NFL player shoots girlfriend then commits suicide in front of Coach and GM

Tragedy struck in the NFL early Saturday morning with the news that a Kansas City Chiefs player committed suicide at the team's Arrowhead Stadium practice facility, after shooting and killing his girlfriend at home a short time earlier, SI.com has learned.

The player who shot himself is fourth-year linebacker Jovan Belcher, 25, Kansas City police have confirmed. There are no other known injuries at the Chiefs facility.

The Chiefs released a statement saying: "We can confirm that there was an incident at Arrowhead earlier this morning. We are cooperating with authorities in their investigation.''

Later in the day, team owner Clark Hunt issued his own statement, reading: "The entire Chiefs family is deeply saddened by today's events, and our collective hearts are heavy with sympathy, thoughts and prayers for the families and friends affected by this unthinkable tragedy. We sincerely appreciate the expressions of sympathy and support we have received from so many in the Kansas City and NFL communities, and ask for continued prayers for the loved ones of those impacted.

"We will continue to fully cooperate with the authorities and work to ensure that the appropriate counseling resources are available to all members of the organization."

According to police, Belcher shot and killed his girlfriend, 22, at home around 8 a.m. CT, with the woman's mother present and a witness to the murder. Belcher then drove to the team facility, where he later shot and killed himself in the parking lot of the team complex, in front of GM Scott Pioli and coach Romeo Crennel, as well as other team personnel. A KCPD spokesman said Pioli and Crennel tried to talk to Belcher, who thanked the men before taking his life. Belcher and his girlfriend had a three-month-old child.

The Chiefs (1-10) are scheduled to play at Arrowhead Stadium Sunday at noon CT, against the Carolina Panthers (3-8). One league source in the NFL office said officials were still trying to decide Saturday morning whether the game will be played on Sunday as scheduled. He said his guess was that the game would not be postponed or canceled, due to the complications of when to re-schedule the game in the remaining weeks of the season, or how a cancellation might affect the other 30 teams in the league in terms of competitive fairness.

"There is a ripple effect,'' the source said. "It's not simply two teams affected here. I'm not sure in recent history we've ever just canceled a game. But what's under consideration are all the factors involved if they don't play, when do they play? It's a pretty tight schedule to try and make a game up at some later point. These things have to be thought through. Nobody wants to play a football game right now if you're a Kansas City Chief, but what does that do to the other 30 teams? It gets a little complicated from a schedule standpoint and a competitive standpoint.

The league source said the NFL did not feel it was mandatory to make a decison in regards to the game before Carolina boarded its mid-day flight to Kansas City. "If the Panthers have to fly back from Kansas City without having played the game, it's not that big of an issue to deal with,'' the source said. "We'd rather take the time to think through all the ramifications.''

Kansas City mayor Sly James said that he's spoken with the Chiefs, who believe the game Sunday should be played.

Belcher was a fourth-year reserve linebacker who went undrafted out of the University of Maine in 2009. He signed with Kansas City as a collegiate free agent after the draft.

http://sportsillustr....html?hpt=hp_t1

Would never happen in a country that doesn't have such crazy guns policy as USA.

Really. So Chicago has some of the most stringent gun laws in the US: how do you explain them also have one of the highest crime rates in the world?

Because criminals and loonys will do their thing with or without the legal right to own a gun?

Maybe instead of trying to take away a right, from a majority of people who dont go about abusing that right; they should focus on solving the real cause of incidents like this?

Crazy idea, Isn't it.

Really. So Chicago has some of the most stringent gun laws in the US: how do you explain them also have one of the highest crime rates in the world?

Because criminals and loonys will do their thing with or without the legal right to own a gun?

Maybe instead of trying to take away a right, from a majority of people who dont go about abusing that right; they should focus on solving the real cause of incidents like this?

Crazy idea, Isn't it.

You shouldn't have the right to own a gun IMO

You shouldn't have the right to own a gun IMO

So, in your opinion, you shouldn't be allowed the means to defend you, your family or your property?

Like I said, crime is most rife in the US in states where gun laws are most stringent.

This man didnt kill people because he was given the right to own a gun, he killed people and himself, because he clearly had problems.

I know its a crazy idea for normal people to be able to defend themselves against people who wouldn't and in 99% of cases, don't, respect gun laws.

Hitler was obsessed with disarming Germans so whenever I hear politicians, especially ones who take large sums of money from bankers, talking about gun control; I get nervous.

So, in your opinion, you shouldn't be allowed the means to defend you, your family or your property?

Like I said, crime is most rife in the US in states where gun laws are most stringent.

This man didnt kill people because he was given the right to own a gun, he killed people and himself, because he clearly had problems.

I know its a crazy idea for normal people to be able to defend themselves against people who wouldn't and in 99% of cases, don't, respect gun laws.

Hitler was obsessed with disarming Germans so whenever I hear politicians, especially ones who take large sums of money from bankers, talking about gun control; I get nervous.

Its almost impossible to get a gun in Poland. And you know what? It works. No shootings in years. No gun related crimes. Like, at all.

Random people having guns; that's just plain scary. Too many nutjobs out there.

