NBA 2013-14 Thread

JamieD

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=11006068&city=losangeles&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2F4Buvu3R4YN%22%7D

An argument put forward by a blogger that the Clippers should relocate and rebrand. Persuasive argument put forward IMO, they've been in the Lakers shadow for a long time and often seen as our 'little brothers'. Kansas, Pittsburgh, Seattle just a few of the big cities in the US without a team.

LA is such a huge market that whoever relocates the Clippers would be taking a huge loss. They've sold out just about every game and are in the biggest basketball city bar NYC.

No chance they relocate.

They have a 9 year lease at the staple centre

Brooks didn't trust the OKC bench and by the time they got to OT, players were exhausted. Think Durant missed 3 out of 4 FG attempts in OT and Westbrook missed a couple top.

Tim Duncan though. What a performance at the end of that game. Unreal.

Bye Derek Fisher :(. 5 time NBA Champ, will always be remembered for that buzzer beater against the Spurs in Game 5 of the Semis in '04 for the Lakers.

Why not ? they're by far the best team in the NBA and i want them to pump the Spurs after knocking us out.

Because they're a team where two franchise players in their own right, including the reigning MVP, left their own teams in order to band together with a proven winner so they could win a championship. It's like if Jordan and Charles Barkley had joined the Pistons in 1990. Basically an admission of not having what it takes.

The Spurs' starting line-up are all draft picks, three of whom have been there for over a decade, and they've had the same coach since 1996. They're sporting success done properly.

Because they're a team where two franchise players in their own right, including the reigning MVP, left their own teams in order to band together with a proven winner so they could win a championship. It's like if Jordan and Charles Barkley had joined the Pistons in 1990. Basically an admission of not having what it takes.

The Spurs' starting line-up are all draft picks, three of whom have been there for over a decade, and they've had the same coach since 1996. They're sporting success done properly.

How can you say they left to join a proven winner? He had only won once in about 8 years. And that was after Shaquille O'neal went to Miami to help him. Hardly anyone wins a championship on their own. Jordan had Pippen, Kobe had Shaq and then Pau gasol and there was the big three at Boston and the Spurs. Lebron, Bosh and Wade came together to give themselves the best chance of winning a title. Also taking less money to do it.

Spurs just play brilliant team basketball. Kwai Leonard yanked on Ibaka, didn't grab his baws,scream in his face, make funky hand gestures, point at the crowd,just got back and played d.they don't moan about playing time and pop will rip Duncan the same way he rips Corey Joseph

How can you say they left to join a proven winner? He had only won once in about 8 years. And that was after Shaquille O'neal went to Miami to help him. Hardly anyone wins a championship on their own. Jordan had Pippen, Kobe had Shaq and then Pau gasol and there was the big three at Boston and the Spurs. Lebron, Bosh and Wade came together to give themselves the best chance of winning a title. Also taking less money to do it.

Because one championship is one more than no championships. Wade was a winner, simple. I didn't say anybody wins one on their own. There's a difference between a guy coming to your team and helping you to win and you, as a supposed alpha dog, going to the other guy's team in order to win. On the one level, it's great that LeBron was able to put personal glory to one side in order to do what he got into the game to do - win - but on the other hand, he's a guy who makes a point of claiming he'll retire as one of the top four players to ever play the game. The simple fact is that if he had been able to do what Dirk Nowitzki did, he would have cemented his legacy a lot better.

Jordan and Pippen were both drafted to the Bulls and put in years before they won championships. Kobe was fresh out of school when Shaq joined the Lakers. Wade was only in his second season when Shaq joined him in Miami. It wasn't a superstar teaming up with another superstar. The Heat brought two guys who were the stars of their team, in their prime, to join their own star who had led them to a championship. There's nothing wrong with it, if you can do it then you do it, but it's hardly surprising that when a ready-made superteam starts to dominate, people would prefer to root for another team.

The point that they took a wage cut is always brought up. Do you think they didn't make that back tenfold through increased endorsements etc?

