Rangers v Ajax 73

I've never understood why the great Dave Smith is not remembered more fondly from that era - what a player!

Didn't he have a leg break which robbed him of quite a lot of playing time?

My early hero along with Doddie!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We also played Arsenal and the ticket price was something like 5p.Went with my old man and we didn't think we'd get in queues were huge.Don't remember the score but Alan Ball was playing for them and got pelters

00000042.gif Think they played in yellow top and blue shorts that game.

I didnt appreciate how good we were at the time Ajax were a force in Europe and so were we !

I am gutted that i never seen johan cruyff in the flesh play Holland were every kids dream team at the time

and as football folklore the best team not to win the world cup.

That said our team was on that level playing ajax and were never disgraced over two games .

I didnt appreciate how good we were at the time Ajax were a force in Europe and so were we !

I am gutted that i never seen johan cruyff in the flesh play Holland were every kids dream team at the time

and as football folklore the best team not to win the world cup.

That said our team was on that level playing ajax and were never disgraced over two games .

Half of that Ajax team played in the World Cup final in 1974, against a West Germany side which was stock full of players from the Bayern Munich side we pumped on the way to Barcelona.

Ajax were in the midst of winning 3 European Cups, and Bayern were to follow them by doing the same 3 ECs in a row.

Throw in the aforementioned World Cup final, and Rangers were competing with and beating the players who were at the very pinnacle of World football at the time.

That's what you call legends.

did we not play Borussa Moenchengladbach(sp) that year with Bertie Vogts as their captain

Yes. The following season they beat us 3-0, and we won 3-2 at Ibrox.

As well as Vogts, they had superstars like Bonhof, Heynkes, and Wimmer in the team.

Interesting that we pumped Munchengladbach 8-0 and 3-0 on the way to our first European final only a dozen years previously.

We also played Arsenal and the ticket price was something like 5p.Went with my old man and we didn't think we'd get in queues were huge.Don't remember the score but Alan Ball was playing for them and got pelters

Over 70,000 at that game, some real old Rangers legends were introduced to the crowd before kick-off.

Yes. The following season they beat us 3-0, and we won 3-2 at Ibrox.

As well as Vogts, they had superstars like Bonhof, Heynkes, and Wimmer in the team.

Interesting that we pumped Munchengladbach 8-0 and 3-0 on the way to our first European final only a dozen years previously.

Remember the 8-0 game more for the fact I was in hospital for about 6 weeks then.

No, quite the contrary. He was imperious on the way to our Barcelona glory, and I'm sure won the Scottish Player of the Year after it.

Aah!

I saw him come on as sub in a league cup sectional game at Ibrox in Aug 73 (my 1st scum game) - don't think he featured much after that?

uk.gifcunny funt.....was just a young boy . Remember got home just before Christmas and still got my present when leaving hospital at Christmas. Airfix Wellington Bomber kit.

I think I got the Airfix HMS Hood that year. I threw the fucking thing in the bin when Fuckyer Harry signed for them. :D

What were you in hospital for six weeks for? Were you a sickly child? :D