Football Agents

Larry-AV

'Agents should be banned' - I agree with the sentiment, but cannot see it happening.

What I would like to see is all players' contracts including a breach clause :

'The Agent shall reimburse the Club to the full remaining value of this Contract if the Agent induces his Client to breach this Contract prior to the last three Calendar Months preceding the natural termination of this Contract.'

That would stop the uncertainty such has been discussed regarding Christian Benteke, for example, but leave time enough towards the end of the Contract to negotiate extensions, improvements, or transfers.

This would not stop the Club from offering improved terms during the period of the Contract, if it wanted to.

'Agents should be banned' - I agree with the sentiment, but cannot see it happening.

What I would like to see is all players' contracts including a breach clause :

'The Agent shall reimburse the Club to the full remaining value of this Contract if the Agent induces his Client to breach this Contract prior to the last three Calendar Months preceding the natural termination of this Contract.'

That would stop the uncertainty such has been discussed regarding Christian Benteke, for example, but leave time enough towards the end of the Contract to negotiate extensions, improvements, or transfers.

This would not stop the Club from offering improved terms during the period of the Contract, if it wanted to.

Clubs want agents though, managers and chairman are getting cash kick backs from deals and they are all part of the gravy train

Agents are as much a part of modern football as SKY TV deals and managers getting the boot after a couple of bad games (Ally aside that is) everybody knows they are milking clubs for all their worth but while players can avoid all responsibility for their sometimes shocking actions by blaming agents and chairmen can have their cake and eat it too then agents are here to stay unfortunately

If i was happy at a club my family are settled things are good why would i want an agent trying to get me a move?

No thanks i dont want to leave! NO

Is that just too simple?I thought the agent worked on your behalf not line their own pockets at any opportunity.

Clubs and managers should refuse to deal with agents. Bunch of fuckers.

But managers have them themselves whilst clubs use them on almost every deal, not just the players agent but third party agents to facilitate deals.

I think agents are convenient bad guys , when players leave its just easier to blame the 'evil' agent whose made the player leave when the reality is the agent works for the player not the other way around.

There is good and bad in every section of society so clearly there are unscrupulous agents out there but they now operate in many cases almost as scouts as well as facilitators. Have a read how chris samba ended up at Blackburn an agent (who also worked for rangers bringing in jelavic ) basically contacted a host of premier clubs who weren't interested until Blackburn took a look and made a huge profit on the deal when they sold him on whilst Samba's club did ok out it.

Agents exist because most footballers aren't smart enough to think financially.

They are there to perform an important role.

They aren't as bad as anyone makes out, it's just that anytime a player leaves any club everyone immidiately blames the agent, despite what might actually have happened.

They aren't as bad as anyone makes out, it's just that anytime a player leaves any club everyone immidiately blames the agent, despite what might actually have happened.

Before they existed you had a working class lad with little or no education sat with his father who was often no different negotiating a deal with a succesful businessman , players were bullied and bamboozled and were traded like pieces of meat. Obviously I can see the point it's swung too far but you can argue that the players deserve their share possibly more than the clubs chairman .

Agreed mate.

I read this article a while back and all those who are against agents (despite probably not fully understanding their role in the game) should give it a read:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/feb/19/football-agents-monaco

There is nothing wrong with agents - on a wide scale. There are genuine, honest agents out there who get called in to do a job by a player/club, does the job, shakes hands and completes the deal then carries on with his life.

There are though a small number of agents who think what's best for them rather than the client or the club and these are the agents to be wary of.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the Benteke situation?

a great read about agents is Tom Bowers book Broken dreams, go grab it on Amazon second hand for a penny. One of the best football books you will ever read. Took apart our Arry and Venables roles with agents letting us know all about the cosy relationship they have with agents and how money was getting diverted to managers from agents. Worryingly ha mentioned Walters time at Everton whereby he wouldn't sign any players unless Walters friendly Italian agent brokered the deals......with high commission rates paid into offshore unnamed bank accounts. They all have their nose in the trough

There is nothing wrong with agents - on a wide scale. There are genuine, honest agents out there who get called in to do a job by a player/club, does the job, shakes hands and completes the deal then carries on with his life.

There are though a small number of agents who think what's best for them rather than the client or the club and these are the agents to be wary of.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the Benteke situation?

I am not opposed to players using agents, just agents stirring up trouble to force moves (and getting their cut).

That is where Benteke comes in. He joined Aston Villa at the start of last season on a 3 year contract.

Because he was a success all the media are banging on about him moving to 'a big club', FFS.

The player has said he is happy to stay at AVFC, but his agent has not been as straightforward.

The 'breach clause' I suggested in my OP would prevent agents sowing doubt and disrupting Clubs.