older bears showed more passion for club

minstral

just been thinking the older rangers fans showed more passion for the club and made sacrifices to follow them, and in the older days rangers were your life, now dont get me wrong there is lots of the younger bears and members on here who show the same passion and love of the club. but i feel there is part of our support who just class rangers as a hobby, they turn up on a saturday then after say 30 minutes away they go to get a cup of tea or coffee, then 20 minutes left away they go to beat the rush no matter what the score is. yet in the olden days fans who could not afford to get in used to wait outside as they used to open the gates with 20 minutes to go and in they would go just to watch the last twenty min of the game,also im just wondering how many fans would walk to ibrox as lots of the older fans had to do as they only had enough money to get into the game then walk back home again which i had to do myself many times, and i know it does not make you a better supporter than other fans, but i believe thats why i think our traditions mean more to some fans than others, another example i will give is when i was 11 years old rangers went on a historic tour of russia in 1962 and we won 2 games and drew 1-1 with russian champions dynamo kiev, and when rangers returned home my father and i went in my uncles car to the airport which was called renfrew to welcome the team home, and you know what there were thousands of fans and i mean thousands, waiting to greet them, can you imagine that happening nowadays. to me we had a fantastic support who stood shoulder to shoulder, and i feel note that i say some of the younger bears dont have the same passion for the club yet other younger bears would walk over broken glass to follow the club, but its only my opinion.

What a great post Minstral - the thought of thousands of bears just turning up at the airport to welcome the team home is phenomenal.

There is little doubt some who attend now see it as little more than a pastime for a Saturday afternoon. One game I was at the guy came in about 10 minutes late - sat beside the guy next to him and blethered about all and sundry apart from football for the entire duration of his stay. He left 20 minutes early.

What a great post Minstral - the thought of thousands of bears just turning up at the airport to welcome the team home is phenomenal.

There is little doubt some who attend now see it as little more than a pastime for a Saturday afternoon. One game I was at the guy came in about 10 minutes late - sat beside the guy next to him and blethered about all and sundry apart from football for the entire duration of his stay. He left 20 minutes early.

your right dart to some its just a hobby and thats the type mr murray likes.

I see your point and it is a shame that with so many alternatives available to our younger fans that the same level of support may not be present nowadays.

It's possibly a reflection on society as a whole that our younger generation struggle to focus on certain issues because of all the opportunities (and challenges to be fair) facing them nowadays.

I can see what you are saying with regards to people would go without food and that so they could get a ticket and walk to a game. I think alot has changed included peoples working hours and priorities. If i lived in glasgow then i would give up my friday and saturday night to go to a game but some wont. As for the guy coming in 20mins late and leaving early i think they should have a closed gates policy unless there is a major roadworks delay or something but even then you just set off early.

your right dart to some its just a hobby and thats the type mr murray likes.

There is a whole generation of bears reared during NIAR who were brought up on success - some I have spoken almost think we have a divine right to be top dogs ! Also during the Souness area I think it was"fashionable" with some of the yuppy culture to be season ticket holders.

I remember in the 70's on a cold wet Wednesday night standing at the Copland end watching Davie Cooper torment the Rangers defence as we struggled to hold Clydebank to a 3-3 draw - and not even a bluenose burger in sight ! - bovril/macaroon bar/ or a dubious cheese roll !

LUXURY !

There is a whole generation of bears reared during NIAR who were brought up on success - some I have spoken almost think we have a divine right to be top dogs ! Also during the Souness area I think it was"fashionable" with some of the yuppy culture to be season ticket holders.

I remember in the 70's on a cold wet Wednesday night standing at the Copland end watching Davie Cooper torment the Rangers defence as we struggled to hold Clydebank to all 3-3 draw - and not even a bluenose burger in sight ! - bovril/macaroon bar/ or a dubious cheese roll !

we had some cold and wet nights in they days dart i dont know if you can remember itwas that cold some midweek games when there were small crowds that fans used to light fires to keep warm.

Great post Minstral.

I am a younger bear myself, but I would like to think of myself as one of the ones you were referring to when you were talking about showing the same passion as the older fans.

My Dad always tells me about when he would go all week at school without food so he could get to Ibrox on a Saturday, now thats passion.

However, I think that a change in society as a whole has an effect on the passion shown to the Club.

just been thinking the older rangers fans showed more passion for the club and made sacrifices to follow them, and in the older days rangers were your life, now dont get me wrong there is lots of the younger bears and members on here who show the same passion and love of the club. but i feel there is part of our support who just class rangers as a hobby, they turn up on a saturday then after say 30 minutes away they go to get a cup of tea or coffee, then 20 minutes left away they go to beat the rush no matter what the score is. yet in the olden days fans who could not afford to get in used to wait outside as they used to open the gates with 20 minutes to go and in they would go just to watch the last twenty min of the game,also im just wondering how many fans would walk to ibrox as lots of the older fans had to do as they only had enough money to get into the game then walk back home again which i had to do myself many times, and i know it does not make you a better supporter than other fans, but i believe thats why i think our traditions mean more to some fans than others, another example i will give is when i was 11 years old rangers went on a historic tour of russia in 1962 and we won 2 games and drew 1-1 with russian champions dynamo kiev, and when rangers returned home my father and i went in my uncles car to the airport which was called renfrew to welcome the team home, and you know what there were thousands of fans and i mean thousands, waiting to greet them, can you imagine that happening nowadays. to me we had a fantastic support who stood shoulder to shoulder, and i feel note that i say some of the younger bears dont have the same passion for the club yet other younger bears would walk over broken glass to follow the club, but its only my opinion.

