Wenger Knowingly Signed an Injured Player

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger said he would not have signed midfielder Kim Kallstrom had he known about the Swede's back injury earlier.

Kallstrom, 31, joined the Gunners on loan from Spartak Moscow despite a scan showing he had damaged vertebrae and would be sidelined for six weeks.

His move was only confirmed a few hours before the transfer window shut.

"It crossed my mind to not do the deal," said Wenger, whose side are top of the Premier League table.

The Gunners say they only became aware of the problem when Kallstrom had a medical on the final day of the transfer window.

Wenger added: "I wouldn't have signed him if we had another two or three days, but it was on Friday at 5pm."

Kallstrom, who has played 108 times for Sweden, injured his back playing beach football while Spartak were warm-weather training in Abu Dhabi.

"We need to establish the real truth," added Wenger. "He arrived and had fallen on his back two days before."

On discovering the problem, Arsenal, who beat Crystal Palace 2-0 on Sunday to return to the top of the Premier League, came to an arrangement with Spartak.

"We accepted to share the costs, so they will pay him for the first six weeks of his wages," said Wenger.

"There's a possibility he will not play, but also a possibility he will score a vital winning goal."

Kallstrom, who is on loan until the end of the season, will briefly return to Sweden and Russia before moving to London and beginning treatment.

The Gunners face Liverpool twice, Manchester United, Bayern Munich and Sunderland in February.

Kallstrom, a former Lyon player, joins injured midfielders Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshere, plus the suspended Mathieu Flamini, on the sidelines

They can as I said there are more than 40 points to play for.

(tu)

that's the difference between fantasy and real life.. Either man city or the arsenal will win the league Chelsea are fighting man united for 4th.

No even the Chelsea team bus will be able to stop them losing at least 3 the night.. Let's see who employees 19th century tactics the night..

that's the difference between fantasy and real life.. Either man city or the arsenal will win the league Chelsea are fighting man united for 4th.

No even the Chelsea team bus will be able to stop them losing at least 3 the night.. Let's see who employees 19th century tactics the night..

:lol:

What? You do realise Arsenal have to play City again too don't you?

:lol:

What? You do realise Arsenal have to play City again too don't you?

by then arsenal will be safe in 2nd and fighting for 1st so no worries. Chelsea get beat tonight that's them out the race leaving the real teams to fight it out.

Anyway need tae get back tae work. I'll continue my defensive of arsenal later

Actually baffling.

I just don't get it tbh.

Why sign him if you know he's injured and theres a good chance he won't ever play any games for you?

To me this screams he was desperate to do 'something' in the window and the last desperate attempts to get Kalou ect didn't work so he felt he had no choice.

Seriously think that since Arsenal didny get anyone beforehand ,Arsene thought he had to show the fans that he signed an addition to the squad ,for the battle for the title .That's it , whether he plays or not .With the squad they have and the injured players coming back ,still in the title fight .

The thing is he has put incredible pressure on himself with this move if they fail to win the title IMO.

Fans will scream this was their best chance in years and they failed to do anything in January despite being in a strong position.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger said he would not have signed midfielder Kim Kallstrom had he known about the Swede's back injury earlier.

Kallstrom, 31, joined the Gunners on loan from Spartak Moscow despite a scan showing he had damaged vertebrae and would be sidelined for six weeks.

His move was only confirmed a few hours before the transfer window shut.

"It crossed my mind to not do the deal," said Wenger, whose side are top of the Premier League table.

The Gunners say they only became aware of the problem when Kallstrom had a medical on the final day of the transfer window.

Wenger added: "I wouldn't have signed him if we had another two or three days, but it was on Friday at 5pm."

Kallstrom, who has played 108 times for Sweden, injured his back playing beach football while Spartak were warm-weather training in Abu Dhabi.

"We need to establish the real truth," added Wenger. "He arrived and had fallen on his back two days before."

On discovering the problem, Arsenal, who beat Crystal Palace 2-0 on Sunday to return to the top of the Premier League, came to an arrangement with Spartak.

"We accepted to share the costs, so they will pay him for the first six weeks of his wages," said Wenger.

"There's a possibility he will not play, but also a possibility he will score a vital winning goal."

Kallstrom, who is on loan until the end of the season, will briefly return to Sweden and Russia before moving to London and beginning treatment.

The Gunners face Liverpool twice, Manchester United, Bayern Munich and Sunderland in February.

Kallstrom, a former Lyon player, joins injured midfielders Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshere, plus the suspended Mathieu Flamini, on the sidelines

Obsessed about the Arsenal.....getting a tad boring now

The thing is he has put incredible pressure on himself with this move if they fail to win the title IMO.

Fans will scream this was their best chance in years and they failed to do anything in January despite being in a strong position.

there is no pressure on him to win the league, the Arsenal are the underdogs. The presure is on the big spenders Chavsea and Man City...failure of either to win it will mean the chop for the manager at the end of the season