Gough and Rae back scheme to hand club's supporters power at Ibrox

North Rd

So king the altruistic hard headed business chap is going to finance the start off of this pipe dream, like let peeps who can't agree what day it is play monoply with south african rands....aye ok then... :rolleyes:

But you would have let Green/Mather\Stockbridge play monopoly with his S.A Rand?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so we've established that there are (some) clubs out there that have fan ownership and are successful. What model do they use for success? Are the successful ones doing something that the rest aren't? How is a fan owned Rangers going to generate vast sums of money apart from through membership fees? Will a fan owned Rangers be able to compete with a Dermot Desmond (or equivalent) backed Celtic?

It's a question that none of us can answer at the moment mate. Hopefully we can find out more about it in the coming months. We certainly have a big enough fanbase to create a sizeable amount of cash but we need to see more flesh on the bones of the proposals.

It's a question that none of us can answer at the moment mate. Hopefully we can find out more about it in the coming months. We certainly have a big enough fanbase to create a sizeable amount of cash but we need to see more flesh on the bones of the proposals.

Oh, I know the answers aren't there yet, and you're right with a fanbase our size we should (in theory) be able to do it. But is there the will to do it? If we do it, will there be any real benefit?

When I think of fan ownership in UK football I do not associate that with success. Perhaps we can change that?

OK, so we've established that there are (some) clubs out there that have fan ownership and are successful. What model do they use for success? Are the successful ones doing something that the rest aren't? How is a fan owned Rangers going to generate vast sums of money apart from through membership fees? Will a fan owned Rangers be able to compete with a Dermot Desmond (or equivalent) backed Celtic?

I think it needs to be a hybrid model and attractive to all sides, that why I have suggested this..

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=264855

I will hopefully get a chance to bring this up at fridays meeting .

I think it needs to be a hybrid model and attractive to all sides, that why I have suggested this..

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=264855

I will hopefully get a chance to bring this up at fridays meeting .

Is that the right link? It took me to the SFA building bridges thread.

King said: "The club was on the market last season under circumstances unrealistic in terms of expectation.

"The bank thought they were going to get this and that and then you had the fan plan.

"The fan plan was always rubbish, rubbish. We knew it was never going to happen but the bank liked it and certain people within the Murray Group were putting it forward.

"Fine, if the bank believed it was a panacea but I always suspected it would turn out to be nothing.

"Let's say the fans came in and owned the club and in a year's time we needed another £5million. What happens then? Do you put up prices? Ownership of the club is not a great thing for fans.

"We had vociferous fans making their point, which is their absolute right, but they represent only about seven per cent of the support."

I value the opinion of the Rangers fan who goes to the game much more than any ex player who has never paid to see Rangers in their life.

Some of these people have made millions out of Rangers,where were they when we needed them?

So Richard Gough can do with his opinion what Donald Duck does with his bill.

Stick it up his arse.

My understanding is that when the committee is set up that it will be all professional people involved and that they will be identified at a later date and will be independent of the people involved with setting up the scheme. If my information is correct then I feel you can't really argue with that.

Are you the guy that takes the microphone in the louden before games and try's to crack jokes?

My understanding is that when the committee is set up that it will be all professional people involved and that they will be identified at a later date and will be independent of the people involved with setting up the scheme. If my information is correct then I feel you can't really argue with that.

Why not at the point of appointment/selection so any challenges could be made ?

I am not sure how fan ownership sits with our current situation. We are owned by shareholders, many of whom are fans. They have elected a board.

For there to be any serious mileage in this the proposed fan ownership group would have to have the ability to buy out the existing shareholders. That requires; firstly, all funding to be in place so a serious offer of purchase can be made and secondly for the existing shareholders to be willing to sell.

I cannot see it myself. Achieving the first requirement would be miraculous. Just setting up the right governance mechanism would require huge amounts of work.

I am not sure how fan ownership sits with our current situation. We are owned by shareholders, many of whom are fans. They have elected a board.

For there to be any serious mileage in this the proposed fan ownership group would have to have the ability to buy out the existing shareholders. That requires; firstly, all funding to be in place so a serious offer of purchase can be made and secondly for the existing shareholders to be willing to sell.

I cannot see it myself. Achieving the first requirement would be miraculous. Just setting up the right governance mechanism would require huge amounts of work.

Sorry by identified I mean chosen. I would hope that any committee member to be elected.

As I said it is important to get the committee right, with professional people and not 'jobs for the boys'.

fans had no chance against hedge funds and the like who own most of the shares

there votes counted for nothing

fans didn't elect this board

fans had no chance against hedge funds and the like who own most of the shares

there votes counted for nothing

fans didn't elect this board

I do not disagree at all. But that is the situation. The only real chance we ever had was just prior to Green's move. If ever there had been a time for a bunch of ex players to show leadership it was then..