Match Report from the Sheffield Star

I don't want to forget this day :D

Rangers fans brought Scottish fervour to Hillsborough last night and refused to be subdued by their team’s first defeat in six pre-season games.

Almost 5,000 away fans kept up an incredible barrage of noise even though Wednesday gave a sound performance and won 1-0 with an early goal from Michail Antonio.

Owls fans in a crowd of more than 16,000 enjoyed themselves too on an occasion that was no ordinary friendly.

Boisterous Rangers fans could be seen in the streets and outside pubs in the Hillsborough area and city centre long before the game.

A nd inside the ground the atmosphere became more like that of a cup-tie, with away fans filling the upper and lower West Stand and making themselves heard.

They were also allowed to stretch flags across seats in the empty north-west corner, plus a big one in the middle of the near-empty North Stand.

Blue and red smoke arose from the away end as the teams were read out - and some boos greeted the announcement of ex-Rangers midfield player Rhys McCabe in the Wednesday side, on his 21st birthday

Owls fans, who were in the Kop and the South Stand, added their voices to the din and were almost cheering a goal inside two minutes, with Gary Madine missing the target with headers in front of the Kop.

The crosses came from Joe Mattock and Michail Antonio, who was on the right wing as Jermaine Johnson partnered Madine up front.

Antonio struck in the 12th minute and became the first man to score against Rangers in their first six friendlies.

A Mattock right-side corner was helped on at the near post; Antonio mis-hit his shot downwards, the ball bounced up, then dipped and clipped the underside of the bar on its way to the net.

Wednesday defended soundly against whatever balls were played into their box in the first half,.

Trialist centre half Kamil Zayatte looked strong and capable on the right side of captain Martin Taylor.

Rangers tried to make progress patiently, but Wednesday threatened through the pace of Jeremy Helan, Johnson and Antonio.

It was an incisive move when Liam Palmer, again looking assured at right back, found the overlapping

Antonio and his low cross was kept away from Madine at the near post by fine defending from Rangers right back Sebastian Faure.

Chris Kirkland was replaced by Adam Davies in only the 31st minute for a reason that was not obvious.

There seemed to be mutual respect and no antagonism between the rival sets of fans.

A banner saying ‘drummer Lee Rigby - lest we forget’ was passed from the away end to Owls fans who were at the bottom corner of the South Stand.

The tribute to the murdered soldier was also applauded when it was paraded around the pitch at half time.

Antonio was looking for first blood in the second half with a powerful shot to the near post that was held by Gallacher in the 55th minute.

By then Antonio had been switched to the left, with Helan taken off and Chris Maguire coming on to the right flank.

When ex-Sheffield United and Millers midfielder Nicky |Law dragged the ball across goal from a narow angle, it was Rangers’ first half-chance of the game.

Law set up striker Andrew Little for a better opportunity but Davies caught the ball cleanly.

Little also turned cleverly past Taylor and fired a good chance wide.

Madine volleyed a difficult opening over the bar from a fiercely struck ball by Maguire.

Again Rangers should have scored: unmarked sub Nicky Clark shot wide.

Paul Corry’s introduction on the left side of the Owls midfield meant Johnson going off and Antonio switching back up front.

A fine long-range strike by Lewis Macleod was beaten away by Davies and Bilel Mohsni missed from close range from the rebound but was offside anyway.

Probably no-one would have begrudged Rangers a draw - and their fans certainly made a big impression - not least with a big chorus of God Save the Queen which was applauded by home supporters near the end

And applause for the players came from all areas of the ground after the final whistle.

Great to see how things are reported from outwith our agenda driven little cesspit.....fans were amazing!

I think at times you forget just how great a support we have. Due to my own football and admittedly laziness I don't go to many away games anymore and haven't had an away trip in Europe since Valencia. Unfortunatly for a variety of reasons Ibrox really does lack for atmosphere at times and living so close I don't get the chance to mingle with as many fans as you do when away. Yesterday I drank with lads from East Kilbride, scarva and Chester to name but a few....loved it and it really does reinvigorate you. WATP!

Yeeeaaah but how did we actually playyyyyyy?

I know there's a huge thread on it but I'm at work and can't trawl through it currently

First half there was alot of the same issues as last year....very slow and laboured on possession with very little movement. Defensively we looked painfully slow and jig/cribari as a partnership is pretty brutal. Faure tried hard but looked out of his depth.. Black was very poor IMO. Law and Macleod grew into the game and showed alot of energy, especially law. Second half was much improved and we created some really good chances. Moshini made an imediate big difference defensively and we looked far more vibrant and energetic as the match progressed. All in all could argue we deserved a draw. Wednesday have a few very quick players but we do look like we are still missing some natural pace throughout the team. Fans were amazing throughout and all in all it was a good workout....hope the summary helps mate, just my opinion obviously, and bearing in mind I was half canned its open to debate!

First half there was alot of the same issues as last year....very slow and laboured on possession with very little movement. Defensively we looked painfully slow and jig/cribari as a partnership is pretty brutal. Faure tried hard but looked out of his depth.. Black was very poor IMO. Law and Macleod grew into the game and showed alot of energy, especially law. Second half was much improved and we created some really good chances. Moshini made an imediate big difference defensively and we looked far more vibrant and energetic as the match progressed. All in all could argue we deserved a draw. Wednesday have a few very quick players but we do look like we are still missing some natural pace throughout the team. Fans were amazing throughout and all in all it was a good workout....hope the summary helps mate, just my opinion obviously, and bearing in mind I was half canned its open to debate!

Yet everyone of the players have said they have never been fitter than under this great trainer.

A little concerning but that's what pre season is about, to see what needs fixed and then acting upon it.

Sure hope we do so.