Journeyman Boxers

GOAT

Was watching a documentary about these on a boxing facebook page last night quite incredible. Guys that will fight anyone at the drop of a hat, but are pretty much paid to lose. One guy had something like 250 fights and 230 losses. But he was built like a tank and keeps himself fit etc. He sometimes gets a phone call an hour before a match if someone pulls out, or he'll fight the young and upcoming boxers to give them a push. He knows he's going to lose, but his job is too put on a show and make it last the distance. This guy had only been dropped four times or something in all those loses, the rest went the distance. At first I thought to myself "whats the point?" surely to box, you box to win. But he makes 1, 2, 3 grand a fight depending where he fights, and works a full time job, so plenty of money coming in from being a loser.

Got to respect these guys tbh.

Why respect a walking punchbag? Surely with the amount of fights he's had you'd expect him to be better at his craft. Maybe he's one of they guys that likes getting a tanking. Strange.

Except they don't get a tanking, they get beat on points.

When I worked down South with the MoD I knew an ex-marine who was a journeyman boxer, used to fight almost every weekend in Bethnal Green or the old Para boxing gym in Aldershot, hard as nails and just as mean, don't know if he made any real money, think he just liked to fight!

When I worked down South with the MoD I knew an ex-marine who was a journeyman boxer, used to fight almost every weekend in Bethnal Green or the old Para boxing gym in Aldershot, hard as nails and just as mean, don't know if he made any real money, think he just liked to fight!

Was he a willing perpetual loser of the type suggested in the OP?