Biggest away support ever?

adamlafferty

I know the subject is club teams but I'd guess the biggest ever away support was the Scotland following at Wembley back in the day. Used to be quoted as an 80,000/20,000 Scotland/England split. Large percentage of Bears as well in those days.

I was thinking of that game too. What was the official attendance, anyone know?

38,585 was the official attendance - we can only guess how many of them were Hibs fans but I'm sure our support would have topped 30,000. I was at that match & apart from about half the main stand & an area behind the goal at the Leith end it seemed to be all Rangers No doubt any old firm match with a 75,000 plus crowd pre 1980's would have had a larger visiting support.

I'm sure the Rangers support at the cup tie against Queens Park at Hampden in 1930 (95,722) must have been the biggest away support ever for a club match. A midweek away league game the same season only drew 13,000, but a Saturday league game at Hampden the previous year drew 60,000. Guessing the biggest ever away support for any league game in that era is near impossible as very few games were all ticket & there was no official segregation.

I don't think there is any doubt that our support yesterday would be the biggest ever away support at a league match in Britain in the all seater era.

How do you know this?

Sure I read it on Google news function searching Rangers this morning but can't find it now (on phone). I'll retract my post as I might be wrong, but what other 4th tier league game (not a play off) has attracted a higher away support than 30,000?

Edit: Found it. It was on the scotsman website.

Hampden Park holds a number of world attendance records, and another one was added yesterday when the largest visiting support ever to attend an away fourth tier league match other than a play-off filled two-thirds of the famous old ground.

In this most extraordinary year in Rangers’ history, some of the attendance record claims have been disputed, but that world record is beyond doubt

Sure I read it on Google news function searching Rangers this morning but can't find it now (on phone). I'll retract my post as I might be wrong, but what other 4th tier league game (not a play off) has attracted a higher away support than 30,000?

If I was aware of any other contender, I would have said so.