Marquee Signing

AlBear.

Do we need/want a marquee player brought in this summer?

The way DK talked about the board supporting the new managers specific targets got me thinking it's a possibility.

I think such intent could be a like Souness/Gazza moment which every Rangers fan can get excited and hopeful about. It could give us the lift we need to hit the ground running this season.

Personally, don't see us attracting a player of that standard currently and they wouldn't be critical to success this year so could be seen as an unnecessary expense.

Not sure tbh. However a clear intent to invest in the squad is vital for people to be more accepting of the new board.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a tough one.

The fans would get a lift from a big name, but a big name costs money and I don't think it's financially sensible to sign an expensive player on high wages for the Scottish Championship even if King has hinted that it's something he might be willing to do.

I think a couple of marquee signings in relation to the to the level we are at would be fine.

I dont really think we need a big signing - just a good squad willing to work hard together. In order to come to the championship a "big " signing will demand a lot of cash as the Championship is a big step down. I dont think we need one from a football perspective and i dont think we want one from a wages perspective.

very difficult to get a marquee signing in imho

if we had this board in last year thinking of the club rather than themselves a signing like lampard or Gerrard may have been possible

20yr ago Scotland was an attractive

place for top players to go fora couple of years,waddel sauze and cannigia all played happily for provincial clubs ,these days there is far more competition for these guys from USA Qatar etc,

the lack of tv cash has stiffled our game

if we had this board in last year thinking of the club rather than themselves a signing like lampard or Gerrard may have been possible

place for top players to go fora couple of years,waddel sauze and cannigia all played happily for provincial clubs ,these days there is far more competition for these guys from USA Qatar etc,

:lol: Lampard was on £190K a week at Man City

Would be happy with just making sensible signings this year , we need to start building a team . Noticed hibs have signed a hearts player and they also picked up that carmichael from qots aswell . So hibs seem to be so far going down the route of signing players who have played in this division , we can still attract players of a slightly higher calibre due to our name however with no guarantee of European football , a title challenge and games v the mhanks , which have have all been a big selling point to many of our players previously, we are not going to be Able to make marquee signing this season so to speak.

:lol: good one mate.

Just for comparison can the OP tell us just what player he rates as Marquee that would play for us.

I don't have a specific idea. You could offer your opinion rather than just pulling me up on the wording.

My point was an exciting signing that impresses the fans.

That's why I said we might sign a player who is considered marquee or a bit of a coup in relation to the level we are at.

To me Allan would be that sort of signing.

He'd be a good signing, I like him but I don't see him being celebrated or moving season tickets.

I don't have a specific idea. You could offer your opinion rather than just pulling me up on the wording.

My point was an exciting signing that impresses the fans.

Marquee for me would mean Rangers buying the best player in the league/country, I doubt we will be buying the best player in the Championship.