Giude to Scottish football grounds

anyone else here like this website:

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/scotland/

I enjoy scrolling my way through the grounds on here. always have a wee read about the places Rangers are going to next. next up Elgin :

Elgin City

Borough Briggs

Capacity: 3,927 (478 Seated)

Address:

Borough Briggs Road, Elgin, IV30 1AP

Telephone No: 01343 551 114

Fax No: 01343 547 921

Pitch Size: 110 x 75 yards

Club Nickname: Black & Whites

Year Ground Opened: 1921

Shirt Sponsors: John Fleming

Home Kit Colours:

Black & White Stripes

Official Web Site:

www.elgincity.com

Unofficial Web Site:

Any Recommendations?

ewelgin.gif

book-hotels-nearby.jpg

Contents

What's The Ground Like?

Main Stand (photo)

What Is It Like For Visiting Supporters?

Where To Drink?

Covered Enclosure (photo)

How To Get There By Car & Where To Park

By Train

Layout Of The Ground

Admission Prices

Programme Price

Fixtures 2012-2013

Local Rivals

Record & Average Attendance

Hotel Accommodation

What's The Ground Like?

On one side of the ground is a small, covered Main Stand. This all seater stand runs for only about half the length of the pitch and straddles the half way line. There is terracing to one side of this stand. On the other side of the ground is a small covered terrace, which is divided between home and away supporters. This enclosure looks quite old and has a number of supporting pillars. Both ends have newish open terraces that are set back from the pitch. These were opened in the year 2000. An unusual aspect of the ground is the odd looking floodlights running down each side of the pitch, the bases of which, on the enclosure side go down through the roof and onto the terrace, further hindering the spectators view of the playing action. Borough Briggs is the most northerly professional club ground in the UK.

Main Stand

elgin30.jpg

What Is It Like For Visiting Supporters? Away fans are located on the Western side of the covered enclosure. This stand is a little grim and the views of the action, unless you are right of the front of the stand can be quite poor, as there are a number of supporting pillars to contend with. The facilities in this area are quite basic, but at least it is covered and even a small number of away fans can really make some noise from this terrace. You will normally find a warm welcome at Borough Briggs and this makes for a good day out.

Where To Drink?

There is a supporters social club which welcomes away fans, the entrance to which is located behind the Main Stand. The social club is quite comfortable, so much so that the barman was telling me that on one occasion, two supporters from Stranraer never left the bar all Saturday afternoon and didn't get to see the game! Otherwise if you take a 15 minute walk into the town centre, then there is a Wetherspoons outlet located on the High Street, called the Muckle Cross.

Covered Enclosure

elgin31.jpg

How To Get There By Car & Where To Park

Coming from the East or West along the A96, continue into Elgin until you reach the roundabout that has Elgin Town Hall situated on one corner. Turn at this roundabout onto the A941 (North Street) towards Lossiemouth. After a short distance down this road, take the second road on your left (Borough Briggs Road) and the ground is situated down this road on your right. There is plenty of street parking around the ground.

For a map showing the location of the ground click here (to take you to the Street Map website).

By Train Elgin train station is about a mile from the ground and should take about 15 minutes to walk. Kevin Craig provides the following directions; 'As you leave the station turn left and continue up a steep hill. Continue straight on this road crossing two roundabouts and at the third roundabout turn left. Go up this road for some 500 yards and you should see the ground on your left hand side'.

Ground Layout

pitelgin.jpg

Admission Prices

Seating:

Adults £12, Concessions £7

Terrace:

Adults £10, Concessions £5

Programme Price Official Programme £1.50

Fixtures 2012-2013 Elgin City FC fixture list (takes you to the BBC Sports Website).

Local Rivals Peterhead, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Lossiemouth & Forres.

Record & Average Attendance Record Attendance:

12,608 v Arbroath,

Scottish Cup, February 17th, 1968.

