Will there be a..

Bazza

Battle of the keepers this season? or is it a straight forward choice for you?

Rangers set for keeper battle

Former Rangers goalkeeper Chris Woods has predicted an exciting battle for the gloves between Allan McGregor and Roy Carroll at Ibrox.

McGregor, 25, made the number one jersey his own last term by fending off the challenge from Frenchman Lionel Letizi.

But he now faces strong competition in the shape of former Manchester United and West Ham goalkeeper Carroll, 29, who signed a one-year deal with Rangers on Friday.

Woods - who was back in Glasgow to mark the 10-year anniversary of Nine in a Row - has been impressed by the job McGregor has done so far but he believes the team can only benefit from increased competition for places.

"You need two people who are pushing each other to make sure they are keeping on the edge," he said.

"Allan has done really, really well. I've seen him two or three times towards the end of last season and he's got the world at his feet.

"He just needs to not become complacent and make sure he holds on to the number one spot, which I'm sure Roy will be trying to take from him.

"Whether Allan needs the competition or not I don't know, but it will get every bit of concentration out of him and it will just push him to not become lackadaisical, which I'm sure he's not."

The arrival of Carroll means fellow summer signing Graeme Smith now finds himself third in the pecking order.

Carroll is probably best known for the 'goal that never was' against Tottenham while at Manchester United.

A speculative shot from Pedro Mendes was dropped over the line by Carroll, who quickly scooped the ball back into play. Neither the referee nor his assistants awarded a goal.

However, Woods believes the Northern Irishman has more than mere moments of infamy to offer Rangers.

He said: "He was quite famous for the goal that was but wasn't against Tottenham. Roy is a good goalkeeper and I'm sure that he will do well.

"He went from Wigan to Manchester United and got a run in their team and he did really well."

Its McGregors to lose.

I really only expect Carrol to get the shout when injuries or suspensions occur and perhaps the league cup games

Agreed, bit if McGregor gets injured Carrol will be trying like hell to keep his place. This is what Walters after.He knows Alan needs that competition to stop him going stale.

Its McGregors to lose.

I really only expect Carrol to get the shout when injuries or suspensions occur and perhaps the league cup games

(tu)

I've never been a big fan of McGregor, but as has been said he's in pole position.

If Carroll were intended as first choice he would have been offered a longer contract imo.

I can see why Smith just offered him a 1 year deal. He's just sorted himself out after checking himself into rehab, he's a bit injury prone and suffers from a bad back.

I've never been a big fan of McGregor, but as has been said he's in pole position.

If Carroll were intended as first choice he would have been offered a longer contract imo.

I can see why Smith just offered him a 1 year deal. He's just sorted himself out after checking himself into rehab, he's a bit injury prone and suffers from a bad back.

Agree with both posts (tu)

Quite shrewd of Walter

I didn't know that.

I didn't know that.

Premiership star Roy Carroll is currently battling alcohol and gambling addictions at a London clinic.

The £25,000 a week West Ham goalie reportedly starting drinking heavily after his gambling debts spiralled out of control.

I welcome the arrival of big Roy carroll. As a Northern ireland lad i have witnessed some fantastic displays from him, he's top drawer on his day. Has shown a wee bit of inconsistency at times at club level but wouldnt hesitate in playing him when necessary. Also a big rangers fan and its always nice to know he's not just here for the money, he will care every bit as much as we do. Good luck big man.

I didn't know that.

Premiership star Roy Carroll is currently battling alcohol and gambling addictions at a London clinic.

The £25,000 a week West Ham goalie reportedly starting drinking heavily after his gambling debts spiralled out of control.

Does he like Monster Munch?

Its McGregors to lose.

I think that's right. McGreggor has the jersey and it's up to him to play well and hold on to it.

Carroll makes far too many blunders IMO, seen him time and time again get his chance at Man Utd and end up letting in a howler (remember the Mendez goal that wasnt a goal) ... For West Ham as well i can remeber him making quite a few mistakes. McGregor has been outstanding since comming in and can only get better, Carroll should be used only as back up when we are playing East Fife in the cup or something or if McGregor picks up an injury...

I think Carroll is back up. But good back up in my opinion.

AM has tried exceptionally hard to become no. 1. I think he deserves to be there now. It is hos to lose and therefore I think having Carroll as back up will help keep AM on his toes and not lose his place.