When the seagulls follow the trawler

quinty

it is because they think that sardines will be thrown into the sea. This, perhaps the most famous aphorism in football, delivered by Eric Cantona after an appeal hearing at Croydon magistrates court has been widely quoted, puzzled over, ridiculed ever since. I took it to be an attack on the media, who circled Cantona looking for scraps of stories. Cantona treated them with the contempt they deserve and vowed to do his talking on the pitch.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of his infamous 'assault' at Crystal Palace and regardless of what you think of the man as a person, Cantona was right in one thing. The media are always there looking for scraps, picking and pulling, noisy and irritating and ultimately parasitic. Without Cantona there was no story.

The seagulls have been flocking round Ibrox park in increasing numbers for the past few years, and the pickings have been rich indeed, more smoked salmon than sardines if truth be told. Infighting, claim, counterclaim, Whyte, Green, Irvine, Mather, King, Easedales, etc etc, the list of those who, fish in hand, feed the media is long, and, if truth be told, not very distinguished. The seagulls, Spiers, English, Keevins, Thomson have grown fat on the feast, but unsated continue to caw and shriek for more. They peck and poke at Rangers and regurgitate their bile into half-truths and lies which is published in the gutter rags of the media.

But still Her Majesty's Ship Rangers has sailed on, through the tempest of Craig Whyte, the turbulent waters of Div 3 and the tricky passage of League 1, we have maintained our course and our eyes have been fixed on our ultimate destination. There is definitely a storm on the horizon in the shape of Dave King and our priority once again is the safety of the ship, it's time to batten down the hatches, prepare for foul weather and ride out the storm. There's more and more seagulls (seafarers call them shite hawks) and they are approaching a feeding frenzy.

This time it's our Captain they have in their sights, they know if they can remove him they may be able to alter our course. Their tactics are obvious, they seek to incite mutiny in the ranks.

Through the storms and heavy seas he's stood on the Bridge and guided us safely on, I'm backing him to lead us to our homeport.

Your decision is whether it's manning the oars and driving us on or standing on deck feeding the gulls.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had ex Rangers men, whom in our darkest hour when we were starving and nearly dead, and had no food, were hiding. They did not step forward to try and feed us to keep us alive. Instead it was left to strangers to step forward and feed us while the people who claimed to love us, were that greedy, that they done nothing at all.

This time it's our Captain they have in their sights, they know if they can remove him they may be able to alter our course. Their tactics are obvious, they seek to incite mutiny in the ranks.

Through the storms and heavy seas he's stood on the Bridge and guided us safely on, I'm backing him to lead us to our homeport.

Your decision is whether it's manning the oars and driving us on or standing on deck feeding the gulls.

How anyone can think that Ally is a good manager is beyond belief. The only surprise for me has been the lack of criticism of him in the media. Had it been anyone else in the position the knives would have been out long ago from the media and from our own support. What concerns me now is how bad it has to get before reality dawns on the Rangers support as a whole. If it wasn't for our off-field predicament Ally would be long gone and most of us know that, and so does Ally.

How anyone can think that Ally is a good manager is beyond belief. The only surprise for me has been the lack of criticism of him in the media. Had it been anyone else in the position the knives would have been out long ago from the media and from our own support. What concerns me now is how bad it has to get before reality dawns on the Rangers support as a whole. If it wasn't for our off-field predicament Ally would be long gone and most of us know that, and so does Ally.

How bad....like losing a game?

How bad....like losing a game?

Fans expect more than just winning at this level, we should be playing good football, winning comfortably majority of games and seeing players progress and the team as a whole progress while winning at this level, we are seeing none of that, we are only winning, by any way possible against teams monumentally worse than us

I don't think it's unfair, Infact it's the right thing.to do to be asking.the question why are we only winning and seeing none of the other stuff

Fans expect more than just winning at this level, we should be playing good football, winning comfortably majority of games and seeing players progress and the team as a whole progress while winning at this level, we are seeing none of that, we are only winning, by any way possible against teams monumentally worse than us

I don't think it's unfair, Infact it's the right thing.to do to be asking.the question why are we only winning and seeing none of the other stuff

We've scored more goals than any other team in Britain, and are leading league by over 20 points, pretty comfortable I'd say.

Can you define good football? One touch? Excitement? 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 5-4-1?

The problem is that by any fair measure, points, goals Ally is exceedingly good at his job.

Your are criticising him for aesthetics. How would you describe our style of football on the road to Manchester? was it successful? should Smih have been sacked?

We've scored more goals than any other team in Britain, and are leading league by over 20 points, pretty comfortable I'd say.

Can you define good football? One touch? Excitement? 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 5-4-1?

The problem is that by any fair measure, points, goals Ally is exceedingly good at his job.

Your are criticising him for aesthetics. How would you describe our style of football on the road to Manchester? was it successful? should Smih have been sacked?

The goals are against teams whose players don't even do this full time! We should be outscoring these teams, it's no achievement to beat these teams as it should be done, he's not good at his job :lol:

What about motivation, bringing through youth, style.of football, team cohesion, tactical changes. These are all facets of.his job where he is woeful In mine and alot of others opinions.

We were playing against better teams than us not worse and the football was still better, we played counter attack football on the deck for the most part, the football we played under Walter was miles away from the pish we see under Mccoist against teams normally.not.fit to lace our boots

We had ex Rangers men, whom in our darkest hour when we were starving and nearly dead, and had no food, were hiding. They did not step forward to try and feed us to keep us alive. Instead it was left to strangers to step forward and feed us while the people who claimed to love us, were that greedy, that they done nothing at all.

THIS....also a good write Quinty,pity many in our own support can't see the damage they've done/are doing.