Centre-Backs Need More Protection - Shoot

The Dude

We are all entitled to our views and our opinions but some comments astound me.

Some people strangely believe that Kiernan and Wilson are slow and we lose goals because of their lack of pace.

I wonder how our 2 centre backs would do in a sprint against St Johnstone's McKay and Stobbie or any other centre back pairing in this league or the SPFL

Wilson captained a young team who won this division out the park last season and finished with a +70 goal difference.

The defence he marshalled conceded 26 goals in 36 games with 15 cleans sheets.

I have even seen people say Wilson is a dud because he could not break into a Liverpool team when he was 18 ? Jesus fuck.

They are 23 and 24 years of age and they effectively play in a back 2 because our full backs bomb forward and score goals.

I wonder how an exposed Graham Roberts and Terry Butcher would have coped in such a system at the age of 23/24.

Germany play a system where their 2 full backs bomb forward, many top European teams do, But they supplement that with 2 defensive minded players who sit in and cover in their 4-2-3-1 formation. We don't.

Ally played 2 defensive midfielders and sometimes he played 4 or 5 when he played Full backs in wide midfield, Do we want to return to watching Peterhead, Annan, Berwick and other lower division teams stroking the ball around Ibrox.

Andy Halliday tries but its not his game. in defensive terms Jason Holt and Zelalem as as useful as Ann Frank's Trumpet and Elizabeth Fritzel's sun glasses.

We all love Warburton's style of play, instead of going to Ibrox as a habit we are now looking forward to it. Wilson and Kiernan will improve as they grow as a partnership and I agree with John Brown on this issue, Central Defenders always mature and get better with age and experience.

We all enjoy the football but still some want another Striker in the team and oddly enough they want a defensive midfielder too.

Do they actually understand the affect this would have on the team and how it alter the entire system and method of play?

Lets all just enjoy the football and back the team and the manager.

Players will make mistakes and the manager will make mistakes too,

We have a young team who are producing more than most of us imagined, they can only get better.

One of the best I've read on here. And lately the quality of posts has gone up .

Some people strangely believe that Kiernan and Wilson are slow and we lose goals because of their lack of pace.

I wonder how our 2 centre backs would do in a sprint against St Johnstone's McKay and Stobbie or any other centre back pairing in this league or the SPFL

Wilson captained a young team who won this division out the park last season and finished with a +70 goal difference.

I have even seen people say Wilson is a dud because he could not break into a Liverpool team when he was 18 ? Jesus fuck.

They are 23 and 24 years of age and they effectively play in a back 2 because our full backs bomb forward and score goals.

I wonder how an exposed Graham Roberts and Terry Butcher would have coped in such a system at the age of 23/24.

Germany play a system where their 2 full backs bomb forward, many top European teams do, But they supplement that with 2 defensive minded players who sit in and cover in their 4-2-3-1 formation. We don't.

Ally played 2 defensive midfielders and sometimes he played 4 or 5 when he played Full backs in wide midfield, Do we want to return to watching Peterhead, Annan, Berwick and other lower division teams stroking the ball around Ibrox.

Andy Halliday tries but its not his game. in defensive terms Jason Holt and Zelalem as as useful as Ann Frank's Trumpet and Elizabeth Fritzel's sun glasses.

We all love Warburton's style of play, instead of going to Ibrox as a habit we are now looking forward to it. Wilson and Kiernan will improve as they grow as a partnership and I agree with John Brown on this issue, Central Defenders always mature and get better with age and experience.

We all enjoy the football but still some want another Striker in the team and oddly enough they want a defensive midfielder too.

Do they actually understand the affect this would have on the team and how it alter the entire system and method of play?

We have a young team who are producing more than most of us imagined, they can only get better.

Well said that man, we might be expecting to much too soon from our defense, our offense gelled from the off but we do spend nearly 70% of the game attacking. As CA says lets enjoy the good football and stay positive.

All of those centre backs had defensively minded central midfielders ahead of them. McCall ahead of Gough, Barry Ferguson ahead of Amoruso and Kevin Thomson and/or Ferguson ahead of Weir. None of them regularly had two full backs quite as prone to both bomibng forward as Tavernier and Wallace do for us. Normally one would go forward and the other would sit, we have both going forward at the same time often.

No doubt get pelters for this but I would have liked to have seen Andy Murdoch continue in that role. Wee man did well last season. /yes, he has a lot to learn but he could have been coached by Eustace and there is no substitute for game time.

In attack we are a 244 formation and vulnerable to the counter but I think the manager knows this and will be working on it. The skill levels are far better than I hoped to dare for at the end of last season, so why don't we just sit and enjoy watching our manager fix this, while giving us an attacking team.

Absolute belter of a post - 100% correct

• 10 months later...

Nearly a year on and we still have problems with the defence.

IMO it seemed like a bit of a jail free card for the defence to say they need better protection but we'll see this season as there will be no excuse for them now.

37 minutes ago, MasterD said:

IMO it seemed like a bit of a jail free card for the defence to say they need better protection but we'll see this season as there will be no excuse for them now.

I agree mate. I'm fairly certain Wilson and Kiernan will be first choice (barring a new signing) and with Barton or Rossiter ahead of them they'll have much more protection infront than Andy Halliday offered. Now they have that if they continue to get caught out the spotlight will quickly fall on them and create an opportunity for Hill. Having a wee bit of competition now will also be a factor. They could get away with murder last season since we couldn't really do fuck all to fix it at the time.

Handy you brought this post up though...my Shoot blogs will be back next week. Perfect timing, cheers.

More protection from Barton and/or Rossiter is essential but it's also set pieces where there is a fundamental weakness. Think of the cup semi and final  

I just dont think Keirnan is going to be the long term answer. I hope I'm proved wrong but I don't think I will  

An experienced and decent centre half is essential - arguably two 

17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I agree mate. I'm fairly certain Wilson and Kiernan will be first choice (barring a new signing) and with Barton or Rossiter ahead of them they'll have much more protection infront than Andy Halliday offered. Now they have that if they continue to get caught out the spotlight will quickly fall on them and create an opportunity for Hill. Having a wee bit of competition now will also be a factor. They could get away with murder last season since we couldn't really do fuck all to fix it at the time.

Handy you brought this post up though...my Shoot blogs will be back next week. Perfect timing, cheers.

I've often wondered when to bring this up. 

But do you not think the problem lies in our philosophy of attack minded football ? 

Im not for one minute criticising MW , I'm loving the style we play , but I do feel that our defence are being made the scapegoats for our cavalier style of play. Yes , we probably could improve on Kiernan  and Wilson , or whoever it may be , but no matter who it is , and it could be anyone , but we really are counting on what we do going forward to counteract our defence . 

6 hours ago, MasterD said:

On a day that thousands of Rangers supporters have been looking forward to for years let's have yet another go at the defence,how original.Nothing like getting behind your team right enough.It's all about opinions as they say.

7 hours ago, gmcf said:

I've often wondered when to bring this up. 

But do you not think the problem lies in our philosophy of attack minded football ? 

Im not for one minute criticising MW , I'm loving the style we play , but I do feel that our defence are being made the scapegoats for our cavalier style of play. Yes , we probably could improve on Kiernan  and Wilson , or whoever it may be , but no matter who it is , and it could be anyone , but we really are counting on what we do going forward to counteract our defence . 

It absolutely plays a big part. That's why I feel that the central 3 (2cbs and CDM) need to have their shit together much more. I think we might just be a wee bit more patient going forward this season tbh to try avoid leaving ourselves open.