Average Attendance:

2011-2012: 627 (Division Three)

2010-2011: 522 (Division Three)

2009-2010: 403 (Division Three)

when i was a kid i memorised all the clubs foundation dates, ground names, nicknames and colours from all the English amd Scottish leagues.

not so good at it now cos plenty have new grounds

did you know Raith Rovers are the only club in the UK to have a ground name that rhymes?

yes useless trivia i know

Now you're talking - love this sort of shit.

aye nothing like the excitment of seeing a new ground for the first time or spotting the floodlights

im a bit of the geek in that respect :lol:

even now if someone puts a random club to me i can tell them the year founded, ground, nickname and colours.

the result of a misspent youth spent with Rothmans yearbooks :craphead:

Bugger !! Was putting together a little quiz about the names of the grounds in Scotland and England and the answers were all off that website! <cr> <cr> :unsure: :unsure: The Question was going to be :- The majority of football grounds in Scotland are called Parks where in England the majority of grounds in England are called stadiums . Ibrox officially changed its name from Ibrox park to Ibrox stadium in 1997. Can you name the league grounds in Scotland with Stadium in their name and the league grounds in England with Park in their name?

Bugger !! Was putting together a little quiz about the names of the grounds in Scotland and England and the answers were all off that website! <cr> <cr> :unsure: :unsure: The Question was going to be :- The majority of football grounds in Scotland are called Parks where in England the majority of grounds in England are called stadiums . Ibrox officially changed its name from Ibrox park to Ibrox stadium in 1997. Can you name the league grounds in Scotland with Stadium in their name and the league grounds in England with Park in their name?

ok ok im not gonna cheat but are you sure there are heaps in england called stadium? i thought not: only modern built grounds

ok lets have a think about parks in england

Fratton Park, Portsmouth FC for starters

Answers. Scottish league stadiums . Hearts - Tynecastle Stadium

Aberdeen - Pittodrie Stadium

Inverness - Tulloch Caledonian Stadium

Ross County - Global Energy Stadium

Partick Thistle - Firhill Stadium

Livingston - Almondvale Stadium.

Falkirk- Falkirk Stadium

Aidrie Utd - Excelsior Stadium

Dumbarton - Dumbarton Football Stadium sponsored by Douglas L. Cameron !

East Fife - Bayview Stadium. .

Albion Rovers - Cliffton hill Stadium.

Rangers - Ibrox Stadium

Clyde - Broadwood Stadium

Peterhead - Balmour Stadium

[center Stirling Albion - Forthbank Stadium. 15 in total

Sorry about alignment of post !!!! dont know why its posted it like that ? with everthing all out of alignment didnt look like that when wrote it, no preview of post button either.

Answers for English League grounds with Park in the tittle.

Premiership - Everton - Goodison Park

Newcastle - St James Park

Aston Villa - Villa Park

Championship - Blackburn- Ewood Park

Crystal Palace -Selhurst Park

League 1 - Tranmere Rovers- Prenton Park

Brenford - Griffin Park

Yeovil - Huish Park

Carlisle - Brunton Park

Oldham Boundary Park

Scunthorpe - Glanford Park

Portsmouth - Fratton Park

Hartlepool - Victoria Park.

League 2 Port Vale - Vale Park

Exeter - St James Park

Wycombe - Adams Park

Plymouth - Home Park. 17 in total

NB. The one most people get incorrect is West Ham officially play at the Boleyn Ground which is situated in Upton Park which is an urban area in the London Borough of Newham.

Anybody into the way football grounds look or how each one of them was developed over time . There' s a series of fantastic books called Football grounds from the air by Ian Hay .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britains-Football-Grounds-Discovery-Guides/dp/184746145X

Basically aerial photographs of grounds round Great Britain with text about how each stand came about over the years .

Found a couple of these books in a charity shop :thumbup:

I see Shawfield (Clyde) once had a crowd of 51,000 :blink:

I have been in Shawfield a few times & the thought of there ever been 51,000 in the ground terrifies me (& guess who the away team where that day).......the only show in town.!!!!! :clap:

Anybody into the way football grounds look or how each one of them was developed over time . There' s a series of fantastic books called Football grounds from the air by Ian Hay .

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/184746145X

Basically aerial photographs of grounds round Great Britain with text about how each stand came about over the years .

Found a couple of these books in a charity shop :thumbup:

cool

way back in the 80's i got this book the football grounds of england and it had all the grounds histories and pics of current ground as well as a description of what the ground looked like now.

then they brought out a new edition in the later 80's that also included Scottish Grounds

they were awesome books to have for the anorak sort of fans amongst us

alas i sold my copies years ago

love the traditional look of the UK football ground: big terraces, big floodlights in each corner of the ground and some scratching shed for a main stand. ah the good old days hey.

i had 3 months on the uk a while back and went to visit as many grounds as possible inc non league