When the seagulls follow the trawler

quinty

I don't understand why this doesn't resonate with some....stats on goals scored, conceeded etc mean very little at this level with the massive advantages we have! We are competing against part time teams yet we are still happy to grind out results? We are vastly overspending when it's not needed and instead of building long term we are hemorrhaging cash because our manager can't coach or get the best out of players....the style of football is turning fans away. Some of you are hiding behind the belief it's just the online community not happy but I can assure you those attending week in week out are becoming more and more vocal and disillusioned!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why this doesn't resonate with some....stats on goals scored, conceeded etc mean very little at this level with the massive advantages we have! We are competing against part time teams yet we are still happy to grind out results? We are vastly overspending when it's not needed and instead of building long term we are hemorrhaging cash because our manager can't coach or get the best out of players....the style of football is turning fans away. Some of you are hiding behind the belief it's just the online community not happy but I can assure you those attending week in week out are becoming more and more vocal and disillusioned!

So how would you qualify our results under Walter, Advocaat in the SPL with the massive advantages we had. We were competing against teams with significantly less quality than us, yet happy to grind out results (or win). We were massively overspending....blah blah blah

The style of football is turning fans away apart from those attending week in week out?????

So how would you qualify our results under Walter, Advocaat in the SPL with the massive advantages we had. We were competing against teams with significantly less quality than us, yet happy to grind out results (or win). We were massively overspending....blah blah blah

The style of football is turning fans away apart from those attending week in week out?????

Attendances are dropping and the atmosphere is getting worse whilst more and more are becoming vocal towards their disdain of how we are playing and ally in particular!

In the SPL we were competing against Celtic and against full time professionals! The comparison is completely null invoid, and you know it!

Attendances are dropping and the atmosphere is getting worse whilst more and more are becoming vocal towards their disdain of how we are playing and ally in particular!

In the SPL we were competing against Celtic and against full time professionals! The comparison is completely null invoid, and you know it!

Actually I don't think the comparision is invalid. In the SPL we were competing against full time professionals, but of a much lower quality than we had, the likes of Numan, Laudrup, Gascoigne, Albertz, Porrinni, Van Boronckhurst, the list goes on, should never have been troubled by the journeymen pros at Motherwell, Dunfermline etc - yet they were, why is that? Bad management by Advocaat, Smith, McLeish or players that didn't give a shit,or was it perhaps that opposition players raised their game against Rangers, set out to frustrate us, played defensively and were well drilled. Exactly, I'd postulate, what the teams we are facing today do. That's football.

Why did Aberdeen manage to beat them twice in quick succession, their quality of players is far inferior, was it good management by McInnes, or just his players performing above themselves? If it was the former, is it bad management that they don't perform like that every week.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but blaming one man seem entirely too simplistic to me.

How bad....like losing a game?

Are you trying to be funny? How bad the entire situation gets. The football is quite simply awful, mind-numbing and is driving fans away. Game after game of wretched performances. Have you been going to the games?

I was going to continue in detail but this has been done to death on numerous other threads. If you think Ally is doing a good job then you have no concept of good football. Ally the manager is not Ally the player.

Are you trying to be funny? How bad the entire situation gets. The football is quite simply awful, mind-numbing and is driving fans away. Game after game of wretched performances. Have you been going to the games?

I was going to continue in detail but this has been done to death on numerous other threads. If you think Ally is doing a good job then you have no concept of good football. Ally the manager is not Ally the player.

Thanks again. Perhaps you can teach us all about football some day.

No.

Yes.

Still waiting for a definition of good football.

He's the same guy (tu)

Actually I don't think the comparision is invalid. In the SPL we were competing against full time professionals, but of a much lower quality than we had, the likes of Numan, Laudrup, Gascoigne, Albertz, Porrinni, Van Boronckhurst, the list goes on, should never have been troubled by the journeymen pros at Motherwell, Dunfermline etc - yet they were, why is that? Bad management by Advocaat, Smith, McLeish or players that didn't give a shit,or was it perhaps that opposition players raised their game against Rangers, set out to frustrate us, played defensively and were well drilled. Exactly, I'd postulate, what the teams we are facing today do. That's football.

Why did Aberdeen manage to beat them twice in quick succession, their quality of players is far inferior, was it good management by McInnes, or just his players performing above themselves? If it was the former, is it bad management that they don't perform like that every week.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but blaming one man seem entirely too simplistic to me.

Man city and Chelsea have far superior players to stoke and Cardiff but they still managed to lose....a full time professional team at anything will always have a chance against another full time but over the course of the season the financial wealth and standard of consistency and player will tell!

Here we are competing against part time players and yet fans such as yourself fail to see the difference! You believe that results are all that matters and ultimately that short sighted attitude is going to hamper us in years to come and demonstrates a lack if ambition that is disappointing!

"You believe that results are all that matters and ultimately that short sighted attitude is going to hamper us in years to come

I do believe, absolutely, unequivocally that results are all that matter. Who won the trophy for most attractive football last year? Who won the trophy for most innovative tactical formation last year?

I'm humbled to be on the same thread as a genuine fortune-teller/seer. Could you let me know tonight's lottery numbers please? I promise to give 82 of the 92 million to Rangers (tu)

Man city and Chelsea have far superior players to stoke and Cardiff but they still managed to lose....a full time professional team at anything will always have a chance against another full time but over the course of the season the financial wealth and standard of consistency and player will tell!

Here we are competing against part time players and yet fans such as yourself fail to see the difference! You believe that results are all that matters and ultimately that short sighted attitude is going to hamper us in years to come and demonstrates a lack if ambition that is disappointing!

I don't. They are the most important thing but not all that matters. I just think expecting consistent good performances is unrealistic.

