Is God helping?

MisterC

How the hell did they end up being Rangers supporters? Why follow a Protestant club?

By loving a football team for footballing reasons. People do not support a team because of what religion they are . We have a Presbyterian background, but as time has gone on you will probably find more Atheists, agnostics, or nothings in our support than real Protestants(or other religions).

No you cant. That is nonsense. The protestant faith is about a belief in God and how we choose to show this. Some people don't seem to understand the difference in Loyalist and Protestant.

Agree,but would add you can live your life with Protestant values and ethics and not believe in a Christian God.

As a lapsed CoS Presbyterian ,I still try my best to uphold the values and teachings of my childhood church.

This brand of Protestantism which many claim,based in hate,revenge and triumphantalism is completely alien to me.

No you cant. That is nonsense. The protestant faith is about a belief in God and how we choose to show this. Some people don't seem to understand the difference in Loyalist and Protestant.

And you don't understand the difference between a religion as a supernatural belief system and as a cultural force.

For some trying to rewrite history, Rangers weren't formed a protestant club, the protestant community took Rangers as thier club. I have no problem with our proud history and its link to protestants but Rangers doesn't belong to the protestant religion, it belongs to anyone who loves Rangers. It doesn't make you a better fan if your a unionist, protestant or which political party you vote, your born a Ranger and you die a Ranger, simples :)

For some trying to rewrite history, Rangers weren't formed a protestant club, the protestant community took Rangers as thier club. I have no problem with our proud history and its link to protestants but Rangers doesn't belong to the protestant religion, it belongs to anyone who loves Rangers. It doesn't make you a better fan if your a unionist, protestant or which political party you vote, your born a Ranger and you die a Ranger, simples :)

None the less we were formed by Protestants at a time when that was becoming more important.

I can't really see what the problem is with a sectarian based rivalry I mean in Spain it's the civil war as the background to it all and the people there just accept that it adds to the intensity of el clasico

How the hell did they end up being Rangers supporters? Why follow a Protestant club?

Rangers has alot of protestant fans but it has just as many atheists fans if not more.Rangers doesn't belong to any religion. If it makes you fell more of a fan then good for you :)Not having a dig but fuck religion ;)

And you don't understand the difference between a religion as a supernatural belief system and as a cultural force.

I absolutely understand the difference, but i also understand that the Protestant faith is based around the worship of God. It is a Christian faith. To say anything else is just wrong. Look up any dictionary, encyclopedia, search engine, ask any Minister, Priest, Rabbi, Imam. You will find that they will clarify it.

I absolutely understand the difference, but i also understand that the Protestant faith is based around the worship of God. It is a Christian faith. To say anything else is just wrong. Look up any dictionary, encyclopedia, search engine, ask any Minister, Priest, Rabbi, Imam. You will find that they will clarify it.

Whether you like it or not it is a cultural force which influences people with no interest in the supernatural side of things.

Whether you like it or not it is a cultural force which influences people with no interest in the supernatural side of things.

Of course it does, as does television, internet, social media etc etc. Everything has a cultural influence in our lives. But at the end of the day, if a person does not believe in God, they can not be a protestant. That was my point and is a fact. To claim to be makes them as full of shit as Plastic Paddies. I also believe that Mr C has had one hell of a good fishing trip.

That's a very narrow view ... there is also a Protestant culture that comes from many centuries of religious observance but is now independent of it

None the less we were formed by Protestants at a time when that was becoming more important.

I can't really see what the problem is with a sectarian based rivalry I mean in Spain it's the civil war as the background to it all and the people there just accept that it adds to the intensity of el clasico

Because were not all sectarian ;) Dont care what religion you are, l take people as l find them and find it sad that so many people judge others because of which faith you follow or lack of it.

That's a very narrow view ... there is also a Protestant culture that comes from many centuries of religious observance but is now independent of it

Its not narrow view at all. Its a fact. How can you even define a protestant culture when the Protestant Church is made up of so many faiths. It differs in Scotland, England, Europe, Africa, Middle East because they already have different cultures.

Because were not all sectarian ;) Dont care what religion you are, l take people as l find them and find it sad that so many people judge others because of which faith you follow or lack of it.

I'm not saying all Rangers fans are one religion any more than all septic fans are but I think it's fair to say that the old firm rivalry has a sectarian background because that is the history of the west of Scotland during the last 100 or so years

Its not narrow view at all. Its a fact. How can you even define a protestant culture when the Protestant Church is made up of so many faiths. It differs in Scotland, England, Europe, Africa, Middle East because they already have different cultures.

You can't drive a cross deeply into a country for hundreds of years and expect no trace to be left when the cross is eventually removed

I'm not saying all Rangers fans are one religion any more than all septic fans are but I think it's fair to say that the old firm rivalry has a sectarian background because that is the history of the west of Scotland during the last 100 or so years

Can't disagree with that and yes it does and a bit of spice to the fire :)