Guardiola = Man Utd

Didn't Guardiola nurture many of them, first while still a player, and then when managing the B side?

When he got the big job he gutted the place, brought in some new signings, promoted some of the youngsters and changed the training methods. Hardly, what can be described as ready-made!

Come on Casey, we can't expect logic, intelligence and honesty when discussing Barcelona.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He cant be judged as a good manager until he does it with another club IMO. The players he had at his disposal made it an easy job.

I seem to remember he ditched many of the world class players at his disposal and brought through unknowns from the youth team instead (whom he had nurtured while manager of the Barcelona B team and turned them into world beaters and in some cases literally world champions within two years.)

Hardly an Ikea job.

people have been touting replacements for Ferguson for over 10 years. I'm starting to wonder if the man will ever retire. As for Pep, the sooner he comes back the better - will be interesting to see what he can achieve with a different team.

Pep Guardiola wants to be the next manager of Chelsea.

The former Barcelona boss plans to return to the game next summer and has made it clear to friends he sees his future at Stamford Bridge.

After winning three La Liga titles and two European Cups in four seasons at the Nou Camp, Guardiola, 41, quit this year and is in New York on a sabbatical with his family.

article-2227857-12C011CD000005DC-334_634x459.jpg

Waiting for the call: Former Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola

article-2227857-0F41A11000000578-892_634x552.jpg

Up in the air: Guardiola and Barca players at Wembley in 2011

article-2227857-15A99B3D000005DC-479_306x423.jpg

Pressure: Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich

When he announced he was taking a year off he was sounded out by Chelsea about taking over but he rejected the club's approaches.

Roberto Di Matteo was made to wait more than three weeks after Chelsea's Champions League final win last May before being appointed full-time manager on a two-year deal.

Chelsea, overtaken at the top of the Barclays Premier League by Manchester United on Saturday, are struggling in the defence of their European title and play Shakhtar Donetsk, who beat them a fortnight ago in the Ukraine, at home on Wednesday.

After his success in Spain - he had a staggering 72 per cent win record in La Liga - Guardiola could have the pick of Europe's top clubs but has made it known to his close circle of advisers that Chelsea is his preferred choice.

There has been a noticeable shift in the type of player Chelsea are signing. Juan Mata, who signed in summer 2011, along with this season's recruits Eden Hazard and Brazilian midfielder Oscar, have all been schooled to play a certain way.

That has attracted Guardiola and there is pressure on owner Roman Abramovich as he considers his long-term plans for the club.

Pep fact file

May 8, 2008:

Succeeded Frank Rijkaard as Barcelona coach.

Won 14 trophies in four years.

Honours list: 2 Champions League crowns, 3 La Liga titles, 2 Copa del Reys, 2 UEFA Super Cups, 3 Supercopa de Espana, 2 FIFA Club World Cups.

June 30, 2012: Quit to take a year’s sabbatical.

Record: P247, W179, D47 L21 F638 A457

Win percentage: 72.47%

Guardiola is credited with the evolution of Frank Rijkaard's 2006 Champions League-winning team and took Barcelona to another level when they beat Manchester United in the final at Wembley in 2011.

Lionel Messi thrived under him while Xavi and Andres Iniesta, both substitutes in the 2006 final against Arsenal, are now regarded as the two best midfielders in the world.

Although Manchester City are monitoring Guardiola's position, the champions are committed to Roberto Mancini.

But that loyalty will be tested if they go out of the Champions League at the group stage for the second successive season.

Mancini's relationship with his players is once again fractured, and he is demanding a response against Ajax on Tuesday.

City's new chief executive Ferran Soriano and director of football Txiki Begiristain were at Barcelona during the glory years.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2BLu2JjQT

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

There was a really good discussion about Gaurdiola on Sunday Supplement today. I'm not sure if anybody else seen it but Patrick Barclay basically asked if people are right to assume that Pep will be able to take what he did at Barca and do it elsewhere as easly as people think he will.

He didn't dismiss his ability or anything like that, but he questioned if Pep being so intigrated in to the Barca culture for so long helped him do the job that he did and if he could/install the same ehtos do the same at another club that he doesn't know inside out.

It made for a good debate IMO.

That's a perfectly reasonable debate. I have no strong conviction that Guardiola would be very successful elsewhere, and yet I don't believe that means he isn't a great manager. I was not under the impression that there was only one definition of a great manager, and that it meant having success at multiple clubs. No manager has ever had such a rate of success at one club as Guardiola did, taking on a club in decline, gutting it and building one of the all-time great teams in just a few seasons. Whether he achieves greatness elsewhere or not, he achieved it at Barcelona.

Didn't Guardiola nurture many of them, first while still a player, and then when managing the B side?

When he got the big job he gutted the place, brought in some new signings, promoted some of the youngsters and changed the training methods. Hardly, what can be described as ready-made!

His dream is to be Chelsea's next manager! :D

http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

I would be grateful if someone could do the c&p job for me, ta.

Come on Casey, we can't expect logic, intelligence and honesty when discussing Barcelona.

I seem to remember he ditched many of the world class players at his disposal and brought through unknowns from the youth team instead (whom he had nurtured while manager of the Barcelona B team and turned them into world beaters and in some cases literally world champions within two years.)

Hardly an Ikea job.

Im not disputing the job he done at barca. All im saying is it's not like he took a mid table team and made them great. Lets not forget the wealth he had at his disposal and the fact barca hadn't long before it been the champions of Europe. Hardly a poor team he inherited.For the record im not saying this because it's barca. I like barca. Im not a big fan of la liga but I would take barca over real Madrid.And youre right Jamie it certainly wasn't an Ikea job he had.