Great OP Quinty, well written and easy reading, inspiring to the point of being uplifting, in giving us hope that things will get better if we will just hang in there, and put our collective shoulders to the oars, and support our captain, in his endeavours to guide us through the storm, to safe waters.

Unfortunately, our captain has a crew that are not, by any stretch of the imagination, pulling in the same direction, and have been under-performing for quite some time now. This is a crew that he has handpicked from various SPL teams, and should be giving us a better show (for want of a better phrase) on the park. He is also making other teams out to be serie A quality, and shows bad judgement by talking them up, not good leadership qualities. He should be talking his own team up, and demanding success from them instead. This is not apparent, and is causing the fans', (most of them very reluctantly) to lose heart in his abilities to lead HMS Rangers to a safe haven.

Sad to say, his abilities have been under question for three seasons, and do not seem to be improving, so this reaction from the fans' is by no means a knee jerk one, but one taken over a period of time, and has allowed for all the extraordinary circumstances that have been thrown at him during his tenure as manager.

A hero he was, as a player, as a manager, he is no "Hornblower", and must do better, or hand over the helm. :7325:

I don't. They are the most important thing but not all that matters. I just think expecting consistent good performances is unrealistic.

At this level? With our resources in comparison to the opposition? No team plays well every week but it seems to me that our good performances are far to outnumbered by laboured performances we have seen predominantly. The way we set up play under ally really does restrict a lot of our better players from having a consistent impact on games.

Great OP Quinty, well written and easy reading, inspiring to the point of being uplifting, in giving us hope that things will get better if we will just hang in there, and put our collective shoulders to the oars, and support our captain, in his endeavours to guide us through the storm, to safe waters.

Unfortunately, our captain has a crew that are not, by any stretch of the imagination, pulling in the same direction, and have been under-performing for quite some time now. This is a crew that he has handpicked from various SPL teams, and should be giving us a better show (for want of a better phrase) on the park. He is also making other teams out to be serie A quality, and shows bad judgement by talking them up, not good leadership qualities. He should be talking his own team up, and demanding success from them instead. This is not apparent, and is causing the fans', (most of them very reluctantly) to lose heart in his abilities to lead HMS Rangers to a safe haven.

Sad to say, his abilities have been under question for three seasons, and do not seem to be improving, so this reaction from the fans' is by no means a knee jerk one, but one taken over a period of time, and has allowed for all the extraordinary circumstances that have been thrown at him during his tenure as manager.

A hero he was, as a player, as a manager, he is no "Hornblower", and must do better, or hand over helm. :7325:

Thanks Bobby and a nice reply.

I'd take issue with your 'handpicked' comment, I think that we actually have got only those who were out of contract, so the pool in which we were fishing was relatively small. A few mistakes have been made and Kyle was got rid of and Sandaza mercifully got rid of himself.

I'd wholeheartedly agree that some of the performances have been less than inspiring and some of the players are not showing the form I would expect. I don't think he has talked up the opposition as Serie A, rather he has said that they deserve respect, anything less would I suspect be foolhardy and do little more than motivate them further.

Tomorrow will be the 12th of March and should see the League done and dusted, we are still in the Ramsdens and Scottish Cup. If you had offered me that at the beginning of the season I would have snatched your hand off.

The thing about Hornblower, and Nelson on whom he was based, neither of them started off as Admirals. Nelson won a few skirmishes at St Vincent and Alexandria before the Premier League match at Trafalgar. Indeed at St Vincent and Alexandria he was criticised for his tactics.

The most important quality that Nelson had, and I believe he shares with Ally, is that he was a winner.

Thanks Bobby and a nice reply.

I'd take issue with your 'handpicked' comment, I think that we actually have got only those who were out of contract, so the pool in which we were fishing was relatively small. A few mistakes have been made and Kyle was got rid of and Sandaza mercifully got rid of himself.

I'd wholeheartedly agree that some of the performances have been less than inspiring and some of the players are not showing the form I would expect. I don't think he has talked up the opposition as Serie A, rather he has said that they deserve respect, anything less would I suspect be foolhardy and do little more than motivate them further.

Tomorrow will be the 12th of March and should see the League done and dusted, we are still in the Ramsdens and Scottish Cup. If you had offered me that at the beginning of the season I would have snatched your hand off.

The thing about Hornblower, and Nelson on whom he was based, neither of them started off as Admirals. Nelson won a few skirmishes at St Vincent and Alexandria before the Premier League match at Trafalgar. Indeed at St Vincent and Alexandria he was criticised for his tactics.

The most important quality that Nelson had, and I believe he shares with Ally, is that he was a winner.

As ever Quinty, you are a reliable source of "Ready" facts, and I am in the group of reluctant fans' who wholeheartedly hope that our own Hero in this tale manages to prove us wrong, and gives us "Victory". I'll be rowing for that. :7325:

I think the view that results are key, and that nobody wins trophies for performance, are less valid given that we are expected to move up two leagues in the next two seasons. This is quite a unique situation and IMO not comparable to any top flight situations including our own in previous years.

There are glaring deficiencies with the basics and it makes sense to wonder how we will fare as we move up.

I think the view that results are key, and that nobody wins trophies for performance, are less valid given that we are expected to move up two leagues in the next two seasons. This is quite a unique situation and IMO not comparable to any top flight situations including our own in previous years.

There are glaring deficiencies with the basics and it makes sense to wonder how we will fare as we move up.

And there surely is the answer to your point. We are expected to move up two leagues in the next two seasons. That is the prize, the drive, the aim, whatever you want to call it. If we don't get there we will be slaughtered. Imagine Ally saying this or next season, 'aye we played some lovely stuff but finished 2nd'. It's all about the winning I'm afraid, anything else is romanticism and irrelevant.