the goal machine

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, trueblueal said:

I doubt it's us hedging the bets in this scenario. If Barry fancies a crack at England he's playing it right. A three year deal would have been better for us 

I'd guess both are hedging bets. He hasn't done enough for us to be able to justify giving him a big wage yet. He's in that zone of uncertainty where he could soon be earning alot, so won't want to be tied down on a long, low earning deal, whereas we won't be sure he's going to make it at the top level, so we won't want to risk overpaying him on a long term deal. Which is why I'd guess that this is a middle ground for both parties.

8 minutes ago, weejoseph said:

You are talking shite, the laddie has bags of potential, not to mention the best first touch in Scotland. Every ball that goes to him he traps it stone dead. A fantastic prospect. 

Your talking shite. If he can't trap a ball stone dead or Have a good first touch then we have problems, as a said yesterday I won't single any player out and want anyone who pulls our strip on to do well but. He needs to beat players and set up goals in his position and chip in with a few as well all in the top league and hopefully Europe . Every player starts out with potential its wether or not that player does something with it. As I said I hope he comes on next year and makes me eat my words but As it stands I'm happy with the little extension he has for now.

Barrie has came on to a game, but he is still learning; he still needs to add a great deal of consistency to his game, which he is doing to be fair. He would do well to commit to Rangers in the long term, and learn a lot more from Mark Warburton and Davie Weir. There is not many bigger stages than Ibrox and many players have left and found that out the hard way.

4 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

That particular point could easily have been written into a new contract. 

Possibly but I'm sure something could have been added to the contract to renegotiate depending on performances etc

I'm pretty certain this is BM's choice considering it's taken much longer to negotiate the deal compared to Halliday and Holt

Just now, jim white's a bear said:

Possibly but I'm sure something could have been added to the contract to renegotiate depending on performances etc

I'm pretty certain this is BM's choice considering it's taken much longer to negotiate the deal compared to Halliday and Holt

Hopefully that has happened, and it is possible. I just think it is good for the narrative, both for the club and for what is a young player, if he commits to a longer term deal.

The reason it took so long apparently was because the club stopped speaking to McKay regarding the contract during the last week of the window (probably to focus on signing MOH), and I read in article that McKay was 'bemused' at the break in negotiations [whilst we signed MOH] so I think that the club must have just forgot to say to him that the negotiations were on hold for a week.

Let's get McKay's contract extended next season hopefully. I would rather hope to keep him as a player for RFC for 5 years+ rather than sell him, McKay is hot talent in the football world and I think he would be a secret weapon for us in Europe. Best of all he came through our youth academy since the 3rd division and is a bluenose. Obviously you only get one career so if a big EPL team want to sign him one day we can't grudge him that as long as we get a value for money fee hopefully. I think he can be the number one winger in the SPFL so hopefully he stays with us.

22 minutes ago, trueblueal said:

I doubt it's us hedging the bets in this scenario. If Barry fancies a crack at England he's playing it right. A three year deal would have been better for us 

That's probably a realistic possibility too. If that's the case, you have to admire his maturity and confidence and someone is giving him some good advice too.

1 hour ago, cushynumber said:

True. Either way, the club isn't exactly getting a great deal, as with your scenario , we would have to pay more for his services

I personally belive if a player is good enough and has performed then pay increases are deserved. Probably less likely to leave if he feels he's earning what he deserves. Ovbisouly there's a limit to how much we can offer these days.

I'd say for our top players such as Wallace and Tav I wouldn't mind 6-9k 

Players like Haliday Holt Waghorn I'd say they deserve around 3-5k

1 hour ago, ianferguson said:

By f*** you've got high standards !

So has McKay I believe.  Watch his last two performances and see how many times he gives the ball away needlessly. no player is immune from criticism, even if he is your pal.

Have very high hopes for the boy but he has a long way to go 

Good news but like most would have liked to see him tied down on a longer deal.  Can't see Rangers having offered him a contract length any less than Halliday and Holt so clearly the boy has decided he only wants to commit for shorter term (probably on advice of his agent).

Contracts can work both ways however.  He might lose form or get serious injury over next year or so and find his prospects not nearly so attractive as they are at present.  If I were him, considering where he was less than a year ago, I think I'd have signed the longer term contract to secure my future.  If a big English team comes in for him, Rangers are not going to stand in his way providing the money offered is right.  Alright McKay himself may lose out a bit compared with if he was a free agent but  sometimes you are better with 'a bird in the hand'.

1 hour ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

So has McKay I believe.  Watch his last two performances and see how many times he gives the ball away needlessly. no player is immune from criticism, even if he is your pal.

Have very high hopes for the boy but he has a long way to go 

Did he not win motm against an SPHELL side in one of those games  ?

11 minutes ago, Amac9 said:

He is a good player who has his moments but I think he could be replaced quite easily tbh.

For me he does a lot of nothing a lot of the time. Don't see him doing much in games against celtc, Aberdeen, Hearts etc.

But he can trap a ball stone dead and has a good first touch