Gazza on Daybreak

Inkster

I was wondering when the "if you had an alcoholic in the family" phrase would come up. You know nothing about me or my family so button it with the language please.

I do have an extensive vocabulary but on this occasion I couldn't for the life of me find a better or more suitable word.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering when the "if you had an alcoholic in the family" phrase would come up. You know nothing about me or my family so button it with the language please.

What does that have to do with anything?

So do you have you in your family ?

Do you? Or have you the same level of knowledge as most have from reading his books and TV interviews?

If so please enlighten us.

He was an alcoholic. It's pretty well known on here.

Actually he might still be. I just realised I always notice posts about whisky and shape throwing :lol:

And do you think its an illness? Or a weakness mentally? Or something else?

How did you overcome it? / Have you overcame it?

The mans issues are his private concern.

When it comes to illness or addictions its never black and white, it's best you leave it alone.

Good luck Gazza and all you others who are suffering.

I wish him the best, but have ran out of sympathy for Gazza. He basically said all the same things 24 months ago to Kay Burley on Sky.

Magic attitude. Guys has real problems, but fuck it he keeps falling off the bandwagon, waste of time.

The mans issues are his private concern.

When it comes to illness or addictions its never black and white, it's best you leave it alone.

Good luck Gazza and all you others who are suffering.

I completely agree, but he was the one who brought his personal situation into it. He was essentially telling a guy his opinion wasn't relevant as he couldn't understand it.

For me, having lived with a family member who was an alcoholic, I can say that being an alcoholic isn't an illness and that the person choses to drink.

I have little sympathy left for Gazza sadly, which is a shame given his contribution to our club, his personal circumstances and that when I met him when I was younger he was a very nice chap.

I completely agree, but he was the one who brought his personal situation into it. He was essentially telling a guy his opinion wasn't relevant as he couldn't understand it.

For me, having lived with a family member who was an alcoholic, I can say that being an alcoholic isn't an illness and that the person choses to drink.

I have little sympathy left for Gazza sadly, which is a shame given his contribution to our club, his personal circumstances and that when I met him when I was younger he was a very nice chap.

Are you being serious here? Really?

What does that have to do with anything?

So do you have you in your family ?

Ignorant? No, don’t think so

My sister-in-law is an alcoholic. She has been for a number of years. Some gins at night turned into pishing the couch, became multiple bottles at night, became a bottle during the day, and became a bottle first thing in the morning. Her 3 sisters all tried to get her to stop – nothing worked.

Her husband left, her kids moved out and then she lost the family home and had to move into social housing. Well, the accommodation she was offered were no more than doss houses, but the money from the social didn’t cover anything else, so my brother in law and I got her decent rented accommodation. We decorated her entire house got her furniture and pay a certain amount into her bank every month to cover the rent so she can stay at least somewhere decent and have some money to live on.

Things are marginally more stable at the moment but she falls of the wagon every so often and either my wife or the other two sisters get the calls at two in the morning from her pished and then it’s a return to the appointments up at Dykebar Hospital for more counselling – which as far as I can see is having no effect what so ever..

For the record I don’t think alcoholism is “a lifestyle choice” – neither do I think someone can just quit – but she made her choices re the drink until she didn’t have a choice anymore.

But to the point of the argument - I don’t feel any sympathy for her what so ever. I feel sympathy for her family, for her kids, for what her ex, for her mum and dad – what they went though for the last decade and what they still go through – but her? I think her behaviour was and is contemptible.

So good luck to Gazza – I wish him all the best - but sympathy? no, not anymore.

He can't understand because he's never lived it, as he's proved above. Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

Addiction completely removes any concept of choice.

Theres quite a bit of evidence to show that genetic predisposition plays a part in addiction, as do cultural and social factors, alcoholics are often created long before they've had their first drink.

As a recovering cocaine addict, I dont expect or want sympathy, I dont deserve it.

But that doesnt mean I dont have empathy for others in a bad way.

Good luck Paul, I hope you can stay sober and more importantly can learn to live without alcohol and be free of the demons that drive you to it.