English Poppy on Tops yesterday

ruaridhmac

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does scotland have a different poppy to the rest of the UK?

For 90 years there has been separate Poppy Appeals run by different organisations North and South of the Scottish border. Poppyscotland, which was formerly The Earl Haig Fund Scotland, has run the Appeal North of the Border while The Royal British Legion has been responsible for the Poppy Appeal in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. In June 2011 Poppyscotland merged with The Royal British Legion to create the largest Armed Forces charity grouping in the UK. Poppyscotland remains an independent charity but now sits within the Royal British Legion group of charities.

Yea, that sounds right. The big bad Westminster politicians told the biggest whingers in the UK they were not allowed to go to the ceremony and they quietly accepted this. Yet NI with no land link to England turn up every year and representatives from all over the planet can make it.

They are not there because they do not want to be there, because they are anti-British rebel scum.

It's down to the small number of people they represent. Scotland, Wales and NI don't have a 'head of state' there to represent them like other nations in the commonwealth as that role is filled by the PM. The representation from NI us on behalf of all elected unionist parties which aren't either in government or direct Opposition , while SNP/Plaid are there to represent the nationalist parties. There was deemed no requirement for both parties to be present as no other tertiary political party are represented in that way nor are they head of state (or there on behalf of).

But aye big bad Westminster :lol:

For 90 years there has been separate Poppy Appeals run by different organisations North and South of the Scottish border. Poppyscotland, which was formerly The Earl Haig Fund Scotland, has run the Appeal North of the Border while The Royal British Legion has been responsible for the Poppy Appeal in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. In June 2011 Poppyscotland merged with The Royal British Legion to create the largest Armed Forces charity grouping in the UK. Poppyscotland remains an independent charity but now sits within the Royal British Legion group of charities.

Good answer, but a bloody hard read!

and here was me thinking it was Flanders Poppies, after an iconic poem penned by a Canadian Army surgeon from Guelph Ontario. I also believe (but am not 100% sure) that last year the SPFL and Poppy Scotland severed their agreement to have all Scottish teams wear a poppy on their shirts, leaving it upto individual teams to come to an agreement with Poppy Scotland. I am proud of Rangers continued association with our armed forces and the Royal British and Scottish Legions. Lest We forget

and here was me thinking it was Flanders Poppies, after an iconic poem penned by a Canadian Army surgeon from Guelph Ontario. I also believe (but am not 100% sure) that last year the SPFL and Poppy Scotland severed their agreement to have all Scottish teams wear a poppy on their shirts, leaving it upto individual teams to come to an agreement with Poppy Scotland. I am proud of Rangers continued association with our armed forces and the Royal British and Scottish Legions. Lest We forget

. Just read is explanations and it says it all!

For any lurkers on here, here's how it should be done, with acknowledgement and respect and awareness of the sacrifice.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/taoiseach-lays-wreath-at-enniskillen-poppy-day-ceremony-1.1993974

Tens of thousands of Irishmen were lost and many more injured defending our lands against the common enemy. They do not need to be singled out by religion, place of birth, or even political belief, or ignored just to suit petty, ill-informed agendas.

They can all be singled out as heroes.