think about a future without them.

"Part of that situation could be about to come true, so we have had time to think about how we would get on without them."

Celtic have not yet commented on the proposed meeting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17304341

I can see why they want to change the voting structure. In this current set up Us and Celtic hold all the cards. They just want a fairer say and a equal amount of money. What could happen if we don't agree, is that the SPL we know the now. Could dissolve, and these 10 clubs in question could end up back under a SFA/SFL banner.

What is going to be interesting... If both sides of the Oldfirm want the SPL to dissolve.

The TV money doesn't really make much difference in reality (because the amount is so small and presumably getting smaller) but it's become one of these issues that fans of the other teams bleat on about.

To be fair if you look at the formula it's pretty hard to justify - there's a fairly small drop in revenue between 1st and 2nd then a huge drop to 3rd. In fact the difference between finishing 2nd and 3rd is bigger than the difference between finishing 3rd and 12th.

The way I see this is the ten clubs are getting ready to grab a bigger slice of the pie.

We know that the spl requires an 11-1 vote to change anything.

They are getting ready in case we go into liquidation if that happens there will only be 11 spl club members and a 10-1 vote will swing any changes therefore they will vote themselves a bigger slice of all the sponsorship money and tv deals, at the minute the deals are all loaded in the favour of us and the beggers the ten will be looking to make everything equal.

So peter lieswell what was that you were saying about your scummy team not needing the rangers ?

This is it in a nutshell. As long as we are alive and kicking, there is fuck all these diddy clubs can do because ourselves and the tims will never vote less money. Take us out the picture and suddenly they have a chance to cream it in and fuck over the tims big time and as you say, the scum don't need us so they wont miss their bigger of share of what would be a smaller pot to piss in anyway.

Still, the way things are going, there is nothing they can do without the support of one or other of ourselves or the tims, because we ain't going nowhere.

I can see why they want to change the voting structure. In this current set up Us and Celtic hold all the cards. They just want a fairer say and a equal amount of money. What could happen if we don't agree, is that the SPL we know the now. Could dissolve, and these 10 clubs in question could end up back under a SFA/SFL banner.

What is going to be interesting... If both sides of the Oldfirm want the SPL to dissolve.

Sorry I don't get this; at the moment any change has to be agreed by 11 clubs,any dissenting vote scuppers any change so let's say St Mirren disagrees with any old firm led proposal and can veto it.In short surely every club has the same power.

As for an equal amount of money; the league winners get the top share decreasing amongst the rest depending on their league placings; again it is an incentive to perform and improve league positions.It is not as if there is a fantastic amount of money involved,I think the title winners get £1.3 million going down £200k per placing.

I've got nothing against them trying to get contingencies in place, the way it looks they are probably thinking with Rangers gone that their 10 vs septics 1 that they could have a majority vote on everything, instead of just us and the mhanky mob vetoing everything because it has to be a majority of 11.

Ultimately they are fighting over the scraps, if Rangers don't get back in there will be no money in scottish football other than what comes in through the turnstiles. Septic will be royally fucked so no matter what their unwashed following might be spewing out about us getting shafted, septic will be pushing for us to stay in behind the scenes, just self preservation.

if the spl voted us back in but were going to hand out draconian penalties such as a 15 point deduction for a few seasons i would rather we tell them to go feck themselves and join div 3 instead