Because one championship is one more than no championships. Wade was a winner, simple. I didn't say anybody wins one on their own. There's a difference between a guy coming to your team and helping you to win and you, as a supposed alpha dog, going to the other guy's team in order to win. On the one level, it's great that LeBron was able to put personal glory to one side in order to do what he got into the game to do - win - but on the other hand, he's a guy who makes a point of claiming he'll retire as one of the top four players to ever play the game. The simple fact is that if he had been able to do what Dirk Nowitzki did, he would have cemented his legacy a lot better.

Jordan and Pippen were both drafted to the Bulls and put in years before they won championships. Kobe was fresh out of school when Shaq joined the Lakers. Wade was only in his second season when Shaq joined him in Miami. It wasn't a superstar teaming up with another superstar. The Heat brought two guys who were the stars of their team, in their prime, to join their own star who had led them to a championship. There's nothing wrong with it, if you can do it then you do it, but it's hardly surprising that when a ready-made superteam starts to dominate, people would prefer to root for another team.

The point that they took a wage cut is always brought up. Do you think they didn't make that back tenfold through increased endorsements etc?

When you say going to their team in order to win, it makes it sound like Miami were already winning. Miami hadn't won for 5 or 6 years and Wade may not have won another ring. So Lebron going could be described as going to help Wade win.

This isn't having a go but do you think Lebron honestly would've been thought of better if he stayed? How many rings do you think he would've won if he'd been like Nowitzki? I think his legacy will be better the more rings he wins whether it be in Miami or anywhere else. Especially if he plays a major role in winning.

It's true that they may have made it back but then why doesn't everyone do that? Kobe just signed a $48 million dollar two year deal at the end of his career. If he'd taken less, they could've signed another max player and had a better chance of winning. Carmelo Anthony might stay in New York because he earns an extra $30 million but it's obvious if he wants to win now, he needs to move.

When you say going to their team in order to win, it makes it sound like Miami were already winning. Miami hadn't won for 5 or 6 years and Wade may not have won another ring. So Lebron going could be described as going to help Wade win.

This isn't having a go but do you think Lebron honestly would've been thought of better if he stayed? How many rings do you think he would've won if he'd been like Nowitzki? I think his legacy will be better the more rings he wins whether it be in Miami or anywhere else. Especially if he plays a major role in winning.

It's true that they may have made it back but then why doesn't everyone do that? Kobe just signed a $48 million dollar two year deal at the end of his career. If he'd taken less, they could've signed another max player and had a better chance of winning. Carmelo Anthony might stay in New York because he earns an extra $30 million but it's obvious if he wants to win now, he needs to move.

No, of course I don't mean the Heat were already winning, but it's pretty obvious that a team in the East with the best player in the world AND a versatile elite power forward/centre AND an elite shooting guard who has already led the team to a championship were going to be making and probably winning multiple finals as soon as they gelled.

And yeah, I think if LeBron had won even just one championship at Cleveland as The Man (and then even possibly moved on elsewhere and won more) then he would be more highly thought of and certainly more respected. I don't think rings are enough, in a discussion where it's going to be virtually impossible to end up in the top bracket in that regard. HOW the rings were won is going to matter a lot.

I mean, I didn't even mean to start off criticising the individuals, I don't BLAME LeBron and certainly not Bosh, I was just explaining why I find it much more natural to root for the likes of the Spurs than the Heat.

No, of course I don't mean the Heat were already winning, but it's pretty obvious that a team in the East with the best player in the world AND a versatile elite power forward/centre AND an elite shooting guard who has already led the team to a championship were going to be making and probably winning multiple finals as soon as they gelled.

And yeah, I think if LeBron had won even just one championship at Cleveland as The Man (and then even possibly moved on elsewhere and won more) then he would be more highly thought of and certainly more respected. I don't think rings are enough, in a discussion where it's going to be virtually impossible to end up in the top bracket in that regard. HOW the rings were won is going to matter a lot.

I mean, I didn't even mean to start off criticising the individuals, I don't BLAME LeBron and certainly not Bosh, I was just explaining why I find it much more natural to root for the likes of the Spurs than the Heat.

Yeah and it wasn't as easy as to gel. There's the story about when they opened 9-8 and Wade said to Lebron that he would take a step back as Lebron needed to be the main guy.