Andy Murray vs Serena Williams

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you want to see best of 5 sets introduced in Women's tennis? Because I think that's the worst solution.

Yeah, I do. At least then I can go back to watching the men's championship, whilst ignoring the women's, satisfied that there is no injustice in the world!

Yeah, I do. At least then I can go back to watching the men's championship, whilst ignoring the women's, satisfied that there is no injustice in the world!

Even though the best of 5 sets womens matches will cause more scheduling problems at grand slams leaving you unsure of when those mens matches will be.

I'm not denying its awful to watch, but that's not an actual reason why the shouldn't play 5 sets.

Most women players are against it as it would actually require them to lose weight and become athletic.

Really? Any time I have ever heard it mentioned, every woman discussing it has been emphatic about wanting to play five setters at the slams.

Even though the best of 5 sets womens matches will cause more scheduling problems at grand slams leaving you unsure of when those mens matches will be.

Yes. Extend the tournament. Increase the number of courts. I know this will be costly and far from easy, but equality usually is.

Really? Any time I have ever heard it mentioned, every woman discussing it has been emphatic about wanting to play five setters at the slams.

I must've missed this. They certainly don't fight as hard for it as they did the money! Give them what they want then.

:lol: Yeah, because it was as simple and quick as that when it came to equal prize money.

There was clear campaigning for that. Can't say i've seen the same for this.

And could you link me to all these women saying they want 5 set matches?

As I said before, It shouldn't even be down to them. There is simply no reason why they don't play 5 sets in slams.

Yes. Extend the tournament. Increase the number of courts. I know this will be costly and far from easy, but equality usually is.

I'm sure they'll be delighted to increase costs and overheads for an even worse product that less people will want to see. And is it equal for men to be physically and genetically stronger and fitter than women?

:lol: Yeah, because it was as simple and quick as that when it came to equal prize money.

It happened though. Nobody said it would be easy. Chuck everything that we can't do in a day should we?

So how slow and difficult was it introducing equal money?

I'm sure they'll be delighted to increase costs and overheads for an even worse product that less people will want to see. And is it equal for men to be physically and genetically stronger and fitter than women?

What's that got to do with it? They are in separate competitions. It's not unequal in the context of tennis if they only play others of their gender. Even if that argument worked it suggests men should be paid more as the product will be better.

As for overheads. Tough really. The overheads created increasing the women's pay were met. Overheads occur in doing things that are morally necessary sometimes.

What's that got to do with it? They are in separate competitions. It's not unequal in the context of tennis if they only play others of their gender. Even if that argument worked it suggests men should be paid more as the product will be better.

As for overheads. Tough really. The overheads created increasing the women's pay were met. Overheads occur in doing things that are morally necessary sometimes.

Because you're expecting men and women to do the same physically when they're not the same physically. I'm sure some women would be capable of doing it but its just not realistic at all.

Because you're expecting men and women to do the same physically when they're not the same physically. I'm sure some women would be capable of doing it but its just not realistic at all.

Nah, they can't hit as hard, but they should manage the endurance, as in any other sport. I'm not expecting the same.

If they had to then women could do 5 sets to pretty much the same level as men.

Just look at phsyical events like the Marathon, where the world records are 2hrs 3 minutes, to 2 hrs 15 minutes.

There is a difference physically of course, but not to the level that they couldn't do it if they put in the work.

If they had to then women could do 5 sets to pretty much the same level as men.

Just look at phsyical events like the Marathon, where the world records are 2hrs 3 minutes, to 2 hrs 15 minutes.

There is a difference physically of course, but not to the level that they couldn't do it if they put in the work.

Those are trained long distance runners though, these women are very fit athletes but the quality would be drastically worse and the younger girls especially just wouldn't be able to at all. I'm sure it could be done but I just don't think anyone wants to see it. There's more talk of reducing the men's game to best of three rather than five.

Those are trained long distance runners though, these women are very fit athletes but the quality would be drastically worse and the younger girls especially just wouldn't be able to at all. I'm sure it could be done but I just don't think anyone wants to see it. There's more talk of reducing the men's game to best of three rather than five.

That would be a fair solution. Don't like it, but it would be fair.

Then the women would have to become more athletic like the men. Half the women on the tour don't even look athletic at all.

Of course currently if they suddenly went to 5 sets they would struggle. But with the proper fitness work they would adapt and the quality later in matches wouldn't dip that much more than the men's.

It happened though. Nobody said it would be easy. Chuck everything that we can't do in a day should we?

So how slow and difficult was it introducing equal money?

Actually, IbroxBear54 did, which is why I was replying to him.

That would be a fair solution. Don't like it, but it would be fair.

What would be fair about it? Are the men complaining about playing five? Is it an issue of the women doing less for their money? That seems to be the usual argument, and its plainly bollocks. They are given prize money, not a wage. They are not paid by the hour. If they were, Federer would have had to have been paid an awful lot less for his dismantling of Hanescu in a "best of five" match than most of the women during this Wimbledon should have been for their best of three matches. They are rewarded for reaching a certain round of the tournament, not for "work done". If they reach the same round as the men, they get the same prize money. The argument about whether or not their product is deserving of such a reward is nonsense. If the money is there, because the organisations are making it, then it should be making its way into the hands of the athletes who bring the money in. Would you really rather that a new campari bar gets opened at SW19 than some Uzbek qualifier gets enough money to catch her flight home after being knocked out in the first round?