The Best Scottish Select You Have Seen Play

Bored in work and got me thinking, I'm 32 and had had the pleasure of watching some great Scottish players play for the club.

Who would be the best Scottish select you have seen play in the flesh. I'm too young for the likes of Greig and Jardine, I remember Cooper in his later days away from the club.

I've gone for

Goram

Hutton

Gough

Weir

Robertson

Mccall

Ferguson

Durrant

Naismith

Mccoist

McCann

Obviously everyone will have an opinion but from going as a boy with my dad to games to getting my season ticket at 15 to the present day I think its a decent team.

I know Naismith will get pelters but he was a good player for us when fit.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit off topic but this got me thinking. Did we not play against a Scotland select late 80's, early 90's?

We played a Scotland select side for john greig's testimonial game, I think it was a 5-1 victory for the Bears with the man himself scoring twice.

A bit before late 80's if I remember correctly maybe mid 70's

Goram,

Robertson Gough Wier Hutton

Cooper Souness B Ferguson McCann

Johnston (Boyd or McCoist)

Struggled to put McCoist in. I always thought he was over rated. I thought Souness was correct when he wanted to pair Mo with Atilla, but like Boyd, McCoist scored a lot of goals.

In my lifetime.

Goram

Hutton Gough Weir Robertson

I. Ferguson B. Ferguson McCall

Naismith McCoist McCann

I was thinking to myself while I was thinking of Scottish players, that it wasn't very attacking, but now I look at it, it's really attacking. Two full backs bombing up the wings, McCann and the wee rat beside them, Barry doing what he done best in his first spell attacking from midfield, or controlling it. Ferguson and McCall doing the dirty work.

That team would run away with the league right now actually.

Goram,

Struggled to put McCoist in. I always thought he was over rated. I thought Souness was correct when he wanted to pair Mo with Atilla, but like Boyd, McCoist scored a lot of goals.

I don't think you say our top goal scorer of all time is overrated. As we've found out in the last three years though, he's certainly overrated as a person.

I don't think you say our top goal scorer of all time is overrated. As we've found out in the last three years though, he's certainly overrated as a person.

Nah, I was at the CSKA game when he had a nightmare. We have had loads of strikers that had they been in team for the same time as McCoist would have scored loads more. Imagine Mols in place of McCoist? He was lucky.

Goram

McPherson

Brown

Gough

Robertson

McCall

I Ferguson

Durrant

Murray

McSwegan

McCoist

Subs: Pressley, Nisbet and Maxwell

With only the addition of Steven, Hateley and Huistra/Mikhailitchenko this team got to within 1 goal of the CL final.

Heroes and legends 1 and all.

Bit off topic but this got me thinking. Did we not play against a Scotland select late 80's, early 90's?

We did indeed. It was a Scottish League XI so foreigners were permitted

The team was managed by Jim McLean and featured mostly Dundee United and Aberdeen players.

EDIT - I got mixed up. It was Scotland v Scottish League XI for the Scottish Football League centenary.

Gary Stevens captained the League Select who won 1-0. David Roberston also started.

180890-sfl-centenary-match-sfl-v-scotlan

1 - Theo Snelders (Aberdeen)
2 - Gary Stevens (Rangers)
3 - David Robertson (Aberdeen)
4 - Jim McInally (Dundee United)
5 - Miodrag Krivokapić (Dundee United)
6 - Freddie van der Hoorn (Dundee United)
7 - Istvan Kozma (Dunfermline)
8 - Paul Lambert (St. Mirren)
9 - Charlie Nicholas (Celtic)
10 - Bobby Connor (Aberdeen)
11 - Hans Gillhaus (Aberdeen)

Nah, I was at the CSKA game when he had a nightmare. We have had loads of strikers that had they been in team for the same time as McCoist would have scored loads more. Imagine Mols in place of McCoist? He was lucky.

How can you say he was lucky? He's the top goal scorer in our history! :lol:

He was lucky to get the managerial job right enough.

How can you say he was lucky? He's the top goal scorer in our history! :lol:

He was lucky to get the managerial job right enough.

Haha, all he did was put the ball in the back of the net.

We have had better technical forwards who if they played the amount of games during the era McCoist played would have scored alot more.

By lucky I mean he had a knack of miss kicking or miss placing a header and it ending up in the net. The saying about falling in the Clyde and coming out with a salmon was coined for McCoist.

Haha, all he did was put the ball in the back of the net.

We have had better technical forwards who if they played the amount of games during the era McCoist played would have scored alot more.

By lucky I mean he had a knack of miss kicking or miss placing a header and it ending up in the net. The saying about falling in the Clyde and coming out with a salmon was coined for McCoist.

We'll agree to disagree on that. McCoist pre-2011 can't really be faulted IMO, it's anything he's done since I have the issue with.

In my lifetime.

Goram

Hutton Gough Weir Robertson

I. Ferguson B. Ferguson McCall

Naismith McCoist McCann

I was thinking to myself while I was thinking of Scottish players, that it wasn't very attacking, but now I look at it, it's really attacking. Two full backs bombing up the wings, McCann and the wee rat beside them, Barry doing what he done best in his first spell attacking from midfield, or controlling it. Ferguson and McCall doing the dirty work.

That team would run away with the league right now actually.

I would bet that any team in our history - apart from the one we have right now - would run away with the top league right now.

Goram,

Actually, just take stock and think about what you are saying for a moment...

You were asked to pick a best Rangers XI. From Scottish players. In your lifetime.

And you 'struggled' to include the top goalscorer in our history who scored all kinds of goals at every level and who broke records left right and centre?

Is you first name Boaby?

Goram,

:lol:

You're either not playing with a full deck or your arse is no stranger to a priest's cock.

Yes, he probably is overrated...

In much the same way as players like Stoichkov, Papin, Inzaghi, Shearer, Crespo and Raul are.

You comparing McCoist to those players? Would any of those players have scored fewer goals given the service and the opposition? If McCoist was such a striker why not move to a bigger league (couldn't move to a bigger or better club)