Appliance of Science

Ace

RANGERS hope the appliance of science can get their players into peak physical condition for the rigours of the season that lies ahead.

New Head of Sports Science, Adam Owen, has been putting the squad through their paces at Murray Park over the last nine days.

His methods are being used for the first time at the club and coach Kenny McDowall - who was behind the move to bring Owen to Ibrox at the tail end of last season - believes the benefits are already being noticed.

He worked with Owen at Celtic, before the fitness coach moved down south to Sheffield Wednesday, and reckons clubs have to embrace the new methods that whip players into shape.

Every first-team player was sent away for the summer with a personalised programme from Owen.

And already, the likes of Filip Sebo, Charlie Adam and Kris Boyd appear to look much leaner.

McDowall revealed: "The players are responding well, as we expected, and I think they are enjoying the new training methods.

"Gone are the days when players can come back a stone overweight and expect to work it off. They have to look after themselves during the close season which is quite short.

"The onus is on them to come back ready to go, and our lads have done that, which makes it easier to go on the programmes that Adam employs."

So what exactly are the methods used by a sports scientist?

McDowall explained: "The whole thing was new to the manager. Ally McCoist had heard a bit about it, but never really seen it in practice.

"I have known Adam from working with him in the past and at the end of the day, it's science. You can't ignore it.

"We wanted to bring it to the club and it's been working well. I think the players enjoy it, they are now seeing how it all works in terms of their fitness.

"They get bits of paper handed back to them at the end of sessions and they can see for themselves the progress.

"You do use a fair bit of the ball as well, although there is still a lot of running, so it's mixed up a bit and the guys are responding to that.

"When they came back last week, Adam took all their heart rates. They then get watches with those heart-rates put into it to wear during training, and a belt they wear that monitors their heart rate and feeds it back to the watch.

"They all have different zones, so players themselves know exactly what they are operating at.

"They are very interesting methods that Adam uses and we feel it can benefit us over the course of the season."

McDowall admits it's a far cry from his playing days at St Mirren when pounding around the track and terraces at Love Street was the norm at this time of year.

But such are the demands - and rewards - of the game these days, advanced methods and people like Owen now have a very important role.

"To be honest, I was always OK during pre-season as I looked after myself fairly well," McDowall told Rangers World.

"It's maybe come 20 years too late for the likes of myself and Coisty. We were used to running up and down mountains and battering around the track.

"This is far more enjoyable, but it's very hard work as well. It's important for the players to be right and build it up for the start of the season.

"Coisty and I did the tests last week as well - we have been taking part. We've been doing not bad considering we'd had a month in Florida, supping a few pina coladas."

Rangers will step up their preparations next week, on heading to Germany on Thursday for a three-week tour.

They will face two lower league sides before meeting Bundesliga outfit Hannover.

Then Walter Smith's squad return to Scotland to play Falkirk in Alex Totten's testimonial, before glamour games at Ibrox against Ajax and Chelsea.

The run-out against Jose Mourinho's side is the last warm-up match before they play either Zeta or Kaunas in the Champions League second round first leg on July 31.

"We have six games to look forward to and I am sure the boys will enjoy them as we face very good opposition," said McDowall.

"They are all important in terms of the match fitness and sharpness which runs in tune with the programme Adam has put in place."

As taken from Evening Times

This can only be a good thing but why has it taken so long, i wonder ?

I think it is a good thing, anything that gets the fatties like boyd and adam into better shape is goood enough for me. They never responded under PLG's new methods but they wont get away with messing about with walter and ally in charge!!

The qoute: 'The whole thing was new to the manager' says a lot. At least McDowell seems a progressive character...this is the sort of inititive I was expecting from PLG TBO. Like you say...has got to be a good thing.

Guest The Brown Brogue

Managers like Allardyce have been using ProZone for years to study players during games and where they need to improve.

Its about time we joined the party and made use of modern technology.

RANGERS hope the appliance of science can get their players into peak physical condition for the rigours of the season that lies ahead.

New Head of Sports Science, Adam Owen, has been putting the squad through their paces at Murray Park over the last nine days.

His methods are being used for the first time at the club and coach Kenny McDowall - who was behind the move to bring Owen to Ibrox at the tail end of last season - believes the benefits are already being noticed.

He worked with Owen at Celtic, before the fitness coach moved down south to Sheffield Wednesday, and reckons clubs have to embrace the new methods that whip players into shape.

Every first-team player was sent away for the summer with a personalised programme from Owen.

And already, the likes of Filip Sebo, Charlie Adam and Kris Boyd appear to look much leaner.

McDowall revealed: "The players are responding well, as we expected, and I think they are enjoying the new training methods.

"Gone are the days when players can come back a stone overweight and expect to work it off. They have to look after themselves during the close season which is quite short.

"The onus is on them to come back ready to go, and our lads have done that, which makes it easier to go on the programmes that Adam employs."

