Boris Pandza

Rangers are close to completing the signing of Boris Pandza after the defender was released by the Belgian club Mechelen.

The Bosnian – who has been capped 22 times by his national side – has held talks over a move to Ibrox, having reportedly been recommended to the club by their former defender, Sasa Papac.

The 26-year-old spent three years with Mechelen but six months were endured from the sidelines following a cruciate knee ligament injury which put an end to discussions over a lucrative transfer to the Ukrainian club Arsenal Kiev last year. His return to fitness coincided with negotiations relating to an extended contract at Mechelen, only for the club to opt against offering a new deal.

"We had talked a few months ago, but no agreement was reached," said Pandza. "Then I heard nothing more from the board. That disappointed me a little – they could have told me. There is a big chance that I will leave Belgium. I can't say which clubs, but it will be bigger than Mechelen, for sure."

Rangers are intent on adding a central defender to the squad despite making seven signings already this summer, with Pandza considered to be an ideal fit. The former Hajduk Split player has also sought to assuage any concerns over his fitness.

"I believe my knee is now 50% stronger than it was before the injury," he said. "It cost me a move to Ukraine but, in the long term, the treatment will benefit me."

coming back from a cruciate ligament injury. Belgian club have decided not to extend his contract even though he was playing well before his injury and lined up for a big money move to the Ukraine

too risky ?

He met up with countryman Papac and the ex-Ibrox man had nothing but good things to say about the club he played for over the course of six seasons from 2006.

Pandza said: “I know all about Rangers from talking with Sasa. We played together with Bosnia and he’s a friend as we both come from Mostar.

“He always talks very positively about Rangers and I know from him that they’re the biggest club in Scotland – one of the biggest in Britain.

“Of course, moving to Scotland would be an attraction. I’ve heard nothing but good things from Sasa and he’s someone whose opinion I trust.

“I know Rangers have had problems, but in a normal season they’re the top and compete at the top level in Europe.

But...

“For now, I can say with complete truth that I’ve spoken to no-one at Rangers and there’s nothing concrete for me to consider. If it does come, it’s something I’d look at.

“My next move is very important. I have options but nothing is settled

“I want to play for Bosnia at the World Cup Finals and, because of that, my next club has to be right. We’ll need to wait and see what happens with Rangers.”

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/411729/Rangers-set-for-Boris-Pandza-arrival

If he is in about the national squad I just can't see him willing to drop down to SFL 2.....he may be top class, but I just feel CB is the one position where you don't want to take a risk! I'd prefer to see us go for a British player (or with experience of the Scottish game) at the moment! I think in the forward areas you can afford to be more creative with signings but communication is so key at the back and we saw the (a lack of) problems that can cause last year!