Left Back Options ?

Davy

With the fitness of Stevie Smith still in doubt, we will most likely sign a left back.

Who do you think we should go for ?

What about David Murphy at Hibs ? He is linked with a £500,000 move to WBA or Forrest.

I'd take Fyssas. No, really, I would. He's currently without a club and is a stable and steady player who won the Euros btw.

He might be 33, but he'd provide the experienced cover we need till Smith is fit.

I'd take Fyssas. No, really, I would. He's currently without a club and is a stable and steady player who won the Euros btw.

He might be 33, but he'd provide the experienced cover we need till Smith is fit.

Not seen much of him, to be honest Danny.

I would love to see us go for razvan rat, the romanian left back from shakhtar donetsk. We were linked to him a few weeks back. We would have to pay £1-2m for him i think but i reckon it would be money well spent. Hes only 26 but has 40 international caps and has champions league experience.

I don't see us going for a left back. You might just see Broadfoot starting there at the beginning of the season, until Smith returns. We also have Murray and Papac who can deputise in that position, although they are not quite up to standard.

I'll only whisper it but I'd have Michael Ball back too.

He going on a Bosman ?

I'm not 100% sure but I think so.

It was much like Beasley, Pearce wanted to renew his contract but he got the boot and as a result Ball was left without a club.....I think

I would probably take him for a year then, assuming he took a fraction of his previous wages.

That was Ball's only real problem with us, and why he HAD to leave. If we could get him on a reasonable wage, I wouldn't complain but, as i said, I don't think we will see a new left back this season.

I would say the other two problems that Ball had was that he had the difficult task of replacing Numan and he was never capable of doing that because they were completely different players.

He also had a massive price tag that he struggled to justify due to injury!

Broadfoot may be just fine at left back - big too.

But if we want to be challenging for the title we need to have an esthablished left back playing there, not somebody who is nothing more than a makeshift stop gap IMO!

Agreed - we need those credentials all over the pitch

Broadfoot may be just fine at left back - big too.

But if we want to be challenging for the title we need to have an esthablished left back playing there, not somebody who is nothing more than a makeshift stop gap IMO!

(tu)

Broadfoot is NOT a left-back.

I thought Broadfoot was left bsided and played there quite often for St Mirren- no?

I think he is a right-footed center half.

Similar to Jamie Carragher, if you will. Capable of playing across the back 4 but his strongest position is center half.

He's obviously not anywhere near as good as Carragher, I'm just using that as an example.