I know where yer comin from brother....I call them the class of 87

Murrays supporters if ye know what I mean...its up to them of course but I personally have no time for them whatsoever :classier_than_pipeguy:

Good post Minstral and I do think you are right.

I am only 19 years old but I would like to think that I am passionate about Rangers. The feeling that erupts inside of me when we score a goal or win a match, no word could describe it. And the emptyness inside me when we lose is a horrid feeling.

I was born in Dundee and brought up in Dundee most of my life. A lot of my family are from Glasgow and my dad brought me up to be a Rangers supporter. I never really took much interest in football (but would tell people I was a Rangers fan) until I was about 7 or 8. I got to some matches. Mainly went to games when Rangers were playing in Dundee, at Dens or Tannadice. Think the first time I went to Ibrox I was 12 or 13. I had my favourite players and would watch games on tv but that doesn't compare to watching your heroes at Ibrox.

Never thought much about traditions and the history of Rangers until I reached high school really. I done a talk about Rangers and had to do a bit of research and found a few things out...At this age, I never realised Rangers were the most successful club in the world in terms of trophies. Started finding things out about past players and famous victories.

Reading some of the stuff makes the hair on the back of your neck stand.

Internet was my main source for finding things out and I am glad I stumbled across the message boards.

Today, still living in Dundee and I work through the week and most Saturdays, however I have promised myself that I will go to more games next season. Nothing to do with being perceived as a glory hunter or a "lesser" fan but simply because I want to.

Rangers are the team I love.

WATP.

Great post Minstral. I used to get to Ibrox with my dad every game when i was a young lad. Then when a teenager i used to get to games with my mates in the back of a transit van. There were no seats and we used to just roll about on the floor. It was great fun travelling to Glasgow from Aberdeen. We used to meet up with some local guys and they would get us into the pubs before and after. The good old days and i miss them.

I am a younger bear and Rangers mean everything 2 me :) circumstances have changed alot , like what u say about walking to the ground, its not exactly dear for busses these days so there simply no need , but i kinda get what ur sayin.

btw :( I am really jealous that i didnt get 2 expirence the older days tho, 100,000 + in ibrox etc :( those days looked great !

Its more a reflection on the teenagers who are around just now, so many lads act like lassys, caring more about their hair and turning their noses up at football so they can spend more time buying clothes, doing "Sports" like Parkour (running over roofs and all that) or american sports like basketball and ice hockey. And because of players like C. Ronaldo those who do play football spend just as muich time choosing flashy boots or diving than they do on their feet chasing the ball. The fans are like that too now at my age and around it, they jump from team to team or just buy the kits to say they have them - they dont have a real passion for football or Rangers, just the image you get from the kits

Good post Minstral and I do think you are right.

I am only 19 years old but I would like to think that I am passionate about Rangers. The feeling that erupts inside of me when we score a goal or win a match, no word could describe it. And the emptyness inside me when we lose is a horrid feeling.

I was born in Dundee and brought up in Dundee most of my life. A lot of my family are from Glasgow and my dad brought me up to be a Rangers supporter. I never really took much interest in football (but would tell people I was a Rangers fan) until I was about 7 or 8. I got to some matches. Mainly went to games when Rangers were playing in Dundee, at Dens or Tannadice. Think the first time I went to Ibrox I was 12 or 13. I had my favourite players and would watch games on tv but that doesn't compare to watching your heroes at Ibrox.

Never thought much about traditions and the history of Rangers until I reached high school really. I done a talk about Rangers and had to do a bit of research and found a few things out...At this age, I never realised Rangers were the most successful club in the world in terms of trophies. Started finding things out about past players and famous victories.

Reading some of the stuff makes the hair on the back of your neck stand.

Internet was my main source for finding things out and I am glad I stumbled across the message boards.

Today, still living in Dundee and I work through the week and most Saturdays, however I have promised myself that I will go to more games next season. Nothing to do with being perceived as a glory hunter or a "lesser" fan but simply because I want to.

Rangers are the team I love.

WATP.

Another smashing post (tu)

Your father must be a cracker !

Aye mate c'mon now! At least you can drive there..

16 hours for me would be a transatlantic flight, dump the clothes in the hotel, taxi to Ibrox *maybe* in time for the kickoff.

Hmm.. come to think of it, I may have to plan that for the next season. The wife and I wouldn't know what the worst songs were, and I can sing follow follow and drink beer. Sounds like a plan!

my dad (rest his soul) used to tell me stories about watching the gers in the old days. sounded pure romance even when he was talking about the shite facilities. :lol:

must have been amazing to have watched the gers at a time when baxter was running riot

My opinion too Minstral,great post,brought back many happy memories. (tu)

Good post minstral. (tu)

There's a guy sits in front of me in the Copland Rear spends most of the game texting his bird, or boyfriend, or looking up at the back of the stand to see who's shouting. He must miss a good 30 minutes of the game. Another guy along from me sometimes shows up for 45 minutes or so then fucks off. What's the point??

Defo think that some of the young guys see it as a wee hobby.

Good post minstral. (tu)

There's a guy sits in front of me in the Copland Rear spends most of the game texting his bird, or boyfriend, or looking up at the back of the stand to see who's shouting. He must miss a good 30 minutes of the game. Another guy along from me sometimes shows up for 45 minutes or so then fucks off. What's the point??

Erseholes

Good post minstral. (tu)

Aye totally agree......becoming a lack luster average family day out....f#cken shite...sad days on all fronts.