So what exactly are the methods used by a sports scientist?

McDowall explained: "The whole thing was new to the manager. Ally McCoist had heard a bit about it, but never really seen it in practice.

"I have known Adam from working with him in the past and at the end of the day, it's science. You can't ignore it.

"We wanted to bring it to the club and it's been working well. I think the players enjoy it, they are now seeing how it all works in terms of their fitness.

"They get bits of paper handed back to them at the end of sessions and they can see for themselves the progress.

"You do use a fair bit of the ball as well, although there is still a lot of running, so it's mixed up a bit and the guys are responding to that.

"When they came back last week, Adam took all their heart rates. They then get watches with those heart-rates put into it to wear during training, and a belt they wear that monitors their heart rate and feeds it back to the watch.

"They all have different zones, so players themselves know exactly what they are operating at.

"They are very interesting methods that Adam uses and we feel it can benefit us over the course of the season."

McDowall admits it's a far cry from his playing days at St Mirren when pounding around the track and terraces at Love Street was the norm at this time of year.

But such are the demands - and rewards - of the game these days, advanced methods and people like Owen now have a very important role.

"To be honest, I was always OK during pre-season as I looked after myself fairly well," McDowall told Rangers World.

"It's maybe come 20 years too late for the likes of myself and Coisty. We were used to running up and down mountains and battering around the track.

"This is far more enjoyable, but it's very hard work as well. It's important for the players to be right and build it up for the start of the season.

"Coisty and I did the tests last week as well - we have been taking part. We've been doing not bad considering we'd had a month in Florida, supping a few pina coladas."

Rangers will step up their preparations next week, on heading to Germany on Thursday for a three-week tour.

They will face two lower league sides before meeting Bundesliga outfit Hannover.

Then Walter Smith's squad return to Scotland to play Falkirk in Alex Totten's testimonial, before glamour games at Ibrox against Ajax and Chelsea.

The run-out against Jose Mourinho's side is the last warm-up match before they play either Zeta or Kaunas in the Champions League second round first leg on July 31.

"We have six games to look forward to and I am sure the boys will enjoy them as we face very good opposition," said McDowall.

"They are all important in terms of the match fitness and sharpness which runs in tune with the programme Adam has put in place."

As taken from Evening Times

its probably taken so long to get the boy on board cos bain was the one who was trying to tie him up on a contract :pipegreen:

Managers like Allardyce have been using ProZone for years to study players during games and where they need to improve.

Yeah did he not have something like 28 members of his backroom staff due to all the technology he used at Bolton?

Also it looks like Kenny McD is going to be a very important figure around the club now!

I thought Adam looked a touch leaner but didn't want to say anything in case I was laughed at! :craphead:

Yep, apparantly the benefits are being seen very well.

The club have invested £250K into this and I hope it pays off.

PS: The players have been tested on various pieces of equipment and via different exercises. The player who had the best results was Charlie Adam.

Yep, apparantly the benefits are being seen very well.

The club have invested £250K into this and I hope it pays off.

PS: The players have been tested on various pieces of equipment and via different exercises. The player who had the best results was Charlie Adam.

I'm guessing this means the biggest improvment and not overall best results?

He had plenty of room for improvment so it was kinda expected i suppose.

Well him or Boyd.

Apparently Gordon Strachan misheard the talk on this new technology and he and his staff have been using Prosac for the last few weeks....

:pipehorse:

Well him or Boyd.

No, I believe it was the overall best results per se.

Well him or Boyd.

Not, I believe it was the overall best results per se.

That astounds me.

I seen him take his top off after a game last season and i swear i'm in better shape.

His gut hung over his shorts.

Shows what i know.

That astounds me.

I seen him take his top off after a game last season and i swear i'm in better shape.

His gut hung over his shorts.

Shows what i know.

He's obviously been working very hard on his fitness over the last couple of months....

Let's hope he (and the rest of the squad) continue to do so. That's why we need more players to provide competition for places. One reason why Adam has had to get his finger out.

Am I the only one that thinks that Adam will be some player if he can get fit? :unsure:

He has to improve his decision making, but I suppose that will come with experience.

Am I the only one that thinks that Adam will be some player if he can get fit? :unsure:

No mate. I am confident he will become a good player for us. He does need to get fitter but is still young and learning. Hopefully with improved fitness levels he won't drift out of games towards the end.

He has to improve his decision making, but I suppose that will come with experience.

It will also come with fitness too as he will beable react quicker if he has more left in the tank and isn't tired!

It will also come with fitness too as he will beable react quicker if he has more left in the tank and isn't tired!

Aye, good point.

The thing with Adam is that he isn't as unfit as everyone says.

Both Gus MacPherson and Super Ally have said in terms of fitness, he can run all day. It's his speed and agility that has to be improved IMO.