Its almost impossible to get a gun in Poland. And you know what? It works. No shootings in years. No gun related crimes. Like, at all.

Oh, so there isnt quite a large black market for guns in Poland? So unlike the US its not piss easy to buy illegals guns? How is it in any way comparable? If criminals in your country found it as easy as they do in the US, and the people were not allowed to arm themselves legally, crime would be just as rife.

There is nothing random about people owning a gun legally. The process in most states is very thorough. Also, out of nearly 300 million people, how many people do we hear about snapping and shooting people? Its quite a low percentage and we all get upset over it; but fuck, a politician starts a war over a lie, over a million people die, and we vote to give them more power. Why is it they get more powerful as normal people continue to be stripped of their rights? Most of which were not given to them by a government. They were born with them.

Hitler also wanted to build a motorway network, I wonder what Cameron is up to widening the M6.

Fact is banning guns in the USA is pointless. I wouldn't want liberalised gun laws in the UK as I don't like the idea of people wondering about carrying weapons. However we don't have a history of liberalised gun laws and there aren't millions of guns already in this country, unlike the US.

As you said, this guy had issues and clearly lost it. It's a tricky one, but gun ownership is ingrained in the US culture.

Hitler also wanted to build a motorway network, I wonder what Cameron is up to widening the M6.

Fact is banning guns in the USA is pointless. I wouldn't want liberalised gun laws in the UK as I don't like the idea of people wondering about carrying weapons. However we don't have a history of liberalised gun laws and there aren't millions of guns already in this country, unlike the US.

As you said, this guy had issues and clearly lost it. It's a tricky one, but gun ownership is ingrained in the US culture.

Clearly Cameron needs wider motorways to carry more buses full of gypsies and vagrants to the concentration camps....

Guns are engrained in their culture because their founding fathers recognized the need for the people to be able to defend themselves. For some reason people outwith the US are brainwashed into having this idea that Americans who own guns only do so--so they can all shoot each other to death, when the truth is the majority of legitimate gun owners never take their guns out of their houses; let alone the cabinets and other places they are kept. The whole idea of gun ownership is demonized by the media but they leave politicians alone when they order bombs dropped on villages full of innocent people. Who are any of these people to tell average Joe American what he should or shouldn't do, considering the horrible, vile shit they get up to themselves?

Its similar to Declan and Brendan preaching to me about the wrongs of tax avoidance schemes when their club is a horrible wee den of villainy.

Poland has over 500,000 guns in circulation. 7% of it's homicides are caused by guns.

Not bad.

Clearly Cameron needs wider motorways to carry more buses full of gypsies and vagrants to the concentration camps.... :lol:

Guns are engrained in their culture because their founding fathers recognized the need for the people to be able to defend themselves. For some reason people outwith the US are brainwashed into having this idea that Americans who own guns only do so--so they can all shoot each other to death, when the truth is the majority of legitimate gun owners never take their guns out of their houses; let alone the cabinets and other places they are kept. The whole idea of gun ownership is demonized by the media but they leave politicians alone when they order bombs dropped on villages full of innocent people. Who are any of these people to tell average Joe American what he should or shouldn't do, considering the horrible, vile shit they get up to themselves?

Its similar to Declan and Brendan preaching to me about the wrongs of tax avoidance schemes when their club is a horrible wee den of villainy.

It's quite a polarised debate and I sit on the anti-ownership side of the fence. I know a few Americans and most of them have a gun in the house, gun in the car and very occasionally will carry a gun. I don't want to live in a country where I know the majority of people own guns, just my opinion.

But as I said, I wouldn't advocate banning them in the USA, it would be a pointless exercise.

Poland has over 500,000 guns in circulation. 7% of it's homicides are caused by guns.

Not bad.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list

7% percent of homicides caused by firearm ranks 18th in the world out of 196 so yeah, not bad. USA has 60% of homicides caused by firearm. It's Zimbabwe-like numbers.

500.000 guns in almost 40.000.000 country, wouldn't say it's much. There are 450.000 in Slovakia, country of 5.000.000 people.

If you feel safer with the idea of almost everyone holding a gun, okay. I wouldn't like to even imagine how dangerous my city would look like with less strict gun policy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list

7% percent of homicides caused by firearm ranks 18th in the world out of 196 so yeah, not bad. USA has 60% of homicides caused by firearm. It's Zimbabwe-like numbers.

500.000 guns in almost 40.000.000 country, wouldn't say it's much. There are 450.000 in Slovakia, country of 5.000.000 people.

If you feel safer with the idea of almost everyone holding a gun, okay. I wouldn't like to even imagine how dangerous my city would look like with less strict gun policy.

As has been stated further up, the USA has had gun ownership all through it's history. Even if a politician was stupid enough to suggest a ban, it would never be passed, and even if it was, it would never be observed.

In the same way, introducing mass gun ownership into a country which doesn't have a history of them, would be folly.

Ah, Godwin's Law.

A guy I know was saying it might have been partially induced by the multiple concussions he'd recieved while playing. Supposedly it was the same situation with Chris Benoit, and some other former NFL players. It's an interesting thought.