Favourite Loyalist Songs

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many Rangers fans like me - who love Rangers for what they are and need no add ons to justify supporting the club where a section of our support seem to need to latch on to other shit to prop up their support !

If there are many then I am happy for every single one of you and with that in mind i would like to dedicate this next song to you and your happy ( clappy ) wee collection of " fans "

All together now, The cry was.........................

I did but ill comment if I want - and this pish has fk all to do with Rangers

hmmmm not so sure about that mate, perhaps a quick poll amongst the Rangers fans in below video might give you a few pointers tho about how the fans feel about your comment

(tu)

I, along with virtually every other member of this forum, utterly condemn the rhats for their pro IRA songs.

So why this thread????

IRa songs are about supporting child murdering terrorists.

Many of the songs mentioned here --- the Sash, Derrys Walls, Englishman's Betrayal and even Dalys Braes have nothing to do with terrorism so please do not conflate the issues.

Sang all of these songs when I was young. Less likely to join in now cause I'm getting too fukkin old.

Nope - asked a straight question - gve a straight answer - and this shite still has fk all to do with Rangers.

1888 a club in Glasgow following the footsteps of Hibernian FC in Edinburgh (1875) was established for Irish Catholics. Two teams in Scotland's two major cities created for one ethnic and religious group. Not unlike the religious school system oresently operating in Scotland it caused not unity but division.

As a result of the creation of these two clubs coupled with underlying social-economic climate of the day many working class Scots, mostly Protestant, felt their culture, identity and jobs were under threat. Many Scots were aware of the Fenian uprisings in places such as Canada (1866-1874) and feared similar would happen in Scotland.

The country witnessed an upsurge in membership of the Orange Order and many Protestant Scots football fans aligned themselves with The Rangers Football Club. Like it or not a connection between religion and football had been borne. In Glasgow, an already growing ethnic and religious divide was widened by each side trying to further their own ideologies.

For decades the two clubs and fans existed alongside each other one team essentially Catholic the other Protestant. One set of fans would be railing against the Queen, the other Kicking the Pope.

Suddenly in the 1970's trouble erupted in Northern Ireland and both sets of fans became more polarized than ever and tribalism took over. Catholic versus Protestant was transformed into Loyalist versus Republican. As the 'troubles' escalated, so the animosity increased as did the introduction of more hard-line views and accompanying songs.

Not every person singing these songs subscribes to the ideology of groups such as the UVVF, UFF, UDA etc. People feel affiliated to the songs rather than to the groups they are singing about. Perhaps it relates to the old adage 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'.

These songs for better or worse have become ingrained in the history of football in Scotland. It is all part of the inherent tribalism that accompanies football globally and I do not believe they will vanish overnight. Perhaps one-day but not in our lifetime I suspect.

Anything to do with Rangers, you ask? Logically no, historically YES.

So BP9 and others make a wee bit room for tribalism in your life, in between criticizing other posters on RM or sending tweets or 'following' your fav tweeter. Join in the tribal rituals, you may enjoy yourself. If not then just ignore what you do not agree with.

1888 a club in Glasgow following the footsteps of Hibernian FC in Edinburgh (1875) was established for Irish Catholics. Two teams in Scotland's two major cities created for one ethnic and religious group. Not unlike the religious school system oresently operating in Scotland it caused not unity but division.

As a result of the creation of these two clubs coupled with underlying social-economic climate of the day many working class Scots, mostly Protestant, felt their culture, identity and jobs were under threat. Many Scots were aware of the Fenian uprisings in places such as Canada (1866-1874) and feared similar would happen in Scotland.

The country witnessed an upsurge in membership of the Orange Order and many Protestant Scots football fans aligned themselves with The Rangers Football Club. Like it or not a connection between religion and football had been borne. In Glasgow, an already growing ethnic and religious divide was widened by each side trying to further their own ideologies.

For decades the two clubs and fans existed alongside each other one team essentially Catholic the other Protestant. One set of fans would be railing against the Queen, the other Kicking the Pope.

Suddenly in the 1970's trouble erupted in Northern Ireland and both sets of fans became more polarized than ever and tribalism took over. Catholic versus Protestant was transformed into Loyalist versus Republican. As the 'troubles' escalated, so the animosity increased as did the introduction of more hard-line views and accompanying songs.

Not every person singing these songs subscribes to the ideology of groups such as the UVVF, UFF, UDA etc. People feel affiliated to the songs rather than to the groups they are singing about. Perhaps it relates to the old adage 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'.

These songs for better or worse have become ingrained in the history of football in Scotland. It is all part of the inherent tribalism that accompanies football globally and I do not believe they will vanish overnight. Perhaps one-day but not in our lifetime I suspect.

Anything to do with Rangers, you ask? Logically no, historically YES.

So BP9 and others make a wee bit room for tribalism in your life, in between criticizing other posters on RM or sending tweets or 'following' your fav tweeter. Join in the tribal rituals, you may enjoy yourself. If not then just ignore what you do not agree with.

See if you don't agree with me you can ignore me - meanwhile I will voice an opinion on this matter. I give not a jot what your politics or religion is - those are your choices - however it is my opinion that Rangers would be better off without them,.

And since we are giving out mutual advice - try supporting Rangers without the addition of politics or religion - it's also a whole lot of fun- and then you are supporting the club just purely or the live of the team and not with any associated baggage!

As someone Who doesnt post much but follows rm everyday i think Sometimes we try to make all rangers supporters the same in their views,diversity is important in any community but i think that some try to bully others into their opinions.

Back to the post -the majority of rangers fans are protestant/loyalist so we should be happy to accept their choice of favourite loyalist tune ,we are all different but share a love of rangers accept it !!

My favourite tunes- hands across the water and the night we burned ardoyne !

See if you don't agree with me you can ignore me - meanwhile I will voice an opinion on this matter. I give not a jot what your politics or religion is - those are your choices - however it is my opinion that Rangers would be better off without them,.

And since we are giving out mutual advice - try supporting Rangers without the addition of politics or religion - it's also a whole lot of fun- and then you are supporting the club just purely or the live of the team and not with any associated baggage!

Ignore you??? you posted a question on a public forum to which I responded without either grievance or malice. I have no problems in you voicing an opinion but if you don't want people answering your emails, then do not ask questions.

What you call baggage, many call history a point which at the moment we appear unable to reconcile hence my comment about ignoring the songs you do not like rather than trying to change the opinions of others.

Anyhow hope you enjoy the game today.

Would you not be better over in lovey dovey Firhill, It must be very uncomfortable for you among us religious bigots?

Would you not be better over in lovey dovey Firhill, It must be very uncomfortable for you among us religious bigots?

Nope my love of rangers transcends other peoples need to prop up there feelings for the club with their politics or religion.

Not a 'loyalist' myself but really don't see why BP9 makes such a big deal of this as it's pretty clear that lots of Rangers fans are into this and it is somehow connected to the club. Just ignore these threads if all you're going to do is complain and whinge about it.

Not a 'loyalist' myself but really don't see why BP9 makes such a big deal of this as it's pretty clear that lots of Rangers fans are into this and it is somehow connected to the club. Just ignore these threads if all you're going to do is complain and whinge about it.

I think he does it just for the attention.

I have to admit im not as clued up on some of the Loyalist songs as others, i do like them but they are not as familar to me as Rangers songs like Follow Follow, Every Other Saturday, Blue Sea of Ibrox ect. Im assuming Derrys Walls is classed as a Loyalist song and TFS certainly sounds like it so id pick those as my favourites :