Is Wenger a gold plated dud?

Thermopylae

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing he did was buy Viera, then brought in the likes of Henry etc.. Short of Bergkamp, Wenger signed almost all of the invincibles team.

He also led Arsenal through two seasons only losing like one league match. His win % is remarkable when you consider it's only a fraction behind Ferguson and he's done it on a significantly smaller budget and whilst his board sold his best players - some of which to Man Utd directly!

I think he's done 'alright', aye..

Thats all good and well Alan,but supporters have short memories,his footballing philosophy is going to be his undoing im afraid,you know and i know its all about the winning UNFORTUNATLY,because for me the best ever side i watched was the BRILLIANT Brazilian team of 1982......

I really hope you have been knocking back the cold drinks tonight I would hate to think this is you sober :drugang:

You said that The Invincibles side was the best, yet you somehow try to claim that it has something to do with George Graham even though he had nothing to do with the players who were the mainstay of that team. Bergkamp apart(signed by Rioch), Wenger recruited them all.

His professorial manner tends to put him above criticism but it's been so long since he won anything that you really do begin to wonder if he knows what he's doing.

I know he had a good team many years ago but a lot of that was build by George Graham

People do not do the honourable thing anymore and resign,yet alone get sacked.

I think you have to take into consideration that the stadium will be paid off this year and also the sponsership deals are up for renewal as well. The investment in the stadium must still be affectting the amount that they can spend. Once it is paid off then Arsenal are in a far better postion finacally than the teams around them. Take spurs and liverpool they still are in their grounds that dont have the capacity Arsenal have.

I support Arsenal and want them to win trophies but I do think there is a bigger picture and think that what Wenger has done (to keep them in the Top 4 for the past 13 year) has been good considering having to sell his best players. I dont buy into this opinion that he is stuck in his ways and wont change it. Do you really think he would risk his reptutation.

I think the players have to take alot of the responsiblity as some of them just have not been performing and tend to hide when it gets tough.

You said that The Invincibles side was the best, yet you somehow try to claim that it has something to do with George Graham even though he had nothing to do with the players who were the mainstay of that team. Bergkamp apart(signed by Rioch), Wenger recruited them all.

The team before that with the Graham defence was at least as good the 2003 ones were lucky that Ferguson was rebuilding at that time

Missing out to titles to the likes of Man Utd, Man City & Chelsea is understandable and forgivable.

What's really concerning is the way his teams have imploded near the end of the season in a lot of the campaigns and how they've bottled a lot of big games.

In seasons 07/08, 09/10 and 10/11 Arsenal ended the season in an absolute car crash of a fashion and on all three occasions they were well poised to go on and challenge for the title. It's clearly not a quality issue but maybe of his sides lacking the bottle they did in the past?

If you win three titles in the EPL as a manager you aren't a dud but things don't seem to be progressing and while it would be mad to write off their chances of catching Spurs considering the implosion Spurs enjoyed last season under Harry, AVB's side look more likely at this stage to finish in the top four.

I wonder how successful Arsenal would have been after 2004 if Mourinho hadn't arrived for Chelsea and changed the situation. Man Utd were in the doldrums in those years and Arsenal had a great squad (tu)

I think the best post was one near the start of the tread that Wenger brought a lot of innovations that allowed him to build on what Graham left but as with most things in life the opposition soon learned from this and have now left him behind. I just don't see how he can keep his job after an empty trophy cabinet for 8 years ... I mean Dalglish won more than that last season and still got the sack

I think the best post was one near the start of the tread that Wenger brought a lot of innovations that allowed him to build on what Graham left but as with most things in life the opposition soon learned from this and have now left him behind. I just don't see how he can keep his job after an empty trophy cabinet for 8 years ... I mean Dalglish won more than that last season and still got the sack

Wenger's never finished with as little as 52 points, lost 14 games and perhaps most importantly finished behind the local rivals who you consider yourself superior to in every way though (tu)

The team before that with the Graham defence was at least as good the 2003 ones were lucky that Ferguson was rebuilding at that time

I quoted your words, not knowing that you would then say something completely different once your argument hit the skids.

Hey ho.