Reality check

plymouthranger

I understand the anger of fans towards changing the name of Ibrox. Trust me in an ideal world where we could turn our noses up at a few million a year, I wouldn't change the name either. But people, football is sadly a business these days, and we've sadly got to accept that.

40years ago, no teams had shirt sponsors, now everyone does. In 40 years time, I think every stadium will have a corporate name. Does that mean their original names will disappear, no. It'll just be mentioned in certain media outlets as the sports direct arena etc. just because we're sponsored by tennents, doesn't mean we're know as tennents fc. Just as arsenal aren't emirates fc etc.

Hypothetically, the money raised could be far greater than it originally appears. Say we earn 2million a year from selling the stadium rights, and we sign a player with that extra cash, and he becomes a 10million pound player who we sell for a massive profit a couple of seasons later..then is it a bad idea?

Just my opinion, I completely understand the reaction to the stadium rights, but I do feel that we shouldn't be putting Charlie under pressure when the mans clearly doing what's best for the club. I don't agree with protesting when he comes on the pitch, the mans one of us, don't boo him. Without the man, we might not have been playing football this season..

I understand the anger of fans towards changing the name of Ibrox. Trust me in an ideal world where we could turn our noses up at a few million a year, I wouldn't change the name either. But people, football is sadly a business these days, and we've sadly got to accept that.

40years ago, no teams had shirt sponsors, now everyone does. In 40 years time, I think every stadium will have a corporate name. Does that mean their original names will disappear, no. It'll just be mentioned in certain media outlets as the sports direct arena etc. just because we're sponsored by tennents, doesn't mean we're know as tennents fc. Just as arsenal aren't emirates fc etc.

Hypothetically, the money raised could be far greater than it originally appears. Say we earn 2million a year from selling the stadium rights, and we sign a player with that extra cash, and he becomes a 10million pound player who we sell for a massive profit a couple of seasons later..then is it a bad idea?

Just my opinion, I completely understand the reaction to the stadium rights, but I do feel that we shouldn't be putting Charlie under pressure when the mans clearly doing what's best for the club. I don't agree with protesting when he comes on the pitch, the mans one of us, don't boo him. Without the man, we might not have been playing football this season..

agree.

It'll just be mentioned in certain media outlets as the sports direct arena etc

This is a reason I'm against it. "Sports Direct Arena" is tacky as fuck. It sounds cheap imo. If it's going to be changed at all I'd like the supporters to have a say and Ibrox should still be involved in the name. In saying that, "Sports Direct Ibrox Stadium" isn't as bad as Sports Direct Arena.

I'm not necessarily saying it'd be sports direct..

I swear newcastles title was sports direct arena @ st James park.

Tbh we'd call it ibrox, they can call it whatever the fuck they want if their paying enough (barring something like the Vatican arena FFS)

If we sell the Ibrox name - I would agree on one condition. That is we sell Charlies name too - any other colour you wish, pick any.