5. Super Mario World

6. Zelda: A Link to the Past

7. Halo: Combat Evolved

8. Final Fantasy XII

9. Tetris

10. Super Metroid

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6261546.stm

So where's FFVII, Doom and GTA?

it seems Doom has been overlooked coz of its FPS Credentials which is used mostly by PC users, coz u have Quake aswell which was a global online success, the first HUGE FPS online game, also World of Warcraft which has over 8 millions subscribers worldwide and rising and the rest of the warcraft series, it seems this poll is a bit console biased..... theres also of course runescape and other MMORPG titles which ave been around for a long time and no recognized, and Resident Evil 4? fuck right off shud never be anywhere near that poll same with metroid

Yea but old games are where the roots of games are

RE4 isn't exactly the most original game ever released, neither is FFXII. Tetris was.

FPS's excel on PC as opposed to console games.

As good as Resident Evil 4 was, it just isn't a patch on the first 2 of the series.

tbh, it's widely regarded as one of the greatest games ever made. The problem is it isn't a true 'Resident Evil' and as such seems a bit alien to the franchise.

I've been playing it for a long time and I recognise how good it is - 2nd best ever, maybe not, but definitely exceptionally good. But not a real 'Resident Evil'.

I loved RE4, certainly the only game in the last few years thats managed to hold me for more than a monthm however it just cant compare to the originals in terms of atmosphere. I hated the 3rd person camera.

This is the odd thing; its atmosphere is extremely good. It's just not the kind of atmosphere you expect from a Resident Evil.

And the camera angle is an acquired taste.

To sum up; it's a terrific game, truly one of the best ever made, but it slightly alienates the existing fans of the games - albeit most still love it, but just NOT as a Resident Evil. And it brings new gamers into the franchise who will love RE4 on its own.

hey come on here. if were talkin greatest games ever made, do we not go back further than ten years ffs??? clearly this list is made up with nintendo and xbox fanatics only.

What about these games - all from years back, when playablility meant more than graphics.

Monkey Island 1 & 2 (best stories ever told on computer, comical excellence)

Sensible World of Soccer (96 being peak)

Cannon Fodder

Doom (created a genre on its own - well, it didnt, but it was the one that influenced the rest)

Mario Kart - simply the most playable multiplayer racing game ive played. Just fun. Thats all.

Super Mario World? Mario 64? Sorry, Mario 3 was better.

Halo??? Why isnt Halo 2 there? Twice as good as the original, both in single player and multiplayer.

Guest Euronymous
no sonic wtf

My thoughts exactly.

Although i gotta agree with blueboaby. Can't add much else to his comment. :craphead:

METAL GEAR SOLID???!?!

Most overated game ever?

overrated how? introduced the stealth genre, brilliant gameplay, classic storylines, good replay value etc etc

I mind years ago when I was at a m8s, I played MGS for 5 hours solid. It was the least enjoyable sequence of gaming I've ever had, bar playing FF7 solid, also for 5 hours.

I give games a chance, but both of them left me totally cold.

I mind years ago when I was at a m8s, I played MGS for 5 hours solid. It was the least enjoyable sequence of gaming I've ever had, bar playing FF7 solid, also for 5 hours.

i dont know what to take from this.

as it sounds like you are trying to slag them but the fact you played 5hrs straight says something. A game getting me to play 5hrs straight nowadays is a challenge. Not many can get me to do that.

Yea but old games are where the roots of games are

RE4 isn't exactly the most original game ever released, neither is FFXII. Tetris was.

FPS's excel on PC as opposed to console games.

Original is all very well and good mate but I'd play the arse off of Resi 4 and FFXII. They are very slick games. Tetris is great but I'd get bored of it quicker.

It's all down to personal taste really and I like different kinds of games.

i dont know what to take from this.

as it sounds like you are trying to slag them but the fact you played 5hrs straight says something. A game getting me to play 5hrs straight nowadays is a challenge. Not many can get me to do that.

I played MGS because I couldn't sleep. I just didn't enjoy it. I kept waiting for the 'catch', the bit which would make realise what a brilliant game this was. Never came.

As for FF7, well, that was an allnighter in my youth - I was bored and just went for it. Got increasingly frustrated by the random battles. And eventually got to the Shin Ra building and just decided I'd had enough.