Formula One

and it's a Red Bull lock out.

Getting bored with F1. There are 3-4 top drivers, and another 4-5 very good drivers in that field, but the Red Bull is just so dominant only one ever wins.

For Vettel, it's crazy to think somebody who has won what he has won these last 4yrs, might not even be the best driver on the grid. Then again if say Damon Hill, a very good but never elite driver, had the #1 seat at Williams for a few more seasons he probably would of been a 2-3-4 time world champion. Is Vettel that good, or is he merely an very good driver who has found himself in the right team at the right time? Maybe even a bit of both?

Problem with Vettel, is despite what he's won, he almost never seems able to wrestle the best out of a car that isn't the best on the grid. For somebody that has won so much, he has very few memorable/amazing drives to his credit.

Virtually all his wins follow the same formula. Start from the front row > push in clean air to get 4-5 seconds ahead > maintain the gap in clean air.

I totally agree, I don't think Vettel is the best driver and as you say he hasn't had many memorable drives. Alonso, Kimi and Hamilton can probs get the absolute maximum out of a car. I was happy for Webber getting pole for tomorrow though I guess. He's a top character and will be missed from F1. Di Resta put in a good lap as well. Hopefully he can actually finish the race for a change! :)

Predictions for tomorrow....

1) Vettel

2) Hamilton

3) Webber

So when vettel started from the pits, behind even last place and still managed to podium. That was all blind luck right?

If vettel was so poor then he wouldn't consistently outpace and outqualify his team mate.

Lets face it, in F1 there isn't much difference between the top 4 drivers but to claim vettels achivements are forgettable when people laud schumacher for winning in an era when the ferraris were consistently 1,2ing miles ahead of everyone else is just retarded

No doubt Vettel is a good driver but that Red Bull is surely the main reason why. Put him in a Mercedes or a Ferrari and would he still win the championship?.....

Its a valid point that Webber fails to make an impact in the same car but nobody really puts him up there with the top drivers. He and Di Resta were teammates in Formula 3 and Vettel lost out to him. Okay, its Formula 3, but still.

ps, It always seems to be Mark's car that has the reliability issues. Just throwing that out there..

Also the red bull hasn't been that much better than the other cars all of the time. I mean last year the mclaren was arguably the best car in the grid, but Red Bull managed to actually not fuck up every week like Mclaren were.

I think people are overreacting because they don't want to see the same driver dominating over and over but it was like that when ferrari dominating and the same with mclaren when mika hakkinen was winning DC's. I'm sorry but this is what formula one is, between the top teams and the top drivers there is very little give, normally it's whoever has one small edge over the other. It's to Vettel's and Red Bull's credit that he has managed to keep up this level of consistancy. Even in his first Drivers championship win it was very very close throughout the year.

Infact if there was ever a case of a mediocre driver winning because of a superior car then it was JB with his BGP 001 car which arguably he should have won even more races with

So if hamilton was also winning multiple DC's in that car would be also be saying he wasn't the best driver on the grid?

All we have to go on is speculation here and it seems some people have sour grapes because the drivers championship isn't competitive. Well I can't think of many years recently where it was down too the last race.

Infact the last one that was exciting and up for grabs was the first one vettel won, a drivers championship where he really did outdrive everyone else, including his team mate

Alonso, Hamilton and Raikonnen are better drivers than Seb.

You win because you do things right though, not because of luck. He might not be the most spectacular, he might not start from back of the grid and have to work his way on to pole every race: but it's to his credit that he doesn't have to.

His overwhelming consistency is his main strength and that can't be something he's faulted over. There'll be mistakes along the way by Lewis, Fernando and Kimi that Seb just won't make or allow his team to make. He's incredible at what he does: and that is win races.

What annoys me in f1 is these stern, growly folk who hold the little recorders during interviews. Usually dour middle aged women,( other than buttons stern, growly man).

Agree that Alonso is the best on the grid, Ferrari just don't seem able to put a quick car under him.

Would like to see di resta get a good drive next year but the last 4/5 races have been too inconsistent and rough.

Quick word for sky's coverage as well.

Just watching Senna, and to think that statistically vettel is a better driver than this genius, is wrong, vettel will pass the likes of Jim Clark ( who I'm named after) Prost, Moss, Stewart, Hunt, Fangio etc for statistics/wins/laps lead etc. Technically he (vettel)is a very good driver lap by lap, more robotic than instinctual, not a racer as such, but a hugely likable chap.

Senna, the movie, is amazing. Emphasises how sanitised f1 is these days. Safer but more restricted.

Just watching Senna, and to think that statistically vettel is a better driver than this genius, is wrong, vettel will pass the likes of Jim Clark ( who I'm named after) Prost, Moss, Stewart, Hunt, Fangio etc for statistics/wins/laps lead etc. Technically he (vettel)is a very good driver lap by lap, more robotic than instinctual, not a racer as such, but a hugely likable chap.

Senna, the movie, is amazing. Emphasises how sanitised f1 is these days. Safer but more restricted.

Not really. Senna had a genuinely competitive car for, what, four of his ten years in Formula One? And he still had more wins and more poles, and all while up against far, far greater rivals.

Vettel has more championships. That's it. And that's only because Senna was cheated out of one.

It's nice to see Grosjean appears to finally knuckling down and putting in some decent races now. Yeah he still has the odd flash of stupid moments but he's calmed down a lot recently and hopefully can push on for next season.

Lotus will more than likely support Romain as the number one driver as he's certainly liked by the team.

• 3 weeks later...

Massa to replace Maldonado at Williams next season.

Great move from Williams as Maldonado does not deserve to be in Formula 1.

It's all about sponsorship. Maldonado attracts some of the highest.

Edit: Infact just looked and he attracts the highest sponsorship :lol: