Ally McCoist admits summer signing spree unintentionally increased Ibrox finance

Bothwellbear

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? After everything the club has been through the manager had no cause to fully ascertain the financial picture before going on his spending spree? Maybe he wasn't permitted. Interestingly though he makes reference to not really wanting to know, to being happy with fag box maths.

So Ally the true Rangers man on the inside protecting us from spivs blah blah had no interest in the finances, just the spending.

And yes he should look to have improved his squad, not just increase it. Within budget, reducing payroll, and with players with potential to develop and sell on at profit. Not Foster, Smith and Simonsen.

Really. He is not a financial accountant, he was not privy to the bank balance, and he shouldn't be. He did his work within budget (and may well have reduced payroll although I have no idea why he would do that unless asked/told).

Criticising the actual signings enters into a perfectly valid debate, but there is no reason he should be expected to question his budget. Surely the responsibility for that has to be with the CEOs?

Really. He is not a financial accountant, he was not privy to the bank balance, and he shouldn't be. He did his work within budget (and may well have reduced payroll although I have no idea why he would do that unless asked/told).

Criticising the actual signings enters into a perfectly valid debate, but there is no reason he should be expected to question his budget. Surely the responsibility for that has to be with the CEOs?

Spot on, and I think that's what most are trying to say. The board had no long term plan neither did McCoist. Shambles from top to bottom but his signing policy has been questionable from day1. I know he's just been flavour of the month recently but perhaps we should've been more interested in players like Robertson than Smith? If he had signed the former and at the press conference said he'd impressed last season and we hope to develop him further here, we'd have all thought "good move". Did we think that when Smith signed? The problem is, I think Ally is incapable of developing players in any way, hence he needs tried and trusted has-beens.

To criticise him on budgets is unfair but he keeps bringing himself into debates like this because of his quotes and deflection, he is partly to blame, the board is partly to blame.

Another of Alistairs quotes concerning signings;

He said: “We have a list the length of anybody’s arm and have them prioritised. There’s absolutely no point in me sitting here telling you we’re going to do if I don’t have the say in what players are coming in.

“I certainly won’t be Rangers manager next year playing someone else’s players, that’s for sure. I will not be signing any player myself and my staff don’t want.”

That part he is barely obtaining a pass grade

Kyle

Sandaza

Foster

Smith

Cribari

Argyriou

Simonsen

Theres 7 complete waste of money players there

Which is a reasonable debate to have, but what is not reasonable is people who want to point the finger at him for apparent financial mismanagement of the club.

What Alistair said about spending;

He said: “I have to spend to get out of whichever division we’re in and keep me, Ian Durrant and Kenny McDowall – as well as the rest of the staff – in a job.

“If we don’t then we won’t be in work.”

Of everything i have read from Ally, that is one of the worst quotes so far. :drugang:

And is the board not in the process of sorting it out, they don't need ally to keep passing the buck every time he pulled up about finances, a simple reply would be is it ain't my department. But remember ally still spent the money thinking of only short term, that to me is a sign he world about his ability to put excellent displays on the park. Now remember ally said judge me on my new signings and how they perform, well they have performed badly this season, yeah we scored a lot of goals and won all league games apart from one, but that is down to the quality of opposition.

thats a bit unfair , we have played decent football at times , along with some awful ones , what i do know was a vast improvement on last year

why dont you ask Motherwell Aberdeen and the scum about the standard of our opposition they all struggled to do what we are doing

He said: “We have a list the length of anybody’s arm and have them prioritised. There’s absolutely no point in me sitting here telling you we’re going to do if I don’t have the say in what players are coming in.

“I certainly won’t be Rangers manager next year playing someone else’s players, that’s for sure. I will not be signing any player myself and my staff don’t want.”

that was in reference to the players brought in outwith Allys targets , when they turned up training , mr Greens network of scouts

Of everything i have read from Ally, that is one of the worst quotes so far. :drugang:

Have another;

McCoist said: “It’s my job to get the best team I possibly can on the park for the fans in an effort to win the league and any other competition we are in.

“It’s the board’s job to keep an eye on the finances. Obviously I am part of that in the respect they give me budgets to do so.”

Seems like a dig at your best mate for bringing in a couple of players that weren't his choice.

Ally was given a budget and he spent it- no blame there, i dont have an issue with that. I do have an issue with some of the players ally bought though.

Great point if the board said the wage levels were fine than that was their fuck up but Allys fuck up was bringing in the Fosters, Smiths and Simonsens who were not needed. Both are to blame in different ways but Allys interviews and comments some of which are rehashed in this article and some of which seem new, suggest he may be working his ticket out of Ibrox as he seems determined to awnser certain questions about finance but not others as the article says hes quoted as saying " you'd have to ask Graham about that" for many questions. Why cant that just be McCoists defalt awnser to all financial questions? My guess is hes given the awnsers he thinks might give him an escape route.

Don`t blame Ally except for the signing of Smith.Seemed like spending for the sake of it or just to get the squad numbers up.Thought he would be a good player first time at the club but really don`t see why he was signed,far too injury prone.

Seems like a dig at your best mate for bringing in a couple of players that weren't his choice.

More simply Alistair is stating he has the final say, as it should be. He would have that say after knowing what the player was taking out of his budget and knowing what we was left in his budget for other targets, but Alistair doesn't do finance does he .

thats a bit unfair , we have played decent football at times , along with some awful ones , what i do know was a vast improvement on last year

why dont you ask Motherwell Aberdeen and the scum about the standard of our opposition they all struggled to do what we are doing

The difference is that games for Motherwell and that is one off games, the only reason for the inprovement from last season is the amount that was spent on wages this season, we could have got by with mohsni,law,Clark and probably bell. There was no need for the others as we had capable players to play in the other positions, then the money spent could have gone on his budget in the summer. The performances have been ok but as the season has progressed we have lost momentum and the motivation has gone. Whose job is it to motivate the players, now if we lose tomorrow at Forfar who will be at fault

The difference is that games for Motherwell and that is one off games, the only reason for the inprovement from last season is the amount that was spent on wages this season, we could have got by with mohsni,law,Clark and probably bell. There was no need for the others as we had capable players to play in the other positions, then the money spent could have gone on his budget in the summer. The performances have been ok but as the season has progressed we have lost momentum and the motivation has gone. Whose job is it to motivate the players, now if we lose tomorrow at Forfar who will be at fault

sorry but making excuses for Motherwell and no excuses for Rangers ...listen to yourself

how about Aberdeen getting kicked out the cups 3 years out of 4 by SFL teams ..all one off games as well ..simple matter is the small club will sometimes raise their game and punch above their weight scum barcelona ?

we have only dropped 2 points all season , cant really argue with results by any standards this is impressive , , but we have to improve performances back to what we had at the start of the season

I read as far as the sinking ship, it's been quiet for weeks on RM, now all the usual suspects are back in force, doom and gloom merchants. Rangers never sank 18 months ago and they won't. We all should know it wouldn't be a cake walk and we will all have to get used to the fact that the next couple of years are going to be tough, with tough decisions to be made, learn to live with it and get behind the club ffs

sorry but making excuses for Motherwell and no excuses for Rangers ...listen to yourself

how about Aberdeen getting kicked out the cups 3 years out of 4 by SFL teams ..all one off games as well ..simple matter is the small club will sometimes raise their game and punch above their weight scum barcelona ?

we have only dropped 2 points all season , cant really argue with results by any standards this is impressive , , but we have to improve performances back to what we had at the start of the season

Ain't making excuses, who is at fault for under performing, and lack of motivation, if we lose tomorrow at Forfar who or what do you think will be excuses

Ain't making excuses, who is at fault for under performing, and lack of motivation, if we lose tomorrow at Forfar who or what do you think will be excuses

Make no mistake about it. Win, lose or draw "this has been a real tough week for the boys. Its not nice hearing some of the things that have been discussed this week in relation to issues they cant influence off the park, but i thought they coped really really well considering. We are x points clear now and our fans were fantastic and really supportive of the boys as usual....."

Make no mistake about it. Win, lose or draw "this has been a real tough week for the boys. Its not nice hearing some of the things that have been discussed this week in relation to issues they cant influence off the park, but i thought they coped really really well considering. We are x points clear now and our fans were fantastic and really supportive of the boys as usual....."

That's what I was thinking would be the excuse, but did ally not say in his Q&A that the players are motivated, so he would be lying one way or the other in regards to this

not at all , if Ally cant improve performances improve signings then he should go ...you see thats the difference from me and you i have no agenda ... my only complaint is the club is a shambles from board room level down , and some will deflect it all down to ALLY call it spin if you like

Just how much time do we give him?

He threw away an 18 point lead in our last season in SPL and has shaped his team to play shite fitbaw and bore the arse of the fans playing against very low lever opposition for the last year and a half.

He has signed some really good players who were the cream of the SPL when they came to us (Temps, Law, Black, Shields, Bell, Wallace).

Most of them have gone backwards under Ally.

If Templeton was sold tomorrow we would lose money on what we paid for him. But I guarantee, he would step out with his new club and steal the show on a weekly basis. This is a guy who can hardly get a start from Ally.

He signed a few duds as well (Foster, Smith, Peralta) and has failed to improve them.

His constant underhand and sleekit sniping about the board does the club no favours at all.

It is holding us back and gives the enemy press huge headlines to attack us with.

It is becoming more obvious by the day that he is a supporter of the requisitioners, though he doesn't have the bottle to back them publicly.

We dont have all the time in world. When we hit the top league, we need to hit it running. Finishing 4th or 5th and getting thrashed by the scum 4 or 5 times in our first season back will do nothing but chase our fans away, and bring theirs back.

In my opinion, we need a new manager and assistants/coaches no later than the start of next season.

Big Eck would be my first approach.

So its previous CEOs at fault, not Ally, because Ally is only working to budget. No need to understand, question or even have an interest in the overall financial well being of the club. And here with a third CEO its the same approach. Admin 2? Dunno, ask the CEO. This may be acceptable at other clubs but not at ours where finances are so precarious. Blame previous CEOs but not seek proof for a third time when a risk situation has arisen. I find this staggering.

What it does show is that the true ranger aspect of Ally protecting us from within is a myth. He is a man who wants his wages for bringing in new players and picking a starting eleven. Not much more. Any other manager could do this, so there is no added benefit from him in particular being central for us.

Which again takes us to the players signed, and how we are set up football progression wise. And again lacking.

If this was us looking in at any other club we'd be pissing ourselves